Talk

Advanced search

toddler/running bikes

(12 Posts)
southutsire Sat 19-Jul-08 12:16:25

Can anyone advise on the pros/cons of different pedal-less bikes? I like the look of the wooden ones but are the aluminium ones lighter or more hard-wearing? Ds's grandparents have given us £100 to spend on it.

TIA

Spidermama Sat 19-Jul-08 12:18:45

I think they're great. They teach kids about balance and help them control the bike. My 3.5 year old loves his and is doing brilliantly on it. It also means there's no need for stabilisers as they've learned about balance already.

Mine cost about £30 new from ebay.

Spidermama Sat 19-Jul-08 12:19:44

Mine's wooden. It has three different heights. It's perfectly light enough to carry. I will try and find a link for you as I do highly recommend it and there's really no need to spend £100.

southutsire Sat 19-Jul-08 12:23:37

Great, thanks. I notice some have brakes and some don't - do you think it matters?

Spidermama Sat 19-Jul-08 12:23:58

Ridiculous price at the moment. I paid more like 32.00 plus p&p. It's a great bike though. I notice the LikeaBikes are price at about £130 which is crazy IMO.

Spidermama Sat 19-Jul-08 12:25:40

My ds has no brakes. He uses his feet which is fine but I guess brakes would be quite good just as a way of learning to use brakes when moving onto the bigger bikes.

They're not really necessary on these little ones though. That said, my ds does say 'I want brakes' because he sees this brothers and sister have brakes on their big bikes.

tortoise Sat 19-Jul-08 12:33:19

My DD2 had a small bike with pedals on the front wheel. I took the stabilisers off and she started off pushing it along then started to pedal. She was 3 and a half when she started to pedal.

southutsire Sat 19-Jul-08 21:05:33

Thanks for the replies. Will ponder.

MorocconOil Sat 19-Jul-08 21:08:59

DD has a Puky bike and is riding it really well. Wish we'd had one for the other DC.

beansmum Sat 19-Jul-08 21:13:59

ds has this. It's brill. I think I would be a bit worried about brakes, I could imagine ds putting them on while speeding along and flying over the handlebars. but I suppose it would help when he moves onto a proper bike.

Wallace Sat 19-Jul-08 21:14:28

Recent thread here with a few links

EvelynsDad Mon 21-Jul-08 16:10:49

Parkers of Bolton do a cheap wooden training bike. I can't tell you if it's any good.

My DD has a Rothan. I thinks it's pretty good, but she hasn't got the hang of it yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now