Talk

Advanced search

Please can someone explain how a bed guard works?

(8 Posts)
fluffyanimal Tue 22-Jul-08 14:13:30

I've been looking at these online and it is hard to tell how they attach to the bed. Some seem to clamp to the mattress and some mention straps that go under the mattress.

The reason I ask is that we'll soon be staying with my parents where ds, 2, will be sleeping on a camp bed in our room. It's one of those things with a metal frame and springs across, with a thin mattress. He's been in it before and sometimes falls out (it's not high off the ground, but it wakes him and us up), so I was wondering whether a bed guard would work. If anyone has used one, can you say whether you think it might fit on this type of camp bed? Or has anyone done something similar?

I've also tried ds on a mattress on the floor and he also rolls off that and wakes up, so I need to contain him somehow. He's too big for a travel cot.

hockeypuck Tue 22-Jul-08 14:17:33

DS has a bed guard.

It has a metal pole in the shape of a D that goes under the matress, this has straps that attach to it and a metal plate on the end of those. You put the plate upright the other side of the mattress to hold the whole thing on - but it's not often necessary as the D shape pole itself is often enough.

Definitely would not fit on the kind of camp bed you describe though.

Have you considered buying a cheap "Readybed" its an airbed with a sleeping bag attached that zips on, so they can't fall out of it. Works a treat for family visits ime.

MrsBadger Tue 22-Jul-08 14:18:38

another vote for a readybed

pgwithnumber3 Tue 22-Jul-08 14:20:36

Yes, a readybed is great, you can get the smaller toddler ones or one that will do him until he is around 7/8. (I would get the older one, get more use out of it).

I have 2 bed guards on DD1's bed (bed is in centre of room), they are still there as they keep her teddies safe hmm DD1 is nearly 6! They are not suitable for a camp bed though.

egypt Tue 22-Jul-08 14:23:49

dont you sometimes wish you could draw on mn?

generally the tomy ones fit anything. it is like 2 flat pieces of metal that go under the mattress then hook over the other side of the bed base.

extendable bars so will fit a single, super single or cot bed size

here
see the white ends on the guard? they go all the way under the mattress to the other side of the bed and hook over the other edge.

egypt Tue 22-Jul-08 14:27:01

oo
just realised you said camp bed. might be too big for that then

can you push some furniture either side of him!?

readybeds are great

egypt Tue 22-Jul-08 14:28:53

these are really hard to roll out of. virtually impossible.

same price as a guard and much more fun than a camp bed grin

fluffyanimal Wed 23-Jul-08 12:11:30

Thanks everyone, think I will go for a readybed after all, especially when I see you can get Roary the Racing Car ones - ds will be delighted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now