Talk

Advanced search

Mn jury - do I keep my brita water filter or ditch it?

(5 Posts)
MrsFogi Fri 01-Aug-08 08:40:56

On the con side - it clutters up my worksurfaces, the water doesn't taste that great and is lukewarm (I don't have space in the fridge for it). On the pro side? I'm in a hard water area but does this make much difference when I'm just filtering drinking water and not using the filtered stuff for the kettle? Any other pros?

OsmosisBanana Fri 01-Aug-08 08:44:07

My mum used to work for a company that makes filters - some for Brita etc, some for BAe. The engineers say they are pointless as they are designed to remove chlorine in particular but if you just leave water standing the chlorine evaporates out anyway.

Or something like that, I'm not a scientist nor was I really listening!

The upshot is, they are a waste of time. That's coming from the people who make them.

sophiewd Fri 01-Aug-08 08:48:31

We changed from a filter and filling up the kettle from that to a filtered kettle, which is brilliant. May be worth thinking about that, we were getting through so many kettles before we changed.

WaynettaSlob Fri 01-Aug-08 08:51:12

I bought a Brita kettle recently to get around that very problem...it filters the water as it goes in, and does make a difference!

Cies Fri 01-Aug-08 08:59:00

Mrs Fogi, could you try a month or so of putting a bottle of tap water in the fridge and drinking that? See if it tastes nice. If it does, then you know that the filter is a waste of space. If not, you can keep it. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now