Talk

Advanced search

Digital Cameras for children - which ones?

(17 Posts)
katz Tue 29-Jul-08 19:19:02

DD's both would like digital cameras for their holiday and have money left from christmas to buy them max budget £50.

DD1 had a nikon coolpix which she got off her grandfather but it was dropped by a friend of hers and doesn't work. she is nearly 6.

DD2 is 3 and would like a camera. I'm not sure about the ones designed for children, the screen looks really small and i'm not sure how many megapixels they are.

any suggestions?

OverMyDeadBody Tue 29-Jul-08 19:24:31

I got DS a normal (but basic and cheap) digital camera for his 4th birthday as that's what he asked for. It's great, still fine and not broken 18 months down the line, although he has requested that next time I buy him a camera I get one with a zoom!

katz Tue 29-Jul-08 19:28:45

whihc one was it?

katz Tue 29-Jul-08 20:16:10

anyone?

Lastyearsmodel Tue 29-Jul-08 20:42:58

There was an article about this in the Guardian Family section (Personal Shopping) earlier this year. Obviously I can't remember anything useful like the details or which one they recommended, but I do recall that she said all the ones for kids were rubbish and you'd be better off with a basic 'proper' digital camera.
Hang on, I'll look up a link.

Lastyearsmodel Tue 29-Jul-08 20:46:32

Would you Adam and believe it, I've found the article. Now if I can just get the link thing to work... www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/jan/19/familyandrelationships.zdontuseshopping

ja9 Tue 29-Jul-08 20:56:20

we have bought one for ds which we will give him on his 4th birthday. it's a proper one but coloured red so looks more child like. iwas only £19.99 in tesco

onepieceoflollipop Tue 29-Jul-08 20:58:35

We got a kidtough one that she loves but tbh the photo quality is very poor (and I don't normally notice these things).

On the plus side it is tough, child friendly and easy to download the photos onto the pc, and the batteries last for ages)

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 29-Jul-08 21:01:28

my dd has the kidtough one i agree re the photos not being the best quality but the amount of times its been dropped/threw down the stairs. bounced off the wall, ended up in dd2s hand who inevitabley trierd to eat it and its still working grin amazing

katz Tue 29-Jul-08 21:35:38

thanks

will have a look at that article

bythepowerofgreyskul Tue 29-Jul-08 21:38:28

DS1 has this one it is fantastic, has been thrown downstairs chucked round in the garden the photos are good if you stand really still and they are ok if not. DS1 is 4 got it for Christmas last year - novelty hasn't worn off.

katz Wed 30-Jul-08 09:56:30

bump for the day crowd

ELR Wed 30-Jul-08 12:56:13

vertbaudet are doing a free one if you place an order at the moment prob suitable for your younger daughter

barbiehouse Wed 30-Jul-08 13:01:52

we've got vtech kiddizoom. easy to use, and has games, animation etc as well, so keeps them quiet for a while - dds age4 and 3

katz Wed 30-Jul-08 13:03:28

bythepower and babiehouse - what are the pictures like? when you print them out?

barbiehouse Wed 30-Jul-08 14:02:13

not great, but dds were happy with them. and the animation - ie add on hats, noses, ears etc was good fun and simple for them to use. i wouldn't get it for photo quality alone.

katz Wed 30-Jul-08 14:03:40

i know dd2 will want to do a photo book of her photos. because she has one from last year and loves it, would you say the photos wouldn't be any good for this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now