Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Toddler Bed...

(9 Posts)
babylily Thu 10-Feb-05 14:54:58

Need advice please!
My daughter does not sleep well in her cot (and loves getting into our bed and settling herslef down with pillows and her book every night!) and is 20 months so thought we could try getting her a bed with rails instead. The thing is her bedroom is teeny so we thought of getting the john lewis 'Anna' toddler bed which would fit perfectly.
Logistics though...
How long do they spend in a junior bed? (DD is unlikely to be very tall, and the bed mattress seems to be 140 cm so does that mean she could use the bed for years? - or till primary school age at least!)
Do these beds take cot-bed linen rather than regular bed? Do you have to get a cot-bed duvet, or can you just tuck in a regular duvet?
We would have gone for the IKEA Vikare extendable bed, but the nearest store is a good hour and a half away, and as I can't set foot in an IKEA without buying a million other things it would be cheaper not to go!

thanks

dramaqueen72 Thu 10-Feb-05 15:04:21

hey we have that bed its very well built, and i know its going to last at least until four with dd. it takes cotbed size linen, and cot duvets. the ony mistake i made -to save cash- was getting the (admittedly top quality) foam matress with it. should of got the sprung one i think, would last as long as the bed then, not convinced this one will..
dd loves this bed. she clambers on it whenever we're in her room and says 'mollies bed'
i've also had to squish into it to get her to sleep in the early days and its very comfy! (aside from being too short!)
and i'm like you with Ikea miles away and spend absolute fortune when there.

babylily Thu 10-Feb-05 15:36:53

Great recommendation - thankyou very much!

Is the mattress you've got the supersprung one with coils and foam? (£75). The next one up seems to be £100 so I suppose we oughta go with that one - I hope that by the time she grows out of that one we'll have someone else to put in it!

Out of interest, how old was your daughter when she first went in her bed?
It feeld kind of sad in an end of an era way, to pack up the cot, but if it leads to good nights sleep it has to be done...

dramaqueen72 Thu 10-Feb-05 15:40:41

no i think ours was just the foam one (about £50) it is very comfy, just know it will one day sag. buy the best matress you can afford! have now learnt my lesson!
dd was 16mths when she went in this, hated her cot you see, and wouldnt sleep in it if she could help it! now shes 20mths shes happily sleeping thro the night -finally!!

pixel Thu 10-Feb-05 23:56:07

We were given a toddler bed but had to get a mattress to go with it. We got a really nice sprung one at toysrus for £50.00. It is a traditional-looking blue and white striped fabric on one side and waterproof on the other (but soft not plasticky). It's so comfortable and we have been very pleased with it.

LipstickMum Fri 11-Feb-05 16:39:56

I am in the same situation. Dd will need a bed soon and I don't know what to get. Wanted a toddler bed but thought it could be a waste of money if she outgrows it in 2 or 3 years. Still she will have a brother or sister soon who can have it afterwards...

Anyone else got any thoughts?

piffle Fri 11-Feb-05 16:42:27

we got the ikea one, check out ebay they have them on usually and there may be one near you
Our dd adores hers and we drove an hour to get it
Our dd is tiny at 27 mths so a small bed was essential
when I go to ikea I take cash and no cards and no chequebook

LipstickMum Fri 11-Feb-05 16:49:10

What a good idea...!

Bagpuss30 Fri 11-Feb-05 16:51:03

We have got two mothercare pine beds which were £80 each (mattresses £50 each) for our children. They are standard single bed length and so normal bedding fits but they are lower to the ground which is better for getting in and out. You can also get an optional pine bed guard that screws into the side. We have been very pleased with them on the whole although the delivery time was very long because they came from the manufacturer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now