Talk

Advanced search

Playmobil v. Lego - can any enthusiasts advise?

(10 Posts)
mrsgboring Mon 21-Jul-08 20:58:34

DS is only 2.9 but really enjoys proper grownup Lego already (early manual dexterity runs in the family but sadly doesn't seem to translate into handiness later in life...)

I'm embarrassed to admit how much Lego DS already has, so assuming a child has pretty much infinite quantities of Lego, do they need Playmobil as well, and at what age does a child need (for example wink ) a Playmobil penguin pool, or a vacation house, campervan, castle, dinosaur mountain or.... ooo... lots of things....?

I should confess I love toys and am a mite overexcited about both Lego and Playmobil.

mrsgboring Mon 21-Jul-08 21:49:00

<tumbleweed>

Am clearly even madder than I thought.

mazzystar Mon 21-Jul-08 21:51:36

different stuff innit

ds loves both in equal measure and does different stuff with each

playmobil for role playing kind of stuff, lego for inventing crazy underwater space diggers etc

mazzystar Mon 21-Jul-08 21:52:34

whether they need it or not, of course, is a moot point

Piffle Mon 21-Jul-08 21:53:21

ds1 now 14.5 had seemingly infinite quantities of duplo,Lego,knex (this was prob favourite tbh) and playmobil
The Lego endures to this day as he uses it to film animation.the playmobil he grew out of by age 8-9 and the knex by age 11
Lego best bet but the other stuff was pretty important at the time.

harpomarx Mon 21-Jul-08 21:53:53

don't think he needs Playmobil as well, mrsg.

I think you do though! grin

girlandboy Mon 21-Jul-08 21:55:07

Lego will go on forever. I still like it and I'm 42. In fact, I am frequently the only one left playing with it.grin

NormaSnorks Mon 21-Jul-08 21:56:25

oh - completely different - and impossible to predict which a child will adore.

DS1 had both and LOVED Lego and completely ignored his Playmobil

DS2 came along and simply ADORED Playmobil from about 2.5 and is only just now (age 6) getting into Lego.

I'd wait and watch to see what he plays with at friends houses etc, OR just buy one Playmobil set and see how much use it gets.

DS2 took the Playmobil catalogues to bed every night for about 3 years, and seems to know every set ever made!

ingles2 Mon 21-Jul-08 21:59:53

really depends on the child...
I've got 2 ds's.
ds1 is great at manual dexterity and is a bit of a mathematician. He loves lego, the more complicated the better. could give the playmobil a miss
ds2 is arty and imaginitive, he goes for playmobil every time and isn't at all interested in building large complex models in lego.
so, I'd get some playmobil (it is truely fantastic) because it's such a different playing opportunity.
Can I recommend the knights, the romans, and the pirates
(dinosaurs are a bit boring and I always fancied the garden centre myself grin )

mrsgboring Tue 22-Jul-08 09:01:15

Thanks all. Harpo, you are definitely right - I need Playmobil grin

Piffle, your DS sounds amazing. Lego animation sounds brill. We like Knex too but Lego the current fave (much to my relief)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now