Talk

Advanced search

Projector and sceen instead of TV?

(43 Posts)
3andnomore Wed 06-Aug-08 17:47:48

Has anyone opted for using a projector and a screen /or even just using a white wall?

If so, how happy are you, which are the drawbacks?

Also, what things are important when choosing a projector and screen?

3andnomore Wed 06-Aug-08 20:12:08

anyone in the "evening crowd" maybe????????????

whooosh Wed 06-Aug-08 20:13:11

Biggest drawback is you really need the room to be very dark when using it-they are fab though.

3andnomore Wed 06-Aug-08 20:38:10

would a blackout blind do?

littleducks Wed 06-Aug-08 20:39:57

I dont think you can have a projector instead of a tv, the room need to be dark, it has to be mounted very high if you dont want peoples shadows in the way

great for films

SalLikesCoffee Wed 06-Aug-08 20:44:22

We've thrown out the tv and replaced it with a projector and electric screen about a year ago and it is fantastic!

Like whooosh said though, you need to make sure the room is relatively dark, so we added wooden blinds to the room, which works fine.

My husband added the following (so sorry for long post - obviously he loved the chance to discuss "his" toy wink) If you want to go ahead, please feel free to ask if you want more specifics:
When buying a projector, the contrast and brightness ratings are important indicators of colour quality. Also make sure to buy a projector with true 720p or 1080p output, 1080p being preferable.
You're not always going to watch action movies at high volume, therefore it is important to buy a reasonbly quiet projector - the dB level of the fan is usually indicated in the specifications. Best is to listen to different models in a showroom.
I can recommend Epson's home cinema projectors - they have great colour & contrast. Sony also have very good projectors, which tend to be slightly quieter than the Epsons.

A white wall isn't ideal for display, as they tend to absorb a surprising amount of light. A decent screen is a must. Important to note is the reflection gain - the higher the number, the more light is reflected back. Note that too much isn't good either, as that then produce bright spots in the image.

Cons are lamp life, and it is more hassle to turn the telly on for day-time viewing, but your enjoyment of the projector will far outway these.

SalLikesCoffee Wed 06-Aug-08 20:54:42

Our projector is mounted against the ceiling, opposite the wall where the screen is then mounted also on the ceiling. When the screen is lowered, the lower third of it is at eye-level. This results in people being able to walk across most of the room without interrupting the light source.

I think the important part is to go for a good quality projector that functions well with reasonable levels of ambient light. (For example, we can have enough light in the room to comfortably read while still having a good image on the screen at night.)

3andnomore Thu 07-Aug-08 13:12:44

Thanks so much for that Information. That is really helpful

FluffyMummy123 Thu 07-Aug-08 13:13:15

Message withdrawn

moondog Thu 07-Aug-08 13:14:02

WWW has this. She loves it.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 07-Aug-08 13:16:03

Message withdrawn

3andnomore Thu 07-Aug-08 13:16:49

but that might be a good thing....might discourage TV use grin

SalLikesCoffee Thu 07-Aug-08 15:50:51

ok, guess that's another con: people might think you're poncy... blush

on the upside: reason why I threw tele out was that room was over crowded, too full, it was in my way and annoyed me. when projector screen not in use, you don't see anything at all now.

If you're planning to watch a lot of tele during the day though, I'm not sure I would have made the switch. Not because of picture quality, because that's fine, but more because it's more hassle to switch on, screen down, etc (and I'm quite clearly lazy smile )

3andnomore Fri 08-Aug-08 12:26:31

lol at being thought of as poncy....what makes having/wanting a projector instead of a TV poncy then?

LadyOfWaffle Fri 08-Aug-08 12:28:48

oooh, they are a nightmare for normal TV watching - room has to be completely dark and you cannot stand up, and they are quite hard to watch. Only really good in a proper home cinema I think, or occasional film use.

3andnomore Thu 04-Sep-08 21:17:31

well, after umming and aahing we have now bought this lot

Hopefully it will be all good....and all that...however, we figure that right now we got an old fashioned kinda TV...I mean it is one from before widescreen etc...lol....so, can't be worse quality, really...

also, all 3 Kids now in fulltime school, me off to University soon and dh working hard....so, it should work for us! It was a to good bargain to pass, I suppose

3andnomore Fri 05-Sep-08 13:27:34

SalLikesCoffee- maybe your dh could have a look at the one I linked too and tell me what he thinks?

SalLikesCoffee Sun 07-Sep-08 12:50:49

Hi 3andnomore - sorry, didn't see your post earlier, glad you mentioned it on the other thread. I've asked dh (am somewhat of a technophobe myself), and here's his answer:

I must confess to not knowing the brand at all, so this is purely my thoughts based on the link you sent:
The price certainly is exceptionally good.
The 800x600 resolution is more geared towards computer displays than TV, but should produce images of somewhat better quality than your current TV.

I'm intrigued by the HD Ready logo that is shown on the site. The projector's stated resolution and SD-only physical inputs are too low to be HD Ready. Any HD signal the unit receives will probably be shown as a Standard Definition image with accompanied loss in quality.

Based on the specifications, I would not personally choose that specific projector - as geek true HD (& HDMI) support is a deciding factor for me.

HD aside, the most important thing is whether you like the images or not. I would recommend you set it up temporarily and test it out for a day or two. Watching movies on a huge (in comparison to TV) screen is always more fun - hope you love yours!

3andnomore Sun 07-Sep-08 13:18:07

thank you!
We are not HD'ed geared up in this house anyway...so, the HD wasn't important to us...
will let you know how we get on....
like I said, anything will be an improvement, I think...

for now we have decided that we will, for now, leave the TV in the Living room anyway...and see how we get on....but hopefully it will be an improvement anyway....
I can't imagine that it wouldn't be, lol....

It seemed such a good package, and I suppose we can alway one day get a better model of Projector....but would have at least all the other equipment already

What we also liked was the long lifetime for the lamp...that seemed quite good...

SalLikesCoffee Sun 07-Sep-08 13:29:30

Great - can't wait to hear whether you like it as much as I do! When will it be delivered?

3andnomore Sun 07-Sep-08 13:35:27

No idea...but hopefully soon

3andnomore Mon 08-Sep-08 13:03:54

hmm Projector and everything else arrived...but no screen...how odd....hopefully that will arrive soon!

SalLikesCoffee Mon 08-Sep-08 14:08:42

Hmm, wonder if it's from a different supplier, or might also be because it'll be a slightly awkward package, and therefore sent separately! Ooh, the suspense... grin

3andnomore Mon 08-Sep-08 20:23:03

indeed...
dh was cursing earlier, because the mount had one "arm" that was a bit long....but think he sorted that now....think he is feeling daunted at all the cables that need connecting....he will look at it all properly on his next days off!

Tortington Mon 08-Sep-08 20:26:58

we have this.

we dont have a tv

we watch films or specific downloaded series.

its weird how not having a telly makespeople uncomfortable when they come to visit....like ooooh ...erm....are we relient upon conversation instead of watching eastenders shock its v. amusing.

we might watch the screen for an hour of an evening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now