Talk

Advanced search

Help! Best cheap pram...

(31 Posts)
JudyJones Sun 03-Aug-08 21:52:56

I am expecting DC1 and, feeling utterly overwhelmed on the subjects of buggies, bought a Maclaren XLR, as my sister and a childminder acquaintance swear by them. But I can't help but feel that I have chosen the wrong thing. I really, really want something where the baby faces me from birth - I want to see my baby and for my baby to see me. Turns out DH strongly feels the same. So, do I buy a cheap pram that will last six months and then use the Maclaren? Or should I sell the (unopened, unused) Maclaren on eBay and buy something else? But what? The sheer array and the impossibility of getting any sensible advice in shops makes my head feel close to explosion.

littleducks Sun 03-Aug-08 21:59:13

Could you ask about if anyone had a pram, as the are only useful for a short time people do tend to want to pass them on so they have some use. The maclaren will be useful for a longer period of time but a pram with a tiny baby in is lovely, they can wriggle and sleep well

ilovemydog Sun 03-Aug-08 22:04:35

It is totally overwheming!

It really depends - do you want DC to lie flat? Do you take public transport or have a car?

I loved my Bugaboo (bought by my mother!) as had a pram facility where the baby could lie flat. Also the car seat (maxi cosi) was able to fit right onto the chassis which was great as you will find out, babies will fall asleep in cars, and this way you don't have to take them up!

What about a Quinny? They are quite durable and one of them has a pram attachment...

strawberriesandcream01 Sun 03-Aug-08 22:06:39

Keep the maclaren as it will be a great light weight buggy, everyone ends up with a maclaren! I know exactly how you feel, bombarded with advice from a baby shop!

Try and ask around to borrow a pram for a few months or pick up a cheap one off ebay or newspaper, whatever you do, dont go out and buy the all singing and dancing brand new pram as I swear after a year you will be using the maclaren!

CarGirl Sun 03-Aug-08 22:09:42

Personally I would recommend a 2nd hand bugaboo frog (they've really come down in price) and later on if you really want to downsize to a maclaren get a quest. My daughter is still rear facing (when I can get her in a pushchair) at nearly 3.

I actually find the techno/xlr a bit too high and quite heavy.

I do a lot of walking etc which does influence my decisions as I don't need to put it in and out of the car often.

JudyJones Sun 03-Aug-08 22:23:30

<hyperventilation starts to ease>
Thanks everyone... we don't have a car, so folding down size not a huge problem - but we do live in the city and may need to use public transport a bit in the first few months...
I am very tempted to look for a second-hand bugaboo, as a friend says that everyone she knew who had one raved. But even narrowing down to that on eBay, it's so hard to get my head around the various sorts and the trillion attachments and extras you need to consider. And even second-hand they are pricey!
But then everything apart from a Bugaboo or Maclaren seems to attract such mixed reviews - it's either the greatest or the worst thing ever. I was determined not to waste money - ha! I am going to end up with two buggies before I even have a baby grin.
Is it worth holding out for an NCT sale? Buggies/prams are such impossibly hot property on eBay, I imagine they would be at a nearly new sale too?

CarGirl Sun 03-Aug-08 22:27:30

okay

Bugaboo Bee very good for city dwellers but a new product and still very pricey

Bugaboo cameleon (2008 chassis with hard tyres, older chassis with air tyres) largest carrycot & seat version

Bugaboo gecko small version of the cameleon

Bugaboo frog - in between the gecko & cameleon this is what they did first and then switched to making the cam which is slightly bigger and gecko that is smaller.

You would need a frog with a carrycot and seat unit (2 different bits of fabric that go onto the same bit of frame one at a time) - the raincover and shopping basket (underneath) and hood and apron are all part of the standard kit and you shouldn't need anything else additional. HTH

ilovemydog Sun 03-Aug-08 22:29:58

Here's an idea - most parents/grandparents like to buy prams - I don't know why, but it just seems to be in their job description!

is this on the cards?

Narrow down your choice and then go into Mothercare with DH and go for a test drive including putting it up and down.

To be honest though, for the first few months I could count on one hand the number of times DD and DS as newborns went into their pram. They mainly went out in a sling.

RuffleTheAnimal Sun 03-Aug-08 22:33:28

got no idea whats 'out there' atm but know what you mean. i scoffed so much at tales of dp's ex having 5 or 6 pram/buggies, then went on to never be happy with one and make my way through seemingly hundreds of the sodding things!

good luck on your quest - but my advice, is dont try to find the 'perfect' one for you coz it doesnt exist. (bitter experience).

maclarens are v practical for public transport... as is a nice sling as it happens, have you thoguht about one of those? its another whole minefield of types/designs but youll get lots of advice on here if you need one.

scruffyy Sun 03-Aug-08 22:45:05

May I suggest you make a list of what you want from your pushchair and then go to somewhere which has a large variety of display models and find one or two that do what you want them to do. Really "have a go" with them and decide from there. Can you not take your Maclaren back if it hasn't been used and either swap it for your new chosen model or get a refund?

angel1976 Sun 03-Aug-08 22:55:10

I'm selling a Bugaboo Chameleon if you fancy one! LOL...

naomi83 Mon 04-Aug-08 15:35:42

mamas and papas pramette seems to fit your needs, its great for public transport, is a pram for first few months and after that a folding buggy like mcclaren, although a bit more padded. we had a pliko p3, and used the carrycot attachment as a pram and then the buggy without as our main buggy. we've not needed to switch to a lightweight one as its only 7kg, same as mcclaren, but with a fab sunshade. also car seat clicks in (although wouldn't recommend it.) The pram bit was fab as soon as ds was 4months he wants to look at the world and not at me anymore! it doesn't fold as flat as the mac, but can be done one handed, although it takes a bit of practice. There are loads on ebay.

strawberriesandcream01 Mon 04-Aug-08 22:02:03

I have had loads of prams over past 5 years, abit of a pramoholic! I have always wanted a Bugaboo and finally brought one last years when DD was about 16 months (although wished I had had it from birth). It is the best ever, we have the frog, it comes with the pram and seat fabric and can probably pick one up off ebay.

I had a Mamas and Papas pramette which I loved when DD was tiny but as she got older I found it so heavy to lift up kirbs etc that sold it and brought my bug!

CoolYourJets Mon 04-Aug-08 22:09:44

Take it back and get a chicco trio for 4 me.

I have one and I love it.

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Mon 04-Aug-08 22:13:25

Ask your local library (or amazon) and get hold of the Which? Guide to Baby Products - it is absolutely fantastic, with a questionnaire to help you think about what you need/want, in prams and all. It will save you buying a lot of useless stuff as well.

Nemoandthefishes Mon 04-Aug-08 22:17:31

have you thought about going to a carboot sale and seeing what is there?? I picked up a mamas and papas pliko yesterday for £5 and all the covers come off to be washed. They have lots of baby type prams with carrycots for cheap prices that can be completely stripped and washed

PInkyminkyohnooo Mon 04-Aug-08 22:21:48

I loved my bugaboo frog- and I think it was nicer than the Chameleon, soifyou find one at a good price on ebay I recommend it.

I've got a second hand micralite with a carrycot and I have been very pleased with the puushchair- hev to wait til DC3 arries to try out the caryycot, but I do recommend carrycots in general.

I'd return the maclaren if you don't want it and get full refund.

I've only had three prams alltogether- I only sold the frog because we were having two so close together, I sold it and bought a new P&T and the micralite. If you choose carefully you shouldn't need to buy lots of different pushchairs.

Write a list of what you need/want from your pram and go from there.

Mothercare is good for trying them out, but very expensive for actually buying.

theauthor Mon 04-Aug-08 22:38:50

Oh no don't buy that book PHD - buy mine - it's on the same subject but a much more lighthearted read!
Can I say the name of it??! I am a proper MNer although I've name changed here as otherwise everyone will know my real name if I mention the book....!

theauthor Mon 04-Aug-08 22:41:16

p.s. a sling would be great for public transport.
Most nursery retailers will accept returns quite readily so you should be able to get a refund on the Maclaren.

tweeni Mon 04-Aug-08 22:42:15

Do you mind using second hand? Cos i have a fab 3 wheeler that has a rear facing pushchair seat. I don't have a carry cot for it but I believe you can buy them.

JudyJones Fri 08-Aug-08 10:06:06

Thanks guys, I am now really tending towards a Bugaboo Frog, off ebay or somesuch, as it seems I might be able to get one for about £175. It's more than I was hoping to pay for a cheap stop-gap pram, but I am reassured by the chorus of approval.

I think the Frog actually looks better than the more recent Bugaboo models. And I fear, I fear, vanity might have a tiny bit to do with my decision! No other explanation for the feeling of frumpdom that overcame me every time I looked at the Maclaren. I hang my head in shame -- in a few months I will have MUCH more important things (like a screaming baby) on my hands...

Tweeni, what is yopur three-wheeler like. Is it <whispers> pretty"?

The author, go on, go on, name your book!

Naetha Fri 08-Aug-08 10:24:53

Although I love the idea of going all over the place with my DS in a sling, it just never worked out. He is 7 months now, we've bought three slings, road-tested another three or four and he's hated every single one. That and the fact that he is now 22lbs means that they're just not practical other than for very brief trips.

We got a Quinny Buzz, (which I know is by no means cheap) and it's been awesome so far. Faces forwards and back, sturdy enough to do a little off-roading, very comfortable seat (the only place where DS will fall asleep of his own accord, even if it's not moving), Maxi Cosi car-seat slots in, adjustable handle height (v important if you and your DH (or anyone else using the pushchair) are different heights), and although doesn't fold up particularly small or isn't particularly light, is OK on most public transport, and I can lift it up the three steps to our front door with DS in it.

Having said all of that...I can see us moving to an umbrella style pushchair (probably a Maclaren Techno XT <hides>) once DS starts getting more independent, probably in about 6-8 months time.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Fri 08-Aug-08 10:26:37

I have a Britax pram for sale if you don't mind a preloved pram. I would advise you buy a new mattress. I loved the pram. Could see the baby all the time and it lasts a few months, until you would want to change to a light weight buggy.

theauthor Fri 08-Aug-08 11:47:16

Judy - it's here....http://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Buy-Your-Baby-Equipment/dp/1905410360/ref=sr11?ie=UTF8&s=book s&qid=1213883862&sr=8-1

It's more chatty than the Which one and infinitely better of course wink.

Comes out properly on Sept 8th so you can't buy it yet.

(I am a real MNer I promise and not just some horrid person pretending to be one! I just namechange sometimes to preserve anonymity.)

theauthor Fri 08-Aug-08 11:49:12

P.s. I promise I won't keep mentioning it on the boards - it's just that the Which one got mentioned and I couldn't help it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now