Talk

Advanced search

Best first board games etc for 4.5yo and 3yo?

(26 Posts)
franch Mon 28-Jul-08 15:59:09

The three of us just had a great game of Tummy Ache but that's pretty much all we've got apart from Snap - what else should I get?

MummyDoIt Mon 28-Jul-08 16:01:27

Snakes and Ladders! Goes down a storm with my two (5 and 4). They can be a little 'creative' with their interpretation of the rules, though.

Lio Mon 28-Jul-08 16:02:59

Was just about to suggest snakes and ladders too, particularly a large board (easier for littler ones to move their counter along).

Twinkie1 Mon 28-Jul-08 16:03:31

Hungry Hippo
Thomas Busy Trucks

Hulababy Mon 28-Jul-08 16:06:32

Orchard Toys (who do Tummy Ache) have a whole range of games suited to this age group.

Seeline Mon 28-Jul-08 16:07:30

Agree with snakes and ladders, my 2 love ELC honey bee tree (sort of KErplunk), Thomas round the tracks game, Cinderellas glass slipper game, crunching crocodiles, manic martians, hooked (sort of fishing game)any sort of Beetletype game and Guess who? I have to say most of these have a limited appeal to any one over 10!

HuwEdwards Mon 28-Jul-08 16:08:02

Dominoes are really good, although may be a little difficult for your younger one...?

legalalien Mon 28-Jul-08 16:11:02

yep, snakes and ladders. DS (3.5) obsessed with it. In a desperate bit to get him to play something else I bought travel Ludo (also very successful, particularly the glee at sending other people's counters back to base) and battleships while on holiday. Battleships very popular, but subject to a lot of cheating by peering over the partition thingie in the middle.

legalalien Mon 28-Jul-08 16:11:53

there is also a dreadful Orchard Toys one called "shopping basket" or similar, which I cannot stand but DS seems to like. But not on a par with snakes and ladders or ludo.

Racers Mon 28-Jul-08 16:15:00

LOL dd loves the shopping game too! Another vote for orchard games here.

hifi Mon 28-Jul-08 16:20:05

dd is obsessed by the shopping list one, we also have crazy chef.

LIZS Mon 28-Jul-08 16:20:09

pop to the shops, washing machine game, ludo

franch Mon 28-Jul-08 20:15:12

Right - am going to start with the Orchard shopping game (pop to the shops?), and a big snakes & ladders and ludo.

Thanks

Hulababy Mon 28-Jul-08 20:16:33

Pop to the shops will be too hard for little ones at the moment I would think. You need to work out change, etc. The shopping list one is more fo 3/4 year old.

franch Mon 28-Jul-08 20:29:40

Just looked them up and worked that out! Thanks hula

wheresthehamster Mon 28-Jul-08 20:32:01

Hungry Hippos (although not strictly a board game)

Nemoandthefishes Mon 28-Jul-08 20:33:54

my first monopoly is good
manic martians
connect 4
snakes and ladders

downbutnotout Mon 28-Jul-08 20:35:46

I can highly recommend Captain Bones Gold - rules are v simple. You have to get round very small board without having your treasure pinched by large animated skeleton who pops out of a chest in a way that is v exciting for the little ones (if less stimulating for the adults). dd (4) loves it and has been playing since 3.5

feetheart Mon 28-Jul-08 20:45:55

We are a bit of a board games family so our two (5 and 2) have been playing for a while.
The ones they like at the moment are Pop-up Pirates (not strictly a board game but lots of fun), The Snail's Pace Race and one that DH and his sister played as children called Hats Off - probably not available as it came out of our loft!
The youngest LOVES Red Dog Blue Dog and Insy Winsy Spider (both Orchard games) and the bigger one will usually play too. Learning to take turns is 'interesting' grin

ScummyMummy Mon 28-Jul-08 20:54:49

pop up pirates was the favourite in our house from about 2-6 years

Blandmum Mon 28-Jul-08 20:56:27

don't get the toothfairy game.

Tis utter shite

ChasingSquirrels Mon 28-Jul-08 21:01:16

- Guess Who is good
- ELC do a game with a hedgehog board and little wooden pieces that you put in as prickles, ds1 loved that. Really nice game, though the board isn't as nice now as the one we have.
- Snakes and ladders
- dominos (for the older one)
- Orchard Toys Train Game

ChasingSquirrels Mon 28-Jul-08 21:02:27

Uno and junior top trumps would also be good for the older one

franch Mon 28-Jul-08 21:09:32

Getting enthused now - have added hungry hippos and manic martians

If they get into these I'll add pop up pirates

Many thanks - v helpful

franch Mon 28-Jul-08 21:12:51

And Guess Who!

(They're all coming up pretty cheap on ebay )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now