Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Best books for new mum?

(4 Posts)
fairibell Sun 03-Aug-08 01:55:01

right as a first time mum who never expected to be bringing her baby home (having lost our frist daughter last year at 26 weeks), We have muddled through until now (DD is now 10 weeks)! so think i need a book, want to get some kind of routine started... what would you recommend??

madmarriedNika Sun 03-Aug-08 13:14:53

I recommend The Baby Whisperer and also Libby Purves' "How not to be a perfect mother"- there are loads out there but having read a few I have found these two the best! But it also depends a lot on your natural parenting inclinations etc.

Before I even thought about having children my mum had me read the Continuum Concept, ideas from which she used when we were little, and has definitely influenced my parenting "approach".

Finally the other book I've used a lot with my two is the No Cry Sleep Solution.

...And when they are over a year I really recommend Christopher Green's Toddler Taming!

Enjoy your DD and trust your own parenting instincts- and don't worry if you don't do what some books recommend so long as you & your DD are happy!

madmarriedNika Sun 03-Aug-08 13:16:19

PS. I am so sorry for the loss of your DD1, but so pleased she has a sister home with you now xx

OllieWollieWoo Sun 03-Aug-08 13:55:15

Not really a routine type book but I found the What To Expect book on the first 12 months v useful - its divided up month by month and was a great source of info and advice.

For a bit of light relief I loved the Yummy Mummys Survival Guide by Liz Fraser - not at all preachy and full of the authors own experiences - it was so nice to know that other new Mums were as ditzy and unorganised as me!

I also read The Baby Whisperer and am now on The Toddler Taming one Nika mentions above!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now