Talk

Advanced search

Help - I need advice on a Sling!

(24 Posts)
UmSami Thu 07-Aug-08 19:41:27

I'm currently 28 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. DS is 2yrs 4 months at mo, and I'm looking for a sling and have no idea which to buy.
I tried the baby bjorn with my DS who was very clingy but he never accepted it...he just got frustrated that he wasn't really being held and cried constantly.
Now I'm pregnant with my second I'm looking for a sling that gives me 2 hands free to shop, catch ds and comfort ds when need be without neglecting no2.
Allows me to breast feed if poss.
Occasionally allows me to carry ds who's <14kilo's while pushing baby in pram.
I tried on a ring sling the other day as thought that was way to go but could not get ds in hip position (though with a big bump it prob wasnt the best time to test!)
FRom reviews on MN hugabub seems good...does anyone have experience.
Oh yeah...just to make it harder. We currently live in Saudi, when baby is 3 months old temps will be approaching 50 degrees C! SO AC to extreme heat...want to minimise overheating!
Please help, as I'm only back in UK for a short time need to move quickly!

Psychobabble Thu 07-Aug-08 19:47:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumtoboys Thu 07-Aug-08 19:50:18

I wouldn't get hugabub in the heat as it's a fairly thick jersey fabric. This one is very similar and very cool but also supportive.

www.calinbleu.com/baby-carrier-cool-gauze-c-1_3.html

I used it with DS2 who sweated horribly in a thicker sling I had but loved this.

I also used a ring sling to quickly pop him in and good for breastfeeding.

I also ended up with a mei tai

www.slingjax.co.uk/catalog.php?category=3 for when DS1 was bigger. I personally find a mei tai easier for a bigger child but it comes down to personal preference.

I used to push DS1 in pushchair and carry DS2 until he was around 6 mths and DS1 could walk BTW.

ib Thu 07-Aug-08 19:51:16

Does it need to be just one? For the older one I would go for a soft structured carrier - the only thing ime which will work for one that big (a mei tai probably would too but I've never tried one)

For bf I do think ring slings are the way to go.

ib Thu 07-Aug-08 19:53:12

I hated the ergo's newborn insert, and it would be incredibly hot too.

ChirpyGirl Thu 07-Aug-08 19:54:25

RS's are impossible once you are past about 30 weeks, have been there! I would get a cheapy one to try out when you get a bit 'smaller' They are really handy for quick journeys where you need both hands free.
For longer trips a calin bleu gauze is nice and cool, or a MT in a thin cotton fabric would be fine. For a longer jhourney, once they are about 4 or 5 months a MT is great as it is quicker than a wrap, less m,aterial wrapped around you and more supportive than a RS>
My perfect stash has 2 ringslings (cos I love them) a mei tai and a short wrap.

You could also get a shorter wrap (say 2.5 or 3m) and use that for a back carry or hip carry as it is again less material.
Mamtot is another good place to look for pics etc and advice.

UmSami Thu 07-Aug-08 20:02:08

Guys thank you, loads of great suggestions...i'll start looking! Psychobabble - Thanks, has to be said tho', I love your's too!

mrsleroyjethrogibbs Thu 07-Aug-08 20:05:44

if you can get to a slingmeet and try some out to give yourself an idea of what works that woudl be good. if not slingjax and big mama slings have sling agents. if you are in the north norfolk area, I am your woman

UmSami Mon 01-Sep-08 19:32:47

Thanks all for the fab advice you've given so far...been looking at 'little possums' and have come up with a few that look good...I think I want the impossible sling to be honest but any opinions on the following please...
Moby or Moby D - looks good as site says can gf in it, its lighter weight, and the D seems like a good option for my toddler if need be
Calin Bleu Guaze - light weight fabric, seems quite strong too so ok for toddler...not sure about bf though
Ellaroo - can't really remeber waht was so good about this one...prob the fabric lol
Close baby carrier - this just looks too good to be true...tighter than rs, bf possible, no difficult tieing

Most important factors for me are
1: 2 hands free so can catch catch toddler and not worry about dropping baby!
2: b/f possible
3: not too hot (though as mostly in ac this will prob be ok)
4: can, if need be, put tired toddler in (he's only 13 kilos-so not a heavyweight but is very long!)

I'm worried about ease of getting it on, and getting dc in...

Help me please! Thanks

cmotdibbler Mon 01-Sep-08 19:38:51

Go mad and get two slings (the Yahoo UKBabywearingswap group is great for second hand slings) - I'd get a ring sling and a lightweight wrap like the MobyD.

