Talk

Advanced search

Cabin beds - opinions please

(6 Posts)
jsgirl Wed 30-Jul-08 13:21:52

We're thinking about getting a cabin bed for DS1. He'll be 7 in October. My sister was going into a couple of independent furniture stores where we live and I asked her to see if they have any in their shops, how much they are, etc. When she asked about cabin beds, she has been told in each shop that they do not recommend them and prefer not to sell them. In one shop she was told that they are a "death trap" and that he certainly wouldn't put his children in one!

Has anyone had any problems with cabin beds?

Thanks.

Seona1973 Wed 30-Jul-08 14:09:25

we use a mid-sleeper for dd (4.8 years)and she has never had any problems. My niece (9) uses a high sleeper bed and also hasnt had a problem. A 7 year old should definitely be ok in one (the high sleepers arent recommended before the age of 6). The cabin beds dont seem to have much to keep lo's from falling out so maybe that is why they said they were a 'death trap' as they are a bit further off the ground than a normal bed so there is further to fall. The mid and high sleepers have raised edges which helps stop accidental falling out in the night.

dd has this bed. Her niece has this one

GooseyLoosey Wed 30-Jul-08 14:14:06

Ds (5)bhas a mid sleeper and has never had any problems. I have never fallen out of bed in my whole life - not sure why ds is suddenly likely to. Also, the bed does have rails on so you have to roll over the rails!

wheresthehamster Wed 30-Jul-08 14:16:51

The cheap ones I wouldn't recommend if your child likes jumping up and down as they are so flimsy.

MrsTicklemouse Wed 30-Jul-08 14:19:06

DS1 (2.10) has this and has never fallen out got trapped etc. i dont think they are any more dangerous than a normal bed, if not safer as ours has a rail found the edge!

jsgirl Wed 30-Jul-08 22:16:55

Thanks for all your replies. I think we'd more or less decided that we'll get one for him anyway, but it's always nice to have that extra reassurance from MNers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now