Talk

Advanced search

please recommend some hair-washing gear for a 3 year old who hates the suds going on his face!

(17 Posts)
freakypenguin Sat 09-Aug-08 11:43:21

what works for you?

serenity Sat 09-Aug-08 11:48:36

Boots and similar sells hair washing shields, but I've always found them more hassle than they're worth. Generally the only thing that's worked for us is to make sure that they look at the ceiling when I wash their hair, and that way nothing goes on their face in the first place - DS2 liked the comfort of a folded flannel over his eyes as additional 'protection'

Shelly679 Sat 09-Aug-08 11:54:04

what about something like this

freakypenguin Sat 09-Aug-08 11:58:00

this is the thing, serenity. i remember having some kind of ring thing when i was a child, but it seems like a lot of bother.

i did see the jug thing too shelly, but wondered if anyone had actually tried it.

like the idea of a flannel. might try that. saturday is hair wash day you see - we have given up trying doing it more often except in extreme situations (food/mud/paint in hair!) because he just gets in such a state and tries to scramble out the bath.

i try telling him to look at the ceiling but as soon as you put on the first lot of water all hell breaks loose!

any other things that work for you?

accessorizequeen Sat 09-Aug-08 12:06:08

We've bought some special superhero shampoo recently (i think it's earth friendly kids?) and ds1 will now submit to having his hair washed and put his head back so no more suds in his eyes. Up until then we had the same stress.

posieflump Sat 09-Aug-08 12:07:21

I do my two lying down in the bath
they seem to like it that way

serenity Sat 09-Aug-08 12:12:41

How long is his hair? If it's fairly short then you can probably get away with just giving his head a good scrub with a flannel or sponge (did that for a while grin) DD is the one we had the most problems with, as she has very long, very curly evil hair and hated having her hair washed (still does actually) If she whinges I'll do it too, or cry or make faces and it generally makes her laugh long enough to wash it (and then go through it all again to condition it) If she really creates a fuss I just tell her we can cut it short like the boys blush and she usually gives in. It is easier now she's a bit older (4) and we can talk about it - she doesn't like the idea of bugs and germs living in her hair <<bad mother walks away whistling>>

popsycal Sat 09-Aug-08 12:14:11

halo and horns stuff
asda sell it quite cheaply compared to other places
not very frothy

freakypenguin Sat 09-Aug-08 12:18:28

it's not that long - DH is a traditionalist so DS1 has your standard short back and sides.

hadn't thought about a different shampoo - currently use a soap-free one as he has eczema and we were advised to avoid soap in the bath...

once a week wouldn't hurt though - it's not really severe eczema.

thanks for your thoughts!

i just DREAD saturday bath nights. i always end up soaking as he tries to climb out!

popsycal Sat 09-Aug-08 12:20:04

the halo and horns one has no additive things in

i realy like it - ds2 who has mild eczema has no problem with it

serenity Sat 09-Aug-08 12:31:08

I honestly would give up shampooing it for a while then, unless he gets something incredibly gross in it. Unless you use product of some description in his hair, a wash with a flannel is going to get general grubbiness off his head and might make bathtimes more relaxed for both of you. You can then gradually introduce games and whatnot that involve getting water on his face and eventually he won't mind as much. DS2 was awful but now he loves sticking his head under the water in the bath and washes his hair under the shower with no problems - it just takes time.

mankymummy Sat 09-Aug-08 12:36:44

i've tried the shield and DS just ripped it off. tried the jug and he just turned his head and the water went everywhere.

its still a battle but the best thing i've tried is a folded up towel over his face (that he can hold on to) and then just chuck two big jugfulls over !

freakypenguin Sat 09-Aug-08 12:44:19

i thought that might be the case manky. you can bet the girl in the picture advertising the hairwash jug doesn't mind shampoo anyway!

he's fine in the bath the rest of the time - and the shower. he loves splashing his face. Just doesn't like shampoo! the bottle claims to be no-sting, and i've tried it on my face and it doesn't sting - but he just panics!

i do think it's necessary to shampoo once a week - but will try the halo and horns one.

LostGirl Sat 09-Aug-08 13:13:27

We had to resort to letting dd wear her goggles in the bath in order for peace to resume at bathtime. Made washing her hair a bit tricky but at least it was tantrum free.

combustiblelemon Sat 09-Aug-08 13:22:13

What about something like this?

mankymummy Sat 09-Aug-08 13:27:09

goggles!!!!!!! genius. why didnt i think of that?!!!!

popsycal Sat 09-Aug-08 13:39:31

hahahaha
those bars remind me of interailing 15 years ago
my friend and i took one to share in a plastic sandwich bag
roll on one month and it was so skanky you would not believe

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now