Talk

Advanced search

Choosing a Travel Cot - would you recommend yours?

(12 Posts)
ToastAddict Sat 09-Aug-08 14:33:17

Hi, I'm about to buy a travel cot, but really have no idea whether to get a "normal" one or a pop-up tent one. Can you recommend one? Or advise against one, for that matter?
DD is 16 weeks, I hope to be able to use this for a couple of years, but not that often (probably every couple of months for a week or so at a time)
Thanks

MintChocAddict Sat 09-Aug-08 14:45:20

Hi TA (guess we've both got addictive personalities) grin.
DS has a Mamas and Papas Sleep travel cot. We considered a pop up or Little life type thing but decided on M&P. Pretty lightweight and compact, but also sturdy. Has been abroad with us twice and also sometimes use it as a playpen (runs away from the anti-playpen gang!) wink

amidaiwish Sat 09-Aug-08 14:50:56

I bought the Samsonite pop up one for DD1 -
Pros: light, compact etc...
Cons: very difficult to get back into the bag, had to put blankets etc on the floor and then again on top of the mattress as it felt very cold. esp on holiday on a tiled floor.
also by the time DD1 was pulling herself up (about 9m old) she could tip it. so it became unusable.

I bought this one babydan and it has been great. quite heavy, but very sturdy and big enough that it has lasted them until they were ready to move to a bed. My mum had one which is the usual length and it became too small for them to use before they had finished using a travel cot IYKWIM.

Phil & Ted's have a new one which i thought looked quite good. Can't find a link to it though.

lynniep Sat 09-Aug-08 15:16:30

I agree with babydan suggestion. I borrowed one off a friend after my Hauck relaxnplay broke after two uses. Hers is slightly different from that one - I can't remember the name sorry but its the same in that its bigger than a standard travel cot. I'd really recommend it as my DS is 17 months now and needs the extra length to fidget in!

ToastAddict Sat 09-Aug-08 15:36:56

Thanks - I was initially put off the BabyDan as the Mamatoto website said it weighed 18kg. But looking at the Amazon website it is less than this - that said, on one page alone, Amazon says it weighs 8kg, 9kg, and 11.2kg hmm
Phil and Teds looks good - self-inflating mattress and really light..... too much choice!!

SazzlesA Sat 09-Aug-08 15:47:47

Message withdrawn

naomi83 Sat 09-Aug-08 19:04:45

we have a fab graco one we bought off kiddicare for 30pounds about a year ago. its been a great travel cot and playpen, and is still sturdy enuogh for a 1 and 1/2 year old (and should last until age 3). The mattress isn't thick but our son sleeps fine on it, and its very easy to fold and set up, and although its a bit bulky in the car, it still fits in our c3 with the buggy.
kiddicare don't hav it anymore but this other shop does:
www.preciouslittleone.com/acatalog/GRGRCOMPACT.html

nicolamumof3 Sat 09-Aug-08 19:13:38

whatever you buy do consider getting a travel cot mattress, you have to check the size on it but we found one from babies r us which fitted our travel cot. its helped us yours our travel cot for longer knowing that 'bigger babies' ie over 1yr and nice and well supported/comfortable.

theauthor Sun 10-Aug-08 10:16:33

How will you travel when you are going away?
If you will be in the car I wouldn't worry too much about weight and bulk and would prioritise comfort, especially given you will be away for a week at a time rather than the odd night.

If you're travelling by car I'd look at something like the Oomo Roomo or a Graco cot and get an extra thick mattress if you can afford it and feel you need it, as others have suggested.

If you'll have to carry the cot because you'll use trains or public transport, I'd go for a tent style model instead e.g. the Ncessity.

babyjjbaby Sun 10-Aug-08 14:36:09

the graco contour ones are good and have wheels for when it is folded aswell and a great playpen but i like the pop up ones aswell i got the samsonite small a camping foam mat under neath it but the bubble style one has got a proper

MuffinMclay Sun 10-Aug-08 16:50:09

We were given this Hauck one by my parents, and I would advise against it. It functions fine as a travel cot, but is a real PITA to put up and down. We actually had it up in our bathroom for weeks on end because we kept trying and failing to put it down.

ToastAddict Mon 11-Aug-08 12:10:42

Thanks everyone think I will pop to Mothercare or Babies R Us to check out the Graco ones - as theauthor says, I will be using the car when we travel with this (and have just bought an estate to cope with all the baby stuff we seem to have to carry around with us now, so plenty of room)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now