Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What age do you need a stroller till? And product recommendations!

(19 Posts)
Weegle Wed 06-Aug-08 09:45:47

Our stroller (Jane Energy I think) has broken after just over a year's use, v v annoying. DS is 2.2yrs and we are TTC. We use it about 3-4 times a week still (e.g. he will walk to the park/swimming etc but be too tired to walk home), and we certainly use it on long days out which we do approx 3 times a month. I'm wondering if I can get away without replacing it? I can't carry him (back problems) if he decides he's not going to walk anymore. But are we going to get much use out of it if we buy a new one now? Should I go with getting a decent one which will hopefully see us through number 2 as well (although this was a "decent" one supposedly), or should I get a cheapo one - is there much difference in handling etc as that needs to be easy, again because of my back. Also are cheaper ones heavier as that would also be a consideration for lifting in to the car etc. I got the Jane as the handles are high (DH and I are tall - both over 6ft), so that also is a factor. Help please!

Kewcumber Wed 06-Aug-08 09:49:53

why not just get a really cheap umbrella stoller on ebay or local charity shop?

Weegle Wed 06-Aug-08 09:53:04

great minds - I've trawled the charity shops and there's nothing at the moment. Ebay I'm keeping an eye on (we live in the sticks so guess that limits my 20 mile radius), but thank you - my concern with that is I won't know if it's any good till picking it up though.

yama Wed 06-Aug-08 09:55:45

Weegle - I too have back problem so have never been able to carry dd since she stopped being a baby. She started outright refusing buggy at about 2.2 so I put it in the shed and we have walked everywhere since.

She knows she can't ask me to be carried and she is now a great wee walker.

Weegle Wed 06-Aug-08 10:00:49

That's what I wondered - if I just show him the buggy is kaput - it really is, then take it to the tip, then maybe he'll have to walk? But what do you do on days out when they need a sleep? Or had your DD dropped her nap? Or what do you do if you're a long way from home and they sit down on the pavement in a rage and refuse to budge? (haven't had that but have visions!)

nicolamumof3 Wed 06-Aug-08 10:02:47

get a maclaren, last forever, they have a lifetime warranty too. Best umbrella fold you can get imo. My 2.6yr old still needs buggy some days I wouldn't want to get rid totally.

Weegle Wed 06-Aug-08 10:06:36

which maclaren would you recommend? I've just looked at the mothercare website and there are 27!

yama Wed 06-Aug-08 10:07:29

Oh, we've had that Weegle. Just last week she took a tantrum on the way home from the beach. She crawled along the pavement crying. I just waited for her to stop, gave her a cuddle and then she walked the rest of the way home.

She's now 2.9 and rarely has a nap. Back at 2.2 I suppose I just timed things so we were at home for nap-time.

bealcain Wed 06-Aug-08 10:17:53

weagle don;t know if you;'re anywhere near me (Kent) but i've jsut bought a new pushchair for ds2 which will hopefully last me through dd aswell (due on friday). anyway i have a maclaren that i absolutely love but din't like the foam handles, it's in perfect working order except that some of the foam is coming off due to so much use, if you want it let me know!

fishie Wed 06-Aug-08 10:35:26

i dont drive so still use pushchair when going swimming (mile or so away) or getting lots of shopping, since cannot walk miles carrying ds or with shopping. he is 3.3 and otherwise i wouldn't bother with it.

i've got an old maclaren cheapy in the cellar but am in london, so probably not worth the sending of it.

nicolamumof3 Wed 06-Aug-08 10:54:28

the maclaren techno is only one that doesn't have foam handles. I had a ryder which I loved and used every day for two years they don't make them anymore. i just sold it too. it depends what you are thinking of using for new arrival if you want buggy for them too maybe its worth looking at the techno?

Weegle Wed 06-Aug-08 12:05:13

bealcain - I am in Kent! Right on the west border, whereabouts are you? How much would you want for it?

notricheither Wed 06-Aug-08 12:07:38

still using a stroller at over 3 here

bealcain Wed 06-Aug-08 16:19:03

i'm as far east as you can get! not sure, what's your best offer?

3girlies Wed 06-Aug-08 17:20:36

I have a Techno for sale if you are interested, would do for a new baby too, they are great buggies. I can post it, £55 all in.

Weegle Wed 06-Aug-08 18:29:21

bealcain & 3girlies, thank you both but DH has come home and announced he will pay for a new one as he wants to make sure I've tested it out and it's as good as possible with my arthritis, bless him smile. Feels a bit extravagant but hey, I'm not arguing!

3girlies Wed 06-Aug-08 18:42:36

Nice one - go to mothercare and try your LO in the Techno and some other buggies, see how they feel. Have fun.

bealcain Wed 06-Aug-08 18:51:12

my silver cross pop came today, used it this arvo with new buggy board....fantastic. Dh has used it to go to shop just now and can actually use it with buggy board attached. handles are wider apart than maclaren and brake much easier

allgonebellyup Wed 06-Aug-08 18:52:47

my ds is 4.5, we will be using the stroller on holiday as so many hills and so very hot!
but he never uses it normally.
Lazy sod he is, though. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now