Talk

Advanced search

I've just ordered a fridge from John Lewis for £779 and 2 seconds later seen that Dixons have the IDENTICAL one for £479!!!

(22 Posts)
PrincessPeaHead Tue 05-Aug-08 15:37:59

Isn't that terrible? £300 difference?! Mad. I've asked JL to price match or cancel my order, but I'm still cross that JL's prices are so wildly different. I still, in my naive innocence, believe that "never knowingly undersold" means their prices are competitive.

Grrrrr

misdee Tue 05-Aug-08 15:38:42

they should refund that difference without quibble.

but £300 difference is huge!

Oliveoil Tue 05-Aug-08 15:38:50

are you sure it is the same one?

diff finish or extras etc?

IllegallyBrunette Tue 05-Aug-08 15:39:22

Can you not cancel the order with JL ?

FluffyMummy123 Tue 05-Aug-08 15:41:06

Message withdrawn

stillstanding Tue 05-Aug-08 15:41:42

I think the never knowingly undersold melarkey relates to shops etc. They can't compete with internet sales which don't have the same overheads.

Craziness to buy appliances from John Lewis (I think they are usually up there with the most expensive) but then I wouldnt buy from Dixons either. I usually buy appliances from internet shops (google to come up with the best deal) which are so much cheaper than the "branded" shops.

But remember to pay with a credit card.

zippitippitoes Tue 05-Aug-08 15:42:12

dont you mean online pph

charliecat Tue 05-Aug-08 15:42:16

I dont think its terrible, its JL taking full advantage of the name, the customer service and the people who dont look at dixons or currys first! You were happy to pay that price for it. Till you saw it cheaper.

misdee Tue 05-Aug-08 15:43:07

i think it does icod.

it used to be within a certain radius of the store you ordered from, and they usually make sure they are the only stockists of high priced goods, or stock their own brand stuff (jonelle springs to mind).

but i think with them now being an online retailer, they price match to other online offers at the time.

Nbg Tue 05-Aug-08 15:44:55

I'd cancel and go with Dixons.

I bought a freezer for my parents a couple of weeks ago from a company called Kitchen Science.
They were the cheapest online. When I looked at other places, the same freezer was being sold for £250 more.

Pruners Tue 05-Aug-08 15:45:57

Message withdrawn

mosschops30 Tue 05-Aug-08 15:47:00

John Lewis do a price match, even when you havent bought elsewhere. Phone them and say youve seen the same one for cheaper

PrincessPeaHead Tue 05-Aug-08 15:47:18

they don't pricematch to normal online shops, but they do pricematch to shops like dixons.

the dixons thing isn't an online offer, it is their price for this fridge which you can get if you walk into the shop and order it. It is def the same fridge - samsung rsa1dhmh... they even have the same photo on their sites....

charliecat I didn't think the "never knowingly undersold" meant "we'll charge what we like but if we get caught out we'll give you the difference", I thought it meant "buy in confidence from us because we spend the whole time checking the market to ensure we are competitive". I agree I'd pay an extra £30 to buy from JL rather than Dixons, but not an extra £300...!

IdrisTheDragon Tue 05-Aug-08 15:47:51

Just looked at the website and it says

We do not apply our shops' 'Never Knowingly Undersold' pricing promise to our online and catalogue prices. We do not price match any online or catalogue competitor prices. This is because we are unable to verify the availability and comparability of the goods and the standards of service and support that are offered by others. However, you can always be assured of the same dedication to competitive pricing and exceptional value you find in our department stores. For information on our shops' ‘Never Knowingly Undersold' statement, please contact your local branch.

PrincessPeaHead Tue 05-Aug-08 15:48:04

I've sent all the details to JL saying "pricematch or cancel my order" so lets see what they say

wheresthehamster Tue 05-Aug-08 15:48:49

Also you normally get a free extended warranty with JLP.

Pruners Tue 05-Aug-08 15:49:27

Message withdrawn

PrincessPeaHead Tue 05-Aug-08 15:49:55

ahhh idris. well lets see what they say. I think ignoring a £300 differential would give the lie to their claim to be dedicated to competitive pricing and exceptional value grin

funnypeculiar Tue 05-Aug-08 15:51:20

Be warned, the JL pricematch thing can take WEEKS to come through - I challenged on a fridge freezer I'd seen in a shop about 100m away for £100 cheaper - it still took about 4 weeks for them to agree...

wheresthehamster Tue 05-Aug-08 15:58:06

It would be interesting to hear what they say. £300 is a big difference. The RRP is between £479 and £799. But no one else is selling it for that much

CaptainUnderpants Tue 05-Aug-08 16:22:12

I tried to challenge them once over a BBQ which I bought off line from THEM and was being sold at a grden centre alot cheaper. There response was that the BBQ from them was specailly made for JL =- which was a load of crap , as it was same make & model in local shop hmm.

I gave up after a while - I know a cope out but I bet they say the same thing about your
fridge ' sepcailly made for JL so therfore not available anywhere else '

PrincessPeaHead Tue 05-Aug-08 16:58:28

actually I can't be bothered to wait for them to come back to me, I've cancelled and ordered from dixons.
I don't care about guarantee etc, it is to leave in a house I'm selling so I can take my expensive Maytag with me grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now