Talk

Advanced search

Fitted kitchen - how to childproof cupboards?

(10 Posts)
MrsBadger Sun 03-Aug-08 09:24:42

The ones with two doors are fine (handles tied togetehr with rubber bands) but what about the cupboards next to a set of drawers etc?

all the catches on sale seem to be for standalone cupboards ie need to go round a corner to work

Dilberta Sun 03-Aug-08 09:29:33

you can get ctaches that go on the inside from places like Mothercare.

Roskva Sun 03-Aug-08 09:36:02

Get the magnet catches - you can get them from mothercare or bumpto3. They are more expensive, about £5 each, but my dd worked out the ones where you open the cupboard a bit and push the the catch down to open it fully in a matter of weeks. She also tended to get her little hands squashed in doors that open a couple of inches.

MrsBadger Sun 03-Aug-08 14:21:42

ok, inside catches for cupboards

what about the freezer where you can't put anything on the inside?

ilovemydog Sun 03-Aug-08 14:31:35

ah, there's a special freezer catch!

MrsBadger Sun 03-Aug-08 14:35:32

this type?
won't work - it relies on the freezer being freestanding as it goes on the outside of the door

any other ideas?

Seeline Sun 03-Aug-08 14:37:10

My kids worked out most cupboard locks, video locks etc within hours!! I found the best thing was a stair gate across the kitchen doorway - it kept me safe anyway grin

scruffyy Sun 03-Aug-08 21:16:16

Take off the door handles blush

MrsBadger Sun 03-Aug-08 21:24:49

[smacks forehead]

of course!

actually we had to do this in a previous house where the fridge freezer was the wrong shape for the fitted cabinet - a gaffer tape tag works wonders

[fetches screwdriver]

Roskva Mon 04-Aug-08 09:36:09

We tried gaffer tape on the sideboard doors - dd had it off in no time grin. But then, I do have a budding engineer/demolition expert on my hands grin.

Reverse psychology can work for a short period. It involves finding a box of some description, taping it up so it's difficult to open, then telling dd she's not to allowed to touch it. The minute I turn my back, trying to get into the box keeps her quiet and occupied for a while... [evil grin]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now