Talk

Advanced search

want to buy DS (2.3) a train set, any recommendations?

(9 Posts)
oneplusone Thu 07-Aug-08 13:03:50

A friend of mine has a great magnetic train set ie the carriages have magnets at each end and stick together. She's on hols so i can't ask her where she got it from so was hoping someone on here could recommend something.

Thanks! smile

MuffinMclay Thu 07-Aug-08 13:33:52

Brio or Brio compatible. John Lewis do a good starter kit (loop of track, train, few other bits) for around £20 (can't see it on their website atm). Makes a good starting point. I think Tesco do one too.

ChopsTheDuck Thu 07-Aug-08 13:39:28

we got the tesco one, was a bargain. Still going strong.

oneplusone Thu 07-Aug-08 14:50:02

great thanks, will look into both of those!

sumomum Thu 07-Aug-08 14:58:21

we bought this one for DS's xmas, he loves it and we'll be adding more bits to it for his b'day.

www.jesters.com/acatalog/info_bjt016.html

Overmydeadbody Thu 07-Aug-08 15:00:45

a brio or brio imitation one. All the woodne ones you can get are compatible, that's what you want and then as your DS gets older he can add trian tracks and other bits and peices.

DS has a lot of the additions that tesco do, pretty cheap really, plus metres of track and trains passed down from my bro that I think are the original brio.

snotbuster Thu 07-Aug-08 15:12:35

You can also get imitation brio at Ikea. It's (just about) compatible with the real stuff. DS has a mixture of both, the brio came as presents from Grandparents and we added to it with the cheapo stuff. He seems a little bored of it now though (he's 2.8), but did play with it constantly a while ago.

UmSami Thu 07-Aug-08 19:19:36

Bought a 'Thomas' 'Edward the Great' set manufactured by Learning Curve for my 2.4 month old son 3 weeks ago...it's more pricey than the others but he's a big Thomas fan and Daddy (who bought it for himself really!) was adamant that we get Thomas...
DS loves it, so does Daddy, Grandpa, Uncles...DS can now name his trains (we've already added to it-he loves it that much) and refused to go out today 'cos he wants to play with Thomas (most unlike him)
I looked at the Tesco one and would have bought that if left to me as much better value.
Main thing, make sure theres a bridge, or one in the range to get later...that seems to be favourite bit with big and small!
WE LOVE IT!

annieshaf Fri 08-Aug-08 20:09:02

There are great deals on Brio and brio compatable train sets on ebay, some used some brand new - worth a look. Ebay is also good if you want to add to it later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now