Talk

Advanced search

Shade a babe. Do you have one and is it any good?

(28 Posts)
EyeballsintheSky Sun 03-Aug-08 21:16:31

6 month old dd has almost translucent skin she's so fair and I'm terrified of her burning. Parasols don't seem to provide enough cover and need constant rearranging. So I was looking at a full shade.

Also does it really fit most buggies? I have an iCandy Apple, a Maclaren Techno and an M&P Luna so it has to fit all of those.

Any comments, criticism or analysis please!

NoBiggy Sun 03-Aug-08 21:22:33

It ought to be good. Neither of mine would stay under it. DD2 manages to lean forward and lift the bottom up to peer out from underneath, while DD1 managed to get out from under it and lay on it like a hammock.

Used it on a M&P Pliko (attempted to, anyway).

EyeballsintheSky Sun 03-Aug-08 21:26:49

Oh goodness how old were they? DD would climb everest without equipment if she knew it existed and she's only tiny!

I do like the look of it and being able to walk into the sun without panicking would be nice (pfb!).

littleducks Sun 03-Aug-08 21:35:20

I have one, nice fit on techno, used it when dd was tiny (under six months) but the following summer she wouldnt entertain the idea.

The newer ones have a zipped wqindow that looks good. Or a shade a bub?

littleducks Sun 03-Aug-08 21:35:24

I have one, nice fit on techno, used it when dd was tiny (under six months) but the following summer she wouldnt entertain the idea.

The newer ones have a zipped wqindow that looks good. Or a shade a bub?

andyrobo237 Sun 03-Aug-08 21:37:47

I have one and use it on all my prams - it does look like a big duck bill over the hood, but is great when they fall asleep as I pull it as far forward as I can. If they are nosy, then they may pull at it, but DS does not like the sun so he knows it is there for his good!

They are not cheap, but worth it in my opinion - they tie onto the frame - a tie at each side near the front and the same near the back - you can get a good fit usually somewhere on the pram!

CarGirl Sun 03-Aug-08 21:39:02

Yes I've used one on various pushchairs and tbh they're just used to them. The older versions (pre the velcro) actually fit better on 4 wheeled buggies IMO

EyeballsintheSky Sun 03-Aug-08 21:41:35

Great, thank you all Gives me another excuse to go to Mothercare tomorrow...and then watch the sun disappear for the rest of the year...

naomi83 Wed 06-Aug-08 17:17:09

we thought it was great for the first summer when DS was 6 months old. Now he's a year and a half and he refuses to use it. We have a pliko p3 so we just put the shade right down and slather him with factor 50 when he wants to walk. Also get her used ot wearing a hat early, it'll save you battles later

msappropriate Wed 06-Aug-08 17:21:53

Its only good for small babies or those who never grab things. Protect a bub or the version shade a babe makes (look at their website )is much better for older babies and toddlers. It fits on both my pushchairs and it gives them shade but they can see out too. I did see a version that incorporated both the mesh and the big shade but not sure if its availbale in this country.

ajm200 Wed 06-Aug-08 17:30:46

We had one with the zipped window and it was great. We used it from 4 months to 18 months It was great as it stayed put on windy days and couldn't be used as a lance to spear passers by when DS got older.

Sold it recently on EBAY and got almost the full purchase price so it was an absolute bargain. We only sold it as we are upgrading to a twin buggy.

Ewe Wed 06-Aug-08 17:34:05

I bought one for my recent trip to France and only used it once - DD just didn't like it and I found it easier for us all to sit in the shade. Could see the benefit for a holiday where you do lots of walking though.

nicolamumof3 Wed 06-Aug-08 21:10:55

They are great for little babies. Had one on my maclaren ryder 2yrs ago in greece for 8month old. Indispensable, wouldn't travel abroad without one wit a small baby in a buggy.

saltcod Wed 06-Aug-08 21:17:24

We have the protect-a-bub - it's fab & very adjustable. The Shade-a-babe would have lasted less than a nano-second with DS, but DD would have been fine with one. Depends on whether your child is one who rips everything off (e.g. parasols, raincovers, harnesses) or not grin

DS doesn't seem to notice the protect-a-bub as it's really just an extra "hood" - proved invaluable on hols!

tweeni Wed 06-Aug-08 21:20:19

does anyone have a shade-a-babe they are no longer wanting? preferably one with the window but not essential.

nicolamumof3 Wed 06-Aug-08 21:38:28

yes im selling mine, its the one with the velcro straps, so it doesn't have zip window. would like £10 delivered...if interested nicolamardell@hotmail.com Thanks!

tweeni Wed 06-Aug-08 22:19:01

does anyone know if the velcro straps one will fit on a luna (4 wheel), mutsy urban rider or 3 wheeler?

allergictohousework Wed 06-Aug-08 22:21:34

I have a shade a babe without the window (think would be better with). Works on my McClaren XT and Phil & Teds. If you do up all 6 velcro straps it's pretty good at staying in place. But a hassle for quick access to child if all straps done up really firmly and tightly.

MatNanPlus Wed 06-Aug-08 22:25:02

We have a similar thing on the P&T the mesh that is SPF50 and it does provide some protection but sunshine still goes thru it, as we are in Italy and baby has pale english complexion i have had to add a internal sheet to cover the front area and am awaiting a canopy like one that is flexible and compact folding (like an arch). Saying that even the 17mo is happy to sit inside it which we were surprised at.

EyeballsintheSky Wed 06-Aug-08 22:31:05

Well I bought the shade a babe today but haven't tried it yet. I do try to stay in the shade, but with the sun we've had recently, even walking round town makes me worried as she is so pale. I don't think she'd touch it so hopefully it'll be ok...

chocbiscuits Wed 06-Aug-08 22:37:55

Hope it works for you, Ds hated it as couldn't see out and just screamed so I had to take it back straightaway! Can't remember how old he was then though, maybe 12 mos.

PInkyminkyohnooo Wed 06-Aug-08 22:46:15

I've got an outlook solarshade hood thingy. Works very well. It's a big hood, not an all over cover. DD 21months is happy with it.

tweeni Wed 06-Aug-08 23:10:48

does the shade a babe fit on carry cots?

tweeni Wed 06-Aug-08 23:11:20

oh and also do you need a hood on the pushchair for it to fit?

MatNanPlus Wed 06-Aug-08 23:13:59

Shade a babe needs a hood togive it 'form' the Rayshade / Solar Shade can be used without a hood if need be and can be used on a carrycot and carseat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now