Talk

Advanced search

What fridge freezer do you have and would you recommend it? If so, why? If not, which should we avoid?

(74 Posts)
WideWebWitch Thu 07-Aug-08 22:07:54

Our fridge freezer has just packed up and as it was only a £300 one a few years ago it's not worth replacing and we need a new one.

We have a small freezer next to our washing machine so something that's half fridge, half freezer would be good.

What do you have and do you love it and if so, why? TIA for any recommendations. Or for pointing me to other threads if this is something that's been done recently.

Anna8888 Thu 07-Aug-08 22:09:04

Siemens. And I had a Siemens before that. And my mother has a Siemens. They are great. Lots of different sizes depending on your needs.

cthea Thu 07-Aug-08 22:09:17

We had a Bosch which lasted 8 years. Got a John Lewis one last February ('07) and it's packed up already.

harpomarx Thu 07-Aug-08 22:11:47

Indesit. Cheap and cheerful, looks fine, works fine, has lasted about 5 years so far, no probs. It is 2/3 fridge with small freezer on top so good if you only need another small freezer.

devonsmummy Thu 07-Aug-08 22:12:36

Don't go for Hotpoint.

We had a fridge-freezer that died after 6 mths and had to wait over a month for them to attempt to repair and eventually replace it

missingtheaction Thu 07-Aug-08 22:14:23

if you buy online check in store first that you can reach the top shelf! I didn't! cure for aids probably culturing itself up there where I can't reach it... blush

3girlies Thu 07-Aug-08 22:26:11

We bought a matching fridge and freezer by Lec from comet when DD1 was 6mths old - she was 10 in May, so they have done really well. Also my 15 yr old electrolux one, a combined fridge/freezer is still working living in our garage, so it seems we have been lucky!
Not so lucky with washing machines though, went through loads, until we got a Siemens one 6 yrs ago, still superb now.

deeeja Thu 07-Aug-08 22:27:29

I won't be buying a John Lewis one then.
Sorry to hijack, but similar q.
Avoid Hotpoint.
Miele anyone, seem good for everything else?

Twinklemegan Thu 07-Aug-08 22:33:59

We have a Hotpoint and we're very happy with it. We've had it more than 8 years, it's survived two long distance house moves and it's still going strong and looking as good as new.

WideWebWitch Thu 07-Aug-08 22:34:04

Gosh at 15 and 10 yo appliances! Didn't they make them to last back then though and am I right in thinking they build in obsolescence these days? Good point about height as I am only 5'3"!

I love my Miele dishwasher so far I have to say (bought after recommendation here). DH likes the look of this Samsung, anyone got one?

We are expecting to move to a house with more space in next couple of years so don't wnat the fridge of our dreams as we're saving thatg for the house of our dreams. Mid range ish and price is therefore fine but equally don't want a false economy that packs up in six months.

chipo Thu 07-Aug-08 22:35:58

Bosch here, have had it it for 4 years with no problems.

shouldbeironing Thu 07-Aug-08 22:36:37

I just go for cheap with the view that even if it doesnt last at least it hasnt cost so much. When I was really skint in 1984 (yes 1984) I bought a really cheap fridge. Its still going at my mum's house! Many more expensive models have come and gone at my place since then. In the garage I have a cheap fridge inherited from previous owners 10 years ago - still going strong. No rhyme or reason as far as I know - they either last or they dont. Cost doesnt seem to matter - if anything the cheap simple ones have done better IME. I base my decision on price, layout/features suiting me and colour/size available!

PrincessPeaHead Thu 07-Aug-08 22:36:47

my very nice fridge and freezer repairman told me never to buy indesit, zanussi, hotpoint, whirlpool and something else, can't remember what

said they were a pile of crap

He is keen on Bosch, seemed happy with my old Admiral which he kicked back into action and thought that Samsung were "good for the money"

So there you go. That's Geoff's view, after 22 years in the job, luv grin

PrincessPeaHead Thu 07-Aug-08 22:37:44

Oh smeg. He said smeg were shite-ola and was shocked at what they cost. "If I had a penny every time I've been called out for a practically new Smeg.."

DisplacementActivity Thu 07-Aug-08 22:38:48

Message withdrawn

Nemoandthefishes Thu 07-Aug-08 22:39:10

we got a beko fridge greezer[half n half] in november and think its quite good as fridge freezers go. Has water dispenser in door[only where you fill it up] but means cold water at good height for little people to help themselves

wrinklytum Thu 07-Aug-08 22:41:54

WWW we have recently bought a Samsung,it was very similar to your linked one,but slightly less shelving in freezer (3 not 4).I am liking it at the moment(You have to use bottled water in the water dispenser though if you live in a hardwater area like me otherwise it goes yacky.)HTH

WideWebWitch Thu 07-Aug-08 22:43:10

Not remotely tempted by a Smug but thanks for that PPH, I like plumber recommendations, it's like a car recommendation from an AA man (they rarely see Hondas apparently)

PrincessPeaHead Thu 07-Aug-08 22:45:32

I'm now feeling worried that he never mentioned zanussi. I'm not sure about zanussi. Put zanussi on your neutral list unless someone else disses it

the others I AM sure about grin

WideWebWitch Thu 07-Aug-08 22:45:47

any views on this? Dh has just persuaded me we could fit it in if we rearrange the kitchen.

frogs Thu 07-Aug-08 22:46:58

Man in John Lewis recommended Miele. Said they'd just got into the fridge market and were making extra effort. Better than Bosch for the same amount of money, said the man from JL.

Apparently avoid the ones with built-in water coolers/dispensers. They break easily, and then you're stuck with a working fridge + broken gimmick.

WideWebWitch Thu 07-Aug-08 22:47:58

OK, Zanussi is on the No list!

Our washing machine is BOUND to go next, I originally bought it v cheaply for a tenant in my flat in 1998. I really thought that would go before the bloody fridge freezer tbh.

WideWebWitch Thu 07-Aug-08 22:48:51

I do LOVE our new Miele dishwasher (I've probably said that already on this thrad, am saddo on subject), hmmm. Miele.

zippitippitoes Thu 07-Aug-08 22:50:42

a lec is 9 years old and looks like new

hard to believe it is that old actually lasted longer thsan my relationship smile

prior to that had a hotpoint ehich never worked despite new doors regassing etc

frogs Thu 07-Aug-08 22:51:08

Washing machine must def be a Miele. Accept no substitute. Higher upfront expensive, but last for decades.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now