Talk

Advanced search

What can I get my 5yo DS2 for his birthday bearing in mind I've just chucked out crates of crappy toys

(24 Posts)
PrincessPeaHead Thu 07-Aug-08 21:24:10

I don't want to clog up with more useless plastic (god save me from Hot Wheels Tyrannosaurus Rexs and the like), but I suppose I have to give him SOMETHING grin

Recommendations please. Not just toys - whatever. What does your 5yo DS really enjoy?

PrincessPeaHead Thu 07-Aug-08 22:17:24

SOMEBODY must have a 5yo and want to share? Please?

cooandtwo Thu 07-Aug-08 22:46:05

Hmm mine is 6 now, but he loves: torches (?)
lego(even lego lunch box, t-shirt)
frisbee
footballs,football socks,goalie gloves,big sports drinking bottles!
anything with stickers
magnetix
Asda have also got space hoppers and those
things that look like planets that they bounce up and down on. Only a fiver, bargain!
I'm sure there must be loads more, I'll have a think.

Kbear Thu 07-Aug-08 22:51:31

A goal for the garden?

A bike?

A trip to Legoland instead of a present?

A trip on the Ducktour instead of a present?

I love trips instead of a present grin (just buy a couple of books and new pens and paper or something to unwrap on the day). No complaints so far - we are going on the Duck Tour when DS is 7 in September.

mazzystar Thu 07-Aug-08 23:10:34

this is toy, but it is rather good
zoobs

or a huge map of the world to go on the wall
or one of those ace anatomy books
or a digital camera

PrincessPeaHead Thu 07-Aug-08 23:18:08

oh thank you for these ideas
i particularly like the ducktour and the huge map of the world (although the latter would go down v well with my almost 8 yr old who has a birthday in oct)

we have masses of lego etc because of ds1 - difficult to find things without buying for the sake of buying, isn't it?
all further ideas gratefully received

WendyWeber Thu 07-Aug-08 23:19:19

Hate to mention electronic doodahs but have you got a Wii?

WideWebWitch Thu 07-Aug-08 23:22:32

The Wii is a lot less horrible than lots of gadgets. Can he read yet? What about a Quizmo? Mind you, my mum bought one for ds and he's never shown any interest, I like the idea of it more than he does.

Or being taken to his first football match?

What does he like?

WendyWeber Thu 07-Aug-08 23:23:48

DS2 loved gel pens when he was 5. He had about 250 hmm

WideWebWitch Thu 07-Aug-08 23:24:42

Ds has a collection of Star Wars figures that he started takiung an interest in when he was about 5/6 iirc.

He still has them at nearly 11 and does play with them. they're quite small and lots of them to collect. Mind you, I think ds alreadsyt liked Star wars when he was given his first one. He has hundreds of them now.

PrincessPeaHead Thu 07-Aug-08 23:25:30

we had a wii
he broke it (accidentally I might add)
can't read yet (just starting in reception and I've been too lazy to teach him grin)

WendyWeber Thu 07-Aug-08 23:28:40

How on earth do you break a Wii? (for future prevention purposes you understand)

Would buying another be out of the question (esp as he broke it)?

WendyWeber Thu 07-Aug-08 23:29:29

Presumably you are well equipped with bikes & scooters & footballs and all other outdoor kit?

WideWebWitch Thu 07-Aug-08 23:34:50

Trying to think of some more ideas:

A toy kitchen (let's not gender stereotype)
etch a sketch
a huge art and painting set
an easel
a play house
a tree house
loads of books, assuming you don't mind reading them to him
a guinea pig/hamster/gerbil/mouse
remote control car

hope you find something.

PrincessPeaHead Fri 08-Aug-08 13:24:10

trouble is with 4 kids you tend to have most obvious things.
have bikes, scooters, goals etc. have toy kitchen etch a sketch, play house, art stuff
books always good
dogs have eaten guinea pigs and rabbits so I have given up on small animals shock

I think the collection idea is a good one - and he is interested in star wars - will have a look at those, thank you!

you break a wii by dropping it on the floor from a great height (accidentally caught the wiring and it tumbled off the shelf and landed on an edge). I'm not in a HUGE hurry to replace it I must say, but I may well do if I have no better ideas!

anyone else have any good suggestions? this is v helpful, thank you

weddingcake Fri 08-Aug-08 13:38:13

A Kite?

bubblerock Fri 08-Aug-08 14:08:11

Got a big garden?? grin

Anna8888 Fri 08-Aug-08 16:00:36

Meccano

<looking at half-assembled Meccano Eiffel Tower visually polluting decorating our dining table>

WendyWeber Fri 08-Aug-08 20:31:26

Oh, get another Wii for everybody & then get a new game specially for him.

(Find a Very Safe Place to keep it though [hmm)

WendyWeber Fri 08-Aug-08 20:32:03

hmm even!

accessorizequeen Fri 08-Aug-08 22:33:04

Dressing up costumes? My ds is nearly 5 and lived in his wizard outfit today doing magic tricks. Def. going to buy him more dressups for 5th bday as they take up such little space! What about taking him to a play or something like that? Kid friendly of course. A day out at legoland etc etc.

WendyWeber Sat 09-Aug-08 19:53:08

Oooh, I forgot my dead-cert great toy for 5-10s - walkie-talkie headsets. We had some from Argos but they don't do them any more. The great thing about these is that they're both on all the time, none of that roger-over nonsense.

These do need a 9v battery each which is a PITA, will see if I can find one that uses AAs.

(Of course if you've already BTDT let me know grin)

MilaMae Sat 09-Aug-08 20:00:25

My son very nearly 5 has just had his sticker chart reward, a long awaited Playmobil combine harvester. He has played with it no stop,adores it!!!!!!

WendyWeber Sat 09-Aug-08 20:01:17

Hamleys use AAs smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now