Talk

Advanced search

Bet your Dyson isn't as cr@p as mine!

(40 Posts)
crystaltips Tue 08-Feb-05 13:46:43

aaaaagh !

Driving me nuts - every 2-3 weeks I seem to have the think in bits trying to work out what's wrong ... this time.

JanH Tue 08-Feb-05 13:48:55

Mine doesn't suck/beat properly and makes a flapping noise - pretty crappy - have given the job to my Miele now but the Dyson cost twice as much!!!!!

lunavix Tue 08-Feb-05 13:48:57

I can't agree - mine's lovely

It's v. old though (bought second hand and I think it was like the first model ever!) so bits fall off occassionally!

Sorry you are having trouble with yours though

moondog Tue 08-Feb-05 13:49:51

Oh, can't be as bad as mine. Completyely shite-bits have chipped off, the hose never stays in place and the handle has dropped off. Daren't complain to dh though as I wanted the damn thing!

Angeliz Tue 08-Feb-05 13:49:55

mine's great!

Ours actually broke a few months in and we took it back to shop where it was reduced. Got a new Dyson and a refund!!!

fuzzywuzzy Tue 08-Feb-05 13:51:53

janh if yours doesn't piuck up properly, have you tried replacing the elastic band type thingy ???

Slinky Tue 08-Feb-05 13:54:16

Janh

Have you got the "Cat and Dog"? Am trying to decide between one of those or a Henry....oh dear, the pressures of life

wanda Tue 08-Feb-05 14:17:56

Agree Dyson worst purchase ever. Total sh-te. returned mine after two months. Broke twice, too heavy and generally massively overated. I now have an LG pull along bagless thing. A third of the price and five times as good.

wanda Tue 08-Feb-05 14:25:01

And any vacuum cleaner that has its own dedicated help line... well there's a clue there isn't there?

pixiefish Tue 08-Feb-05 14:30:32

had enough of mine and put it in the bin-

Joolstoo Tue 08-Feb-05 14:31:04

my Dyson's not crap - its dead!

wanda Tue 08-Feb-05 14:32:02

Flippin big bin. You need to be a weightlifter to move the stupid things. ( I'm not a fan)

sievehead Tue 08-Feb-05 14:37:33

totally totally *ing crap. Am on 3rd replacement part. Have hoovered my bedroom today with a crappy car hoover, which did a better job!

crystaltips Tue 08-Feb-05 14:39:59

mmmm - looks like I'm not alone

irishbird Tue 08-Feb-05 14:41:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlemissbossy Tue 08-Feb-05 14:57:40

I agree ladies - dyson, very over-rated, chucked mine ages ago after having it repaired twice at £75 a time

purpleturtle Tue 08-Feb-05 15:00:25

why couldn't you have had this conversation before I bought one last month? Evidently we're still in the honeymoon stage, because I love my Dyson cylinder.

Joolstoo Tue 08-Feb-05 15:07:53

perhaps we should email Mr Dyson - let him know there's a problem with his vac?

sweetkitty Tue 08-Feb-05 15:27:38

mine is 3 years old and has had every part replaced at least once, if you are going to get one get the extended warranty mine was £55 for 4 years

it is very good but just keeps breaking down I need a new hose for it right now

JanH Tue 08-Feb-05 15:59:57

fw, I have wondered about the elastic band but the brush still goes round and according to the manual mine (purple and red) can't be changed - or something - will have to look into it again. But it used to beat hell out of the pile and it doesn't now so something is wrong and like crystaltips I am always taking it apart looking for blockages (oh, but keep forgetting to wash filter, must do that.)

Slinky, not the cat and dog (no pets here) but the next one down - it doesn't have the turbo brush-head thing but is fantastic anyway. Have a look at this thread and this one and this one for the Miele v Henry debate, lots of pros and cons and also links to websites that sell them!

nikkim Tue 08-Feb-05 16:03:51

We bought hoover's The One from comet for £110, retails in argos for £200+ and it us fab.

Excellent at doing the stairs as it leans the other way so doesn't fall over while you take the wand upstairs.

Very powerful and has a volouptuous womanly look about it! I call mine Marilyn!

wanda Tue 08-Feb-05 16:15:59

Purpleturtle, I'm glad your still in the honeymoon stage but trust me he's no good and he's going to let you down.

galaxy Tue 08-Feb-05 16:25:01

We had an original Dyson for 4 years and I loved it until the hose split. Decided to replace it with a DYson Animal and I loathe it. Too heavy, hard to empty and the extendable wand gets stuck. A pile of poo.

redsky Tue 08-Feb-05 16:28:04

I thought mine was CR*P too when it stopped sucking up . Rang helpline - none of their suggestions worked, so they then sent an engineer who very quickly had it up and running -just like new!

doggiewalker Tue 08-Feb-05 16:30:20

I've got a Dyson which I've had for about 4 years and passed on a much loved well used Henry because of it! Wish I'd kept the Henry although I don't have too many complaints about the Dyson - except: it is v heavy, when new the pipe wouldn't lock so kept popping off when you were vaccing the stairs, then the pipe split near the top end where it joins, basically the design there is not good because you have to sometimes bend it at a funny angle.

It does still pick up like a dream though, but yes you do need to clean the filters occasionally. Not much cop on hard floors though, I sweep the kitchen floor on to the hall carpet and then vac it all up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now