The ring sling is sooo easy with a baby to pop in and out and to bf very discreetly in, and they are great for hip carries (but without a bump!). I carried DS in it all the time till he was 1, and he was hefty !
A wrap will be more supportive for longer carries, but is a little more faff to get on initially.

LostGirl Mon 01-Sep-08 19:42:34

Whilst the Moby is really comfy I found it incredibly hot in the summer (well what we class as summer over here, so mildly warm compared with Saudi I would imagine!) with all that material, someone recommended the calin bleu GAuze, or a Girasol as being cooler.

hobnob Mon 01-Sep-08 19:51:16

I had a didymos which was utterly fab.

UmSami Mon 01-Sep-08 19:55:17

Ahh the girasol...not found that yet will keep looking...
Anybody got experience of the 'close baby carrier'. it looks soooooooooooo promising
cmotdibbler: think I gotr scared of ring slings when I tried one,,,but guess any sling would fail faced with wriggling toddler and bump! I'll give e'm a second look...

LostGirl Mon 01-Sep-08 19:56:25

Just read you want to use it for older child too. DD2 was too heavy for moby after 16 lbs for carrying more than 20 minutes as it stretched so much. Moby D might be better though as I know this has a woven panel which might lend more support.

UmSami Mon 01-Sep-08 20:30:44

oooh ok I'm an idiot, got ring slings confused with pouch slings...reading more now...ring slings look soooooo elegant! I know thats not the point and will prbably get furios with extra fabric but well they look so pretty! LOL

UmSami Mon 01-Sep-08 20:39:24

Ok next really daft question...are the ring slings as secure as a wrap...saw a lady with a newby in a kari-me and bubs just looked so safe abd secure...that 2 had free thing is really important to me...

foxytocin Mon 01-Sep-08 20:54:46

Look for a gypsy mama. they are light weight and very pretty. A company called bebecannelle does them. It won't carry a toddler for very long but if you are after a thin wrap taht is good for a toddler, then a Girasol is a good one.

Also because of the heat, look at mei-tais.

cmotdibbler Mon 01-Sep-08 21:03:12

Yes, ring slings are very secure. When they are little, you can have them lying down, just like you'd carry them on your arm, then cuddle them up against your front, then do the hip carry as a quick pickup.

I am very, very glad that I didn't see all the beautiful silk ring slings till DS was almost too all big for them, so stuck with my plain black one. The fabric doesn't get in the way, and acts as a convenient sick cloth/feeding drape/sun shield etc.

UmSami Mon 01-Sep-08 22:11:30

Are hugabubs and close baby carriers similar? I'm drowning here lol

littlelamb Mon 01-Sep-08 23:44:01

I love my Close. ds is 12 weeks now and close to 15 pounds and he is still easy to carry in it. I got it when he was 5 days old because my Babybjorn was just useless - I had the posh Active one and it was hell on my back. I was able to carry ds all snuggly and curled up and now he is more upright and snuggled in. Simple to put on, simple to adjust and ds falls asleep as soon as I put him in, and will stay asleep for hours at a time. I would never go back to a bjorn

littlelamb Mon 01-Sep-08 23:45:26

Just to add as well- I ended up with 2 Close carriers as I bought another when I went away for 3 weeks and forgot mine, and even though it had been used I sold it on ebay for £43 when I had only spent £49 on it in the first place, so the resale is very good.

mrshippy Mon 01-Sep-08 23:54:19

Kari-me;s a fantastic. DD is nearly one and I have now moved onto a Mai Tai because I like doing housework and longwalks carring her. I fend it is comfiest having her on my back because I;m hands free and can bend down and pretty much do anything with her in it like that. Mai Tai's can also be used from both in nots of other tying positions. We both love it and one of the nice things is that she is at 'people height' and quite often ends up having 'chats' with people. Nice and sociable.I can have her in it all day and do allot of housework without it feeling uncomfortable or heavy. Also, with a mai tai, yo can put the baby on your back without help from other people, but you need another person to help you with the back position of the kari me. Do have to watch her pinching things off shevles though! Having bought and tried lots of slings. If I could pick one, it would be the Mai Tai, and although I didn't have DD in one when she was small, it is so comfy and convenient, I can image it would have been so for her as a small baby.

Lots of ebay people make them. There are also Babyhawk, ball bay, kozy and other makers. Most makers allow you to choose your own colours and patterns. Look really stylish too.

UmSami Tue 02-Sep-08 00:06:47

little lamb...hope you dont mind me asking but did the close work for bf?

littlelamb Tue 02-Sep-08 00:12:32

Yep, because it has rings on either side you literally just loosen them up and get baby in the right position, then tighten them a bit to keep them there. Couldn't be easier

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now