Talk

Advanced search

What do you use to clean your shower door?

(27 Posts)
lulupop Mon 07-Feb-05 14:28:25

For all you Kim and Aggie types, what should I be using for this job? You know that funny sort of whitish haze that builds up on your shower door? I want a crystal clear door, that I can actually see through, but no idea how to get this stuff off. Normal bathroom cleaner doesn't do the job. I've also tried limescale remover and those so-called "Clean Shoer" sprays that are supposed to work if you use them every time you shower. They don't, IME.

So what's the secret??

noddyholder Mon 07-Feb-05 14:30:21

cillitt bang works and you can keep it clear with that shower spray which you spray on a wet door after the shower

moondog Mon 07-Feb-05 14:32:10

I love cleaning talk!
Have you tried a lemon or two if you've got a limsecale problem? Works brilliantly.
Also what cloth do you have? I have a special blue microfibre thing from Lakeland which cuts through the scum.
Nothing makes me happier than a clean shower door, sad little person that I am...

northstar Mon 07-Feb-05 14:39:02

Toilet Duck works too!
Tried it in desperation one day

trefusis Mon 07-Feb-05 14:39:49

Message withdrawn

AuntyQuated Mon 07-Feb-05 14:43:29

never mind the door waht about the runners other than a toothbrush???

gingerbear Mon 07-Feb-05 14:50:07

use a window squeedgee after every shower, then once a week a limescale remover like Vikal.

logic Mon 07-Feb-05 14:56:04

I use lemon juice. Works a treat, learned that from Kim and Aggie actually!

AuntyQuated Mon 07-Feb-05 15:00:16

and the runners?

gingerbear Mon 07-Feb-05 15:01:38

AQ, think the toothbrush is the best bet.

gingerbear Mon 07-Feb-05 15:02:06

bet you can get something from Lakeland though....

AuntyQuated Mon 07-Feb-05 15:05:03

oh, was hoping for some magic solution

Twiga Mon 07-Feb-05 15:10:23

Tip for once you get it clean - buy Mr Muscle shower shine which you spray onto the wet surfaces after each shower, stops limescale build up in first place and means you rarely have to scrub the door.

lulupop Mon 07-Feb-05 17:37:35

so let me get this straight, lemon juice is the best thing? what do you do with it? just rub it on and then wipe off? or is a special cloth required?

I have that blue e-cloth from lakeland but since i bought it to clean my oven door with, I'd never thought of using it on the shower.

noddyholder, what is cillit bang, btw?

moondog Mon 07-Feb-05 18:36:47

It zings through limescale. Try jamming a half lemon onto a crusty old tap,leaving it there for 1/2 an hour and you'll see what I mean!

noddyholder Mon 07-Feb-05 18:39:05

cillitt bang is a limescale remover v powerful gets everything sparkling there is a really strange tv ad for it for ages I thought it wasn't real

AuntyQuated Mon 07-Feb-05 18:41:44

can't help but read 'clit bang'

noddyholder Mon 07-Feb-05 18:43:23

me too (and dp)

moondog Mon 07-Feb-05 18:43:39

I thought it was just me who thought that..
(We have a supermarket here called Pisi. Wonder if they sell it..?)

alux Mon 07-Feb-05 18:51:40

I use Vikal for limescale in the shower and on taps because it is in liquid form. When cups, pots, cutlery, sinks get stained, I use a powder called Bartender's Friend (I believe) Limescale is responsible for a lot of the dingyness. It just about wipes clean.

The cheapest method and no less effective way will be to use white vinegar to wipe down regularly.

Limescale is an alkali, vinegar is an acid. Presto, they cancel each other out. O Level chemistry.

lunavix Mon 07-Feb-05 18:53:26

AQ - and me and dp.

Still, been eyeing it up in the supermarket. Love new cleaners and stuff.

Jbck Mon 07-Feb-05 21:25:07

No matter what I need an opinion on MN always has the goods! We're putting our house up for sale & I've tried allsorts to get the door sparkling to no avail. DH is asthmatic & won't have caustic things in the house for cleaning, so I'm always looking for old housewife's remedies. Off to squeeze a lemon on the door right now. Thanks

jordylass Mon 07-Feb-05 21:50:42

I have a spray bottle 50/50 vinegar and water, I clean most things with it, but it's sepcially good on glass, and does my shower door a treat.
Neat vinegar would get rid of limescale.

jordylass Mon 07-Feb-05 21:51:21

toothpaste (not gel) and toothbrush great for cleaning silicone and tile grout

lulupop Tue 08-Feb-05 09:11:55

doesn't your bathroom end up smelling all vinegary?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: