Talk

Advanced search

Playmobil - fairytale sets - any good?

(21 Posts)
Dazy Thu 07-Aug-08 21:29:07

I've just been looking at the playmobil fairytale sets on their website but I can't really tell what you get in them. There is a snow white type one, hansel & gretel? and cinderella. I think they're about £15 each which seems alot just for a couple of figures. What else do you get?

DD is obsessed with cinderella, so I'm tempted...

Anyone got these?

Hecate Thu 07-Aug-08 21:32:36

Playmobil is the work of the devil.
The makers of playmobil hate parents and want to make our lives miserable.
If you buy playmobil then within one week you will build a bonfire in your back garden and burn the lot while laughing maniacally.

Hope that helps.

beansmum Thu 07-Aug-08 21:36:18

I haven't seen the fairytale stuff, we're more into pirates round here, but playmobil is the best invention ever. I love it, I want to covert my loft into a big playmobil world and buy every piece of playmobil ever made. You should get some.

MrsBates Thu 07-Aug-08 21:36:49

Blimey Hecate why do you say that? I had loads when I was little and my children now play with that. Dazy you could look on ebay and spend less.

Hecate Thu 07-Aug-08 21:37:02

you love it?

hmm How long have you been insane for?

Hecate Thu 07-Aug-08 21:39:41

Why do I say that?
Little bits.
Hundreds and hundreds of little bits.
2 children who insist that you put it together and then they immediately pull it apart and make you put it back together and then they pull it apart again and make you put it back together and eventually you try to superglue it but you stick your fingers together and when it dries they bash it until it smashes and then they want you to put it together again but now it's broken so they scream and scream and scream and...and...and.. <curls up into foetal position and sucks thumb?

Hecate Thu 07-Aug-08 21:40:19

> not ?
See. See what talking about it has done to me? I can't even hit the right keys.

beansmum Thu 07-Aug-08 21:42:59

ds plays with his for hours, all the sets mix together, I can stand to play with it for a while, unlike bloody trains, the details are sooo cool. little tiny trains for the playmobil children, tiny carrots for the rabbits, gold coins with numbers on for the pirates...

MrsBates Thu 07-Aug-08 21:46:12

Oh dear...Hecate...go out now while they are sleeping and bury it all in the garden.

Hecate Thu 07-Aug-08 21:48:22

I threw it all in the bin ages ago.

Never. Ever. Again.

Dazy Thu 07-Aug-08 21:57:09

OK Hecate, I guess you're not the person to ask!

But for the rest of us...is there anyone who actually does have a fairtale set? It's different from the fairys stuff.

It doesn't seem to have any little bits before you start sweating Hecate! Do you do lego, or is that devil's work too!

Hecate Thu 07-Aug-08 22:02:09

lego hurts a lot when you step on it barefoot in the middle of the night when you are going into see to the kids without turning on the light.

It also fucks hoovers up.

I give my kids no toys at all! wink grin (Sometimes, I even pretend battery operated toys aren't, iyswim. blush )

Poor deprived mites. They'll be on the therapist's couch for sure! grin

LostGirl Fri 08-Aug-08 11:19:37

I bought the snow white one for dd for her fifth birthday and she loves it. It had snow white, wicked queen and prince, plus two dwarves (you can get another 5 for £7.50 or something ridiculous!) You get the usual load of tiny accessories such as a basket, apples, woodland creatures etc etc, a 3-D play scene and the story of snow white written in about 20 different languages. For us it was well worth the money as she spends hours playing with her playmobil and especially loves all the tiny little pieces. How old is your dd, does she have any playmobil already?

belgo Fri 08-Aug-08 11:22:08

I'm a big fan of playmobil (so are my children - they have to be!) but the fairy tale sets reallya re not orth it. You only get two dwarfs in the Snow White set, then you have to send away fro the other five.

You can buy other figures seperately and tell her they are conderella.

Dazy Fri 08-Aug-08 17:47:16

Thanks for the advice.

Lostgirl - the snow white one did look like it had the most people in it. I think she would like the cinderella one but from the box picture that only seemed to have cinderella & the prince which seemed a bit of a rip off. Did you get yours online or do you know anywhere that stocks them where I could get a proper look?

Belgo - that's what I was thinking. DD is only coming up to 3 so I don't really want to give her loads of tiny bits, it's the people she really likes. Perhaps I should just get the princess & prince from the specials list.

hifi Fri 08-Aug-08 18:29:57

dd got the zoo in june, i have put the base together.anyone have a teenager i can borrow to do the rest?

LostGirl Fri 08-Aug-08 19:44:52

I wouldn't bother getting it if she has just turned three tbh. DD was nearly 5 when we first started buying playmobil for her and the joy is in all the fiddly little bits. We didn't buy the cinderella one because it did not seem to have anything in it to really define it as 'cinderella' iyswim. I would expect a couple of ugly sisters etc. Have you tried the disney store: I know it is the horribly commercial image of cinderella but they used to do a little set of cinderella and the prince, with change of outfits for cinderella. DD was given this when she is three and still plays with it today. The outfits are horrible rubber type things but wuite durable.

Dazy Fri 08-Aug-08 21:14:29

Thanks for the advice, Lostgirl. I guess I was just looking at the playmobil stuff as I think she's getting some other Playmobil bits for her birthday & it would all go together. But seeing as my ILs seem to buy all presents from the Disney shop, I expect we'll be getting some of that too!

EachPeachPearMum Fri 08-Aug-08 21:29:41

Perhaps you could get her some ordinary figures, and she could pretend they were different characters from different stories on different days? It would be much better for her imagination, and less restrictive when she's that bit older.
You could help her make little backdrops for different tales- eg tower for rapunzel, cellar to clean for Cinderella etc etc.

You need Slubber, EustaciaVye, and SoMuchToBits! they are the Playmobil queens!

LostGirl Fri 08-Aug-08 21:59:56

You can buy an individual playmobil prince and princess for a couple of pounds each and then you just take the crown and the big skirt off the princess for her to be cinderella/rapunzel/snow white etc before she meets her prince. In regards to seeing a fairytale set in a shop, I never have, we have bought most of our playmobil on line as alot of it isn't stocked in shops near us. (If you do buy through playmobil website be warned it takes about a month for it to be delivered).

Dazy Fri 08-Aug-08 22:19:03

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll keep a look out for prince / princess figures in the shops. I don't really want to pay a delivery charge on just that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now