Talk

Advanced search

Two questions about slings

(29 Posts)
FrannyandZooey Wed 30-Jul-08 20:35:21

I have a Huggababy which I used loads with ds1 in cradle position and hip carry
trying to use snuggle position with ds2 (facing me, upright) but the top rail doesn't come high enough up to support his head - he flops about a bit
any ideas?

also have a hug a bub which I have got the hang of wearing in standard carrying position facing me, but how do I then move to a position in which I can bf him?

thanks ladies

FrannyandZooey Wed 30-Jul-08 20:43:02

?

i saw a few wise sling types on earlier

belgo Wed 30-Jul-08 20:44:32

I don't know the two slings you have but my first thought is that I didn't think a baby younger then 12 weeks should be carried in an upright position.

princessglitter Wed 30-Jul-08 20:46:25

I think upright is fine as long as head is supported.

I the hug a bub a stretchy wrap? If so, I never mastered breastfeeding in one, but found a ring sling good for this purpose.

Psychobabble Wed 30-Jul-08 20:47:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

princessglitter Wed 30-Jul-08 20:47:35

In my moby wrap, I used to be able to pull some fabric over dd's head to support it.

FrannyandZooey Wed 30-Jul-08 20:57:02

ah sorry the huggababy is a ring sling, and the hug a bub is a wrap

ah that is terrible news about bfing in the hug a bub
I bought it specially so I could wear to work and be able to be very active in it and bf while moving around, without removing and retying from upright position
the ring sling won't work as it isn't secure enough to use hands free while working
if anyone has had good experience bfing in the wrap I would really like to hear it

I thought small babies could be upright in a ring sling if head supported?

FrannyandZooey Fri 01-Aug-08 17:36:01

more hopeful bumping

kiskidee Fri 01-Aug-08 17:49:14

kangroo care and bfing in a wrap.

I enabled a friend with bfing with this link earlier this week.

kiskidee Fri 01-Aug-08 17:51:11

i am not sure what is up with the ring sling difficulty because I didn't use rs much. I think maybe the rings are too low on your front so you don't have enough room/fabric to support his head? oui ou non?

FrannyandZooey Fri 01-Aug-08 17:59:11

thanks kiski I will try the bfing position in the wrap later

I think you are right about the r/s - he is in cradle position today and seems to like it so may stick with that for now

littlefrog Sat 02-Aug-08 09:44:10

Perhaps a day late?

Anyway, in case you look at this again, I had a kari-me when ds was teeny, and managed to bf in it just fine (first time i did it i was doing a great long unplanned walk passing lots of building sites with builders having their lunches on walls and watching and it was just fine. he was about 3 weeks old then)

I normally carried him in the 'cuddly' hold, I think it was called, so where he sort of lay down in front of me in a curled up position, looking upwards, and so if he needed to feed I just wriggled my clothes around, turned him inwards, and did the sling up a bit tighter. I found it hard to bf when he was sitting up (never tried when he was teensy), which is partly because I have the smallest boobs in the whole world, even when newly breastfeeding. But then I found the trick was to get his bottom a bit lower than seemed comfortable (slacken the sling off a little) and again just wriggle about until nipple gets into mouth.

If you want to get him from a sitting to a cuddly hold, then at least for the first couple of times you probably want to take him out of the sling altogether and put him back in, just to make sure he's in securely. Once you've worked out the angles of it all, you'll just be able to slither it all about. But basically in the sitting hold, they sit across the crossed fabric, and in the cuddly hold, their head is supported by one cross, their feet by the other, so you need to get them into one 'arm' of the sling. I can't explain well, but I could look for a better explanation if you want!

FrannyandZooey Sat 02-Aug-08 11:04:21

oh lordy littlefrog that all sounds v useful but not sure if I can picture it
tricky isn't it

littlefrog Sat 02-Aug-08 13:35:50

There are instructions here for the kari me, which i think is pretty much identical to the hugabub (?) - long stretchy wrap, right?
i can't look for more stuff on their website (they have a section on bf in the sling) as either their site or my computer is so slow i'm going mad...

FrannyandZooey Sat 02-Aug-08 15:16:16

brilliant thanks
that is actually very clear
will have a go when he wakes up

FrannyandZooey Sat 02-Aug-08 16:25:41

oh yes it works thanks

problem for work is then going to be transferring between different 2 positions - bfing and more upright
I didn't realise I would have to take him out and rearrange the wrap like that

FrannyandZooey Sat 02-Aug-08 16:34:45

right next question
how do you bf in the wrap without lobbing your whole breast out of the top of your clothes
you can't do it any other way, can you? your top is firmly tucked right down under the wrap so you can't lift a t-shirt up
you have to pull your top right down and have one breast hooched up like it is on a tray
that will go down really well at work

FrannyandZooey Sat 02-Aug-08 20:46:09

any ideas?

littlelamb Sat 02-Aug-08 21:44:24

Franny, my Close sling sounds a bit like the one you are using and the answer to bf in it is to wear a vest (more to hide tummy than anything else) under whatever top you are wearing, then boob goes over vest once bra is unclipped, but stays under whatever top you are wearing. In the hot weather I have been wearing a thin cotton blouse thing from H & M and just leaving it undone under the sling. Is very easy once you get used to it, and noone is any the wiser as to what you are doing, if ds's slurps don't give it away grin

Psychobabble Sat 02-Aug-08 21:45:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlelamb Sat 02-Aug-08 21:46:01

Or, you can get special breast feeding tops, but I have yet to find ones that aren't hideously ugly, modelled on a rugby shirt (nice) and stupidly expensive. Would love to be pointed in the direction of a few decent ones though

FrannyandZooey Sun 03-Aug-08 10:16:57

I don't know how to get the top layer of clothing up above babies head though - I mean if I was wearing a t-shirt with vest underneath, the t-shirt is firmly wedged down by the baby and sling and I can't get to it to hoick it up

agree bf top might work but like you haven't found many attractive ones

kiskidee Sun 03-Aug-08 10:22:13

With the front wrap type of carry I linked to with the kangaroo care, you can get your boob out through a deepish v neck and then widen the vertical rail to cover as much of the head as you can?

FrannyandZooey Sun 03-Aug-08 10:26:54

yes, when I tried it my breast was out on a plate, but maybe practise will help

can it be done if you are NOT wearing low neck top?

InTheDollshouse Sun 03-Aug-08 10:44:16

Have a look at the H&M breastfeeding tops - they don't seem too hideous. I have been pondering this same issue as I'd like to bf DC2 in a sling when he/she arrives in Nov.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now