Talk

Advanced search

where to buy a kitchen

(11 Posts)
Kibby Mon 07-Feb-05 22:25:12

I've got a quote for a new kitchen and am in a state of shock £3300and it's really quite small and that only includes a cooker and chimney thingy,no electrical appliances. If I go to Magnet or B&Q who do I get to fit it and pull out the old one? Completely ignorant about things like this

puddle Mon 07-Feb-05 22:31:03

we've just had an mfi kitchen ad i'm really pleased with it. I was amazed at the quality when we went to look - some friends who do more expensive kitchen fitting told us there was virtually no difference between mfi and some of the top of the range ones (and gave us tips on how to get that 'expensive drawr opening' feel of a top rpice kitchen for £3....)We paid extra for their people to fit it whioch was godd as some of the bits didn't arrive on time and they had to reorder...but fron start to finish it took three days to fit. They took the old one away too.

mummytummy Mon 07-Feb-05 22:37:15

Magnet also fit kitchens, but I think they're pricier. Don't buy from the big chains unless its in their sale - if they've finished now, they'll probably have another one next month!!

BosworthBear Tue 08-Feb-05 18:43:15

So please tell, how do you get that expensive drawer opening feel???

noddyholder Tue 08-Feb-05 18:46:24

We ripped the old one out ourselves then bought the new stuff and got a builder/carpenter to fit it We have quite a big kitchen and they charged 750 to fit including mitering worktops and tiling fitting the dishwasher and washing machine HTH

charlie01 Tue 08-Feb-05 18:59:11

We bought an ikea kitchen (needed to do it on the cheap) ripped the old one out and got a carpenter to fit the new one, took him 2 days and he cost £100 a day. The whole thing including oven and extractor cost about £900 (we didn't get the cheapest ikea one) but the guy who fitted it said he could have got us a better quality kitchen for the same price. It looks ok but not that great, when I mentioned this to the guy he said spending more on the worktops makes the whole thing look more expensive. The guy was great but the kitchen wasn't IYKWIM. Perhaps worth asking around if anybody knows anyone?

RTKangaMummy Tue 08-Feb-05 19:01:56

WATCHDOG BBC1 NOW

RTKangaMummy Tue 08-Feb-05 19:12:07

now

RTKangaMummy Tue 08-Feb-05 19:14:09

TUESDAY
8th February 2005
Text only

BBC Homepage

Watchdog Homepage

Contact Watchdog

25th Anniversary

This Week

Previous Reports

Legal FAQs

Guides to...

Product Recalls

Legal Glossary

Useful Links

Presenters
Scambusters
Livechat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About the BBC

Contact Us

Help

Like this page?
Send it to a friend!

This Week

Holland & Kobeck
Moben Kitchens
Knoland Legal

Moben Kitchens

8th Febuary 2005

Paul Sheppard paid Moben Kitchens £11,600 for his dream kitchen. Seven months later he's still waiting.

After the first fitters left, Moben Kitchens agreed there was a problem and sent in different fitters and an electrician. Still unhappy, Paul commissioned an independent electrician's report which said "...it appears that the electrician has only a rudimentary understanding of the regulations...general workmanship is of a very poor standard".

Two Moben Kitchen electricians and three fitters later Paul still has only a shell of a kitchen.

Thor List and Jennifer Flett paid £10,700 for their kitchen after seeing a Moben Kitchen advert promising installation by Christmas. An oversight by the Moben Surveyor meant the fitting of the electrics were severely delayed and the kitchen is still not finished. Thor and Jennifer have been without cooking and washing facilities since mid-December.

Jimmy and Sheila Stamps paid £9,400 for their brand new Moben kitchen. They found various faults. Jimmy Stamps is 80 years old and found it difficult to get a response from Moben Kitchens. Frustrated by their lack of action he decided to take matters into his own hands. Jimmy told Watchdog, "I went into Stratford-upon-Avon, like a sandwich board man, I had a sign on my back and a sign on my front and I had a handful of 50 leaflets." Jimmy's sandwich board read, "Learn the truth about our awful Moben experience".

Moben Kitchens have apologised for the "inconvenience and aggravation" caused. They have agreed to remove Paul Sheppard's kitchen and give him his money back. They are also going to pay for Thor List to book his own fitters, and Jimmy Stamps has finally had his kitchen finished too. They have all been offered compensation.

Moben Kitchens say their systems have been reviewed as a result of our report, and are being changed to ensure this can't happen to customers in the future.

RTKangaMummy Tue 08-Feb-05 19:24:17

sorry for messy post

candycane Wed 09-Feb-05 13:40:13

Just got ours from Wickes. They have a list of local builders to recommend and then you contact the builder direct after you've ordered your kitchen. We were very very impressed and it was less than we'd expected, although we didn't have new appliances, just a hood.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now