Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Kitchens: Ikea wooden work surface. Do you have one and would you buy one again?

(8 Posts)
ChicPea Mon 07-Feb-05 21:13:27

Thinking of putting one in a kitchenette which won't be used for cooking, more likely for making teas and coffees, etc., and wondered how practical or disasterous it would be.

Your comments gratefully awaited.

blossom2 Mon 07-Feb-05 21:16:15

we've got a wooden surface and it looks lovely. although stains very easily. make sure its oiled correctly before using (we got our installation guy to do it) and should be oiled very 6 months. but worse comes to worse, if a stain cant be removed, you could always sand it down a little them stain it.

would do it again, but take more care with it.

cazzybabs Mon 07-Feb-05 21:16:28

WE have one in the house we bought. Its fine - its a little marked, but you can only tell if you look closely.

SofiaAmes Mon 07-Feb-05 22:08:01

I personally think they always end up looking ratty. However, if you do decide on one, make sure you oil it properly (per their instrutions) before you even let it see a second of use. And make sure you re oil it regularly. If you go for one of their tops I would recommend one of the laminate tops with stainless edges.

WestCountryLass Mon 07-Feb-05 22:22:56

I think people can be a little precious about these things and if I had a wooden surface I would use it as a massive chopping board so it looked used.

SofiaAmes Mon 07-Feb-05 22:30:52

It's not just an issue of looking worn like a chopping board. The problem is that the ikea tops are not a solid plank, but thin strips of wood and if you don't seal it properly it warps and splits.

jennifersofia Mon 07-Feb-05 23:11:31

Had one for 4 years and basically quite happy with it. Ditto about the oiling (not as much faff as it sounds).

ChicPea Wed 09-Feb-05 00:17:51

Thank you all so much for your input. Shall now have a think and see if there is an alternative.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now