Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone used Tiscali for broadband and phone?

(18 Posts)
MrsThierryHenry Wed 23-Jul-08 15:38:49

I'm thinking of switching from Virgin to Tiscali because they're so blardy expensive. Has anyone been a Tiscali customer and would you recommend them?

serenity Wed 23-Jul-08 15:54:36

We're with Tiscali now, although we were originally with Homechoice, who Tiscali took over.

We haven't had any major problems although they can be a pita to get hold of when you do need to talk to them (and it is worse since we 'swapped') however it's irritating rather than 'tear your hair out' pita. My sister's had worse problems with Sky, and I've vowed never to have anything to do with Virgin after the trouble they caused my MIL (she downgraded to Freeview last year rather than keep dealing with Virgin and they still hassle ring her once a week to bully persuade her to come back)

I'd have no problems recommending them, but would never say they were perfect smile

hanaflower Wed 23-Jul-08 16:07:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EvelynsDad Wed 23-Jul-08 16:08:10

Tiscali have a bad reputation. I wouldn't recommend them. My mother ignored my advice and went to Pipex after Tiscali took them over. Their customer service has been pretty awful, but the service has been reliable.

hanaflower Wed 23-Jul-08 16:11:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsThierryHenry Wed 23-Jul-08 21:17:59

My brother told me today that he's now leaving Tiscali after 5 years...he said the customer service is cr*p and that O2 are apparently a better bet. Apparently it's fairly well-known that the Tiscali customer service is appalling.

Hmmm...so maybe I won't go to them after all? Although we've just paid £140 for 1 month's broadband, TV and phone usage shock with Virgin. If we go to Tiscali (keeping our Virgin TV service, only slightly downgraded) should cost less than £35 per month shock shock shock shock!! So actually, even if Tiscali don't know their customer's a*ses from their elbows, at least we'll save a heck of a lot of money.

So Tiscali took over Pipex, huh, ED? I wonder how many people lost their jobs as a result. It's a sad day when even The Mighty Hoff can't save a company sad wink.

plantsitter Wed 23-Jul-08 21:21:13

We are with Tiscali - they are rubbish. Impossible to get hold of and really patchy service.

It might be good enough to warrant 100 quid's worth of savings though (just read your last post properly!)

moonshine Wed 23-Jul-08 21:21:41

We have the Tiscali package and it has all been fine, although I have spend a long long time on the phone to customer services trying to sort things out in the past. But, tbh, I have rarely experienced not being on the telephone for hours with large companies going through those fecking options. NTL were by far the worst though and they were bought by Virgin weren't they?

EvelynsDad Wed 23-Jul-08 22:00:49

I haven't gone beyond investigating the Tiscali package. I considered it on the grounds that I have Virgin for TV and BT for phone and Internet, which is arguably the worst of all possible worlds and getting everything from Tiscal would be cheaper and potentially simpler.

Checking their ratings and reading the reviews on thinkbroadband convinced me that the risk of the switch going wrong was not woth taking.

LyraSilvertongue Wed 23-Jul-08 22:04:29

I've been a Tiscali broadband customer for a few years. had no trouble with them whatsoever.
About a year ago we switched to a Tiscali broadband, phone and TV package, which was about £20 a moth before we added extras. All fine so far.

LyraSilvertongue Wed 23-Jul-08 22:06:26

Having said that though, we never did get our welcome pack and the special children's remote control that's supposed to come with the kids' TV package, despite me ringing them several times.

hairycaterpillar Wed 23-Jul-08 22:09:15

We were with them for phone and broadband and when it worked it was fine but any problems took an age and many expensive customer service calls to try and rectify issues.

oldcrock Wed 23-Jul-08 22:09:57

I had major problems when moving house and trying to cancel my Tiscali broadband. Terrible customer service! No problems with the actual service though.

We are now with Pipex - ha ha that they were taken over by Tiscali [grim emoticon]! No problems yet though....

hairycaterpillar Wed 23-Jul-08 22:19:24

Oh yes forgot to add that after we transferred to TalkTalk, Tiscali continued billing us for 6 months after and refused to repay money they'd taken from our direct debit AFTER we'd changed over, despite a letter from them acknowledging we'd changed over to a different provider?!?!

maidamess Wed 23-Jul-08 22:22:25

Tiscali are shit. But cheaper than alot of phone/Internet providers.

I am on first name terms with several of their client service team in Bombay, having spent hours on the phone to them when Tiscali cocked up our phone service, leaving us phoneless for nearly a fortnight.

milkybarsrus Wed 23-Jul-08 22:39:47

absolute crap. and trying to end a contract took 5 months, 3 letters, 8 phone calls!angry

EvelynsDad Thu 24-Jul-08 09:43:25

HC, did you get your money back?

I'd have cancelled the DD and claimed it back from my bank. That's what the direct debit guarantee is for.

MuffinMclay Thu 24-Jul-08 21:14:49

Dreadful company. Had a terrible time with them when we cancelled our contract. Tooks a lot of phonecalls, letters, and the threat of legal action for them to leave us alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now