Talk

Advanced search

Need to buy wedding gift for my sister ... ack!

(13 Posts)
NotQuiteCockney Tue 22-Jul-08 18:42:04

Ok, we are going to Canada in < 3 weeks. I need to get something.

It's a token gift really, as I'm giving her cash, but would like to give something nice as well.

She likes Celtic knot type things I think? Antique stuff would be fine. I was thinking a vase or something?

(I'm tempted to just buy her something modern, but I don't think that's her taste really.)

Easiest thing would be a shop I could go to in London ...

CountTo10 Tue 22-Jul-08 20:52:55

I would suggest a terramundi pot - you write something you're saving for post it in and then fill it up with pound coins. Then once full you smash it and go and spend it on your original wish. You can get them at most gifty places and it's not too modern or poncey??

NotQuiteCockney Tue 22-Jul-08 20:54:07

Oh, I'm giving her significant cash, which she can use towards a house purchase. I think that sort of thing is her taste, but I'd like to give her something she could (in theory) keep ...

EffiePerine Tue 22-Jul-08 20:55:24

what about jewellery rather than a vase? Less likely to get broken on the journey or banished to a cupboard

CountTo10 Tue 22-Jul-08 20:57:01

What are the celtic knots type things? Could be nice as she is tying the knot as it were? Then that could be something she could keep. An antique photo frame might be nice if you could find something that suits her taste. Then she could use it to put a wedding photo in.

CountTo10 Tue 22-Jul-08 20:57:24

Not really being much help am I!!!

RubySlippers Tue 22-Jul-08 20:57:28

i gave my sister a beautiful polished amethyst geode like this

EffiePerine Tue 22-Jul-08 21:02:08

some nice things on here if she likes celtic stuff:

www.saltirejewellery.com/index.html

blithedance Tue 22-Jul-08 21:08:01

How about something from the Pier? All kinds of carved/handmade/detailed things there, maybe a nice framed mirror, candlesticks etc?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 22-Jul-08 22:02:08

Oooh, lots of celtic stuff, will have a look around, thanks very much.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 23-Jul-08 22:26:47

I really liked the love spoons, and got to the point of nearly ordering them ... when I remembered we used to get hit with wooden spoons (insert as many sad and angry as needed), so maybe not.

Ended up getting a pair of pewter goblets with knots on them from the celtic shop that tmmj linked to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now