Talk

Advanced search

Wrap sling help

(11 Posts)
hedgehog1979 Thu 24-Jul-08 09:58:50

Hope someone out there can help me.

my DS is 4 weeks old and I have been looking at wrap slings for him as I have a chicco carrier but as I am quite tall (6ft) find it quite uncomfortable to wear.
I have been looking at slings and talked to some of the mums at my NCT bumps and babes group and have decided that I would like a wrap sling

Now I need some recommendations. I like the look of the Kari Me and have seen a couple on ebay. But I am confused by the stretchy/non stretchy thing

Can anyone Help

Thanks

theSuburbanDryad Thu 24-Jul-08 10:02:31

Get thee a Didymos!

Best wrap out there IMHO, and I used an ella roo and a Mei Tai one too.

Cicatrice Thu 24-Jul-08 10:04:41

I liked the Kari Me. Its not very stretchy but it gives the baby a little bit of room to manouvre (sp) and get himself comfy.

mrsgboring Thu 24-Jul-08 10:04:51

Stretchy is good for a tiny baby and easier to learn (a Kari Me is stretchy)

Woven will last you longer but takes a little bit more care to learn. I learnt on a stretchy but sure you could manage a woven from birth.

I'm guessing as you're tall that your baby is likely to be big and a fast grower, in which case you'll find he grows out of a stretchy wrap before six months of age.

I really like the Gypsy Mama Bali Baby Breeze woven wraps. They're very cool, pack small and lots of different pretty patterns. I can still carry hefty 2.9 yo DS in mine (not all day but then you don't need to do that with a toddler)

So that would be my recommendation. If you do lots of babywearing you might want one (or more) other wrap(s) but that would be a good starter one IMHO.

Or try to borrow a stretchy to get you started. Alternatively 5 or so metres of stretch cotton jersey, cut down the middle and put in a centre marker. Pretty cheap way of trying out a wrap.

accessorizequeen Thu 24-Jul-08 11:44:20

If you want to try out, bealcain on this thread was offering to rent out a moby (v.similar to kari me) & others. Or UK babywearing swap on Yahoo is great for buying 2nd hand slings - you see the gypsy mama, didi's and kari me's on there a lot.

LostGirl Thu 24-Jul-08 16:43:03

Agree that a stretchy wrap won't last you long. DD was too heavy for anything longer than 15 minutes in the moby when she was 16lbs, at about 4 months. Have bought a mei tai now which is good but definitely preferred a wrap and will be buying a woven one when money allows. Good luck choosing, I couldn't believe how many different types there are!

hedgehog1979 Thu 24-Jul-08 17:21:59

thanks for all your answers, am now googling jersey fabric but mrsgboring why would you cut it down the middle. All the websites I have been on have given lengths of around 5m, so if I cut 5m down the middle would I not end up with 10m which is longer than my garden!!

Which woven ones would people recommend then?

kiskidee Thu 24-Jul-08 21:25:11

you cut it down the middle and have 2 wraps of the right width. smile

kiskidee Thu 24-Jul-08 21:28:41

If you are near London and don't have much planned for the weekend, then deffo get to the Summerslingshow.

If you are after buying your own jersey cotton, go to a good market or a an Asian Fabric store. They tend to have this stuff in stock but you have to ask for it. It will work or quite cheap - cheaper than the 'net.

thisisyesterday Thu 24-Jul-08 21:32:33

I have a moby, which is a stretchy wrap and can still comfortably carry my 22ish pound 9 month old.

but I am mostly loving my storchenwiege woven wrap, so lovely.

ajm200 Fri 01-Aug-08 16:58:13

You can hire slings to try from here

http://slingjax.co.uk/catalog.php?item=342&catid=57&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D57

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now