Talk

Advanced search

Can you give me some advice re school lunchbags-please!!!!!!!

(29 Posts)
MilaMae Wed 06-Aug-08 22:26:26

Haven't a clue,my d twins start school this Sep,anything to avoid,how big etc.

Thanks grin

Overmydeadbody Wed 06-Aug-08 22:28:09

DS's school prefers standard size rectangle ones as they fit well onto the lunchbox trolley, so DS has a few of the old school tin ones.

I don't think it really matters though if it is basically an average lunch-box size. Make sure you can easily clean them though incase of yoghurt spillages etc!
grin

seeker Wed 06-Aug-08 22:29:48

Avoid the ones made of hard plastic - the suitcase-y ones. The break really easily.

Make sure it's easy to open - and let the children practice. Too big is better than too small - and don't try to avoid the "character" ones if your littles want them - you don't have to use it!

And keep a supply of cartons of juice in the freezer to use as cool packs - that way the get a cold drink, a cool lunch and they don't have to rem,ember to bring a cool pack home.

Overmydeadbody Wed 06-Aug-08 22:30:57

get yourself some of these to wrap sandwiches in, much better than cling film or foil or sandwich bags etc.

Overmydeadbody Wed 06-Aug-08 22:33:12

agree with seeker too - let them choose them, if they want character ones let them have them, street cred in school is very imporant

Frozen juice cartons make great ice packs.

Buy some cheap plastic spoons for yoghurts etc otherwise you will loose all your teaspoons.

Put their names on any tupperware, including the lids.

hifi Wed 06-Aug-08 22:46:31

sorry it may be a stupid question but do they put there lunch box in a fridge?

Overmydeadbody Wed 06-Aug-08 22:47:41

at school?

no but the trolley is kept in a cool place, usually the school kitchen, or outside in winter

snice Wed 06-Aug-08 22:49:17

Bear in mind that most schools ban nut products from packed lunches

MilaMae Wed 06-Aug-08 22:53:03

Thanks for that-great advice grin

I was thinking about those Onya things,what a great idea!!!!!

My 2 really like the look of the Hungry Jungle ones but they look a tad small. Anybody seen any Wall-e ones?

How much food do you put in for 5 year olds???

Overmydeadbody Wed 06-Aug-08 22:53:19

yes just go on the assumption that nuts aren't allowed even if the school hasn't told you this

Overmydeadbody Wed 06-Aug-08 22:55:59

Mila it really does depend on the 5 yr old, some (like mine!) eat loads, others just pick.

See how much comes back uneaten in the first few weeks, that will give you a good idea as to how much.

What do you take on picnic lunches now? What do they eat at lunchtime now? Aim for similar things, what hey are used to.

DS always has a cheese and fruit sandwich, a peice of fruit, some veg or crackers and a tiny pot og humus, and about twice a week a yoghurt or some biscuits.

And water.

Collision Wed 06-Aug-08 22:56:23

woolies and toysrus have a good range

mine eat a sandwich, chopped veg, frube, half pck crisps/biscuit, grapes

TheLadyofShalott Wed 06-Aug-08 22:56:55

Tip from someone who works in a school - if you get Wall-E or Dr Who or anything else popular, put a strip of bright tape on it, or hang a keyring from the strap - anything so your child can identify their Wall-E lunchbox from 10 others on the trolley.

Overmydeadbody Wed 06-Aug-08 22:57:06

Wall-e lunchbox

Overmydeadbody Wed 06-Aug-08 22:57:50

good advice from ladyofshallot! There are always duplicates of popular character lunchboxes!

RambleOn Wed 06-Aug-08 22:58:51

Well, you learn something every day. I thought that freezing a juice carton would cause it to burst.

<older and wiser emoticon>

SquiffyHock Wed 06-Aug-08 22:59:29

this site has loads of types. I found that the zip-up, insulated types are the best. (Although I had to stop freezing the juice cartons as they weren't actually defrosting!)

I generally do; sandwich or wrap, one or two types of fruit cut up, a yogurt, carton of juice plus sometimes a fairy cake or a cookie. Ds also likes cold sausages, cucumber/carrot and hoummus, crackers and cheese.
I always give him more than he would eat at home and he always eats it all to my amazement!

SquiffyHock Wed 06-Aug-08 23:01:04

Sorry, I linked to an American site blush

Overmydeadbody Wed 06-Aug-08 23:01:45

DS always eats his leftovers up on the walk home from school if he has any!

RambleOn Wed 06-Aug-08 23:01:49

Ooo, juice carton not defrosting

<even older and wiser emoticon>

MilaMae Wed 06-Aug-08 23:07:16

Shame liked the dinosaur one smile

Overmydeadbody you're a star dtwin 2 will adore that Wall e one grin grin grin

Overmydeadbody Wed 06-Aug-08 23:11:03

<beams>

Overmydeadbody Wed 06-Aug-08 23:13:40

dinosaur lunchbox

3Ddonut Wed 06-Aug-08 23:14:11

We sometimes cook extra tea and use leftovers for lunch bags, like chicken in breadcrumbs or veg pasta. You can also buy insulated pots like a vacuum flask but a pot that you can put hot food or soup in, I haven't got round to getting one yet though!

3Ddonut Wed 06-Aug-08 23:16:51

thermal snack pots

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now