Talk

Advanced search

Decent chest of drawers for boys' bedroom?

(11 Posts)
MuffinMclay Sun 03-Aug-08 12:53:28

Needs to be able to hold more than 2 t-shirts per drawer without collapsing (so probably not IKEA). Also has to come flat-packed in order that we can get it upstairs.

Does anyone have or know of such a thing. Looked on Aspace but they're all a bit too small.

blithedance Sun 03-Aug-08 23:57:08

Actually the Malm range from Ikea is pretty robust and plain enough to stand the test of time. The drawers are as good as you'll get from a flat-pack and have proper metal roller runners.

cornsilk Sun 03-Aug-08 23:59:10

We got a fab one from a store local to us. Was a bit more expensive than Ikea but much better quality. Will try to find website.

MuffinMclay Mon 04-Aug-08 09:28:16

Would rather pay more than IKEA prices and get something that lasts. This is to replace an IKEA one that keeps collapsing and coming off its runners).

I want something with proper wood or equivalent at the bottom of the drawers, not thick cardboard (plywood?).

Also not M&S (delivery times too slow).

Any other ideas?

cornsilk Mon 04-Aug-08 11:48:13

here we have got one from here it is excellent quality and nice, roomy drawers. Don't know if they deliver. We've had 2 break from Ikea.

AnAngelWithin Mon 04-Aug-08 11:57:15

whatever you do, DONT buy the malibu range from argos. I bought some for my boys about 3 months ago and they are already falling apart!!

MuffinMclay Mon 04-Aug-08 13:54:14

Cornsilk - thank you. Those look sufficiently solid. Doesn't look like they deliver though, and we're down in Herts.

Along the right lines though.

AAW - thank you. Good advice.

blithedance Mon 04-Aug-08 13:55:42

How about a local pine furniture place? I still have a chest of drawers that I got as a teenager, it's been permanently wedged full of T-shirts and stuff, and only acquired character as it aged. This kind of thing, but they do have more contemporary designs. No substitute for actually looking at the item before you buy, though.

I have to say we only have an Ikea chest with small drawers so the hardboard bases haven't been loaded up too much, can imagine the larger ones can't take the weight.

theirmum Mon 04-Aug-08 14:52:46

I think you may find it hard to get real wood bases if you go for flat pack we have this one Here but it comes built

MuffinMclay Mon 04-Aug-08 15:48:50

Doesn't have to be flat packed, I think, if the drawers come out completely. We have narrow and awkward stairs whih make carrying things up and down rather awkward.

Theirmum - those look good, and a good price too.

theirmum Mon 04-Aug-08 15:51:28

It is and its really solid

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now