Talk

Advanced search

Any recommendations for a very good cylinder vacuum cleaner?

(16 Posts)
2point4kids Fri 18-Jul-08 09:14:53

I have blown up my Dyson upright!
I have liked how well it vacuums but since I bought it I have moved to a house with lots of stairs and its just too heavy for here.
I now want a cylinder one but the best one possible as I know it will be hard to get close to the suction of an upright.
I am thinking Dyson again - but which one will be best? Any suggestions?

DontNeedAnything Fri 18-Jul-08 09:15:41

Mieles come top of the polls for cylinders.

2point4kids Fri 18-Jul-08 09:23:12

Oh thats handy to know, thanks. I'll look those up!

DontNeedAnything Fri 18-Jul-08 09:24:51

Dyson DC21 Motorhead is number 9 on the which list with a score of 69%, mostly falling down on noise. Price quoted by Which is £269.

<Review - Bagless Best Buy cylinders are in the minority, but this strong Dyson performer works well on all surfaces even when the dust container gets fuller.

It tackles pet hair well and it’s not much of a chore to clean the brush afterwards. You can switch the brush on and off using a foot pedal to suit the surface you’re cleaning. The size of the main head makes difficult to get under low furniture.

Allergen retention is excellent, but this model is noisy, like most Dysons. At more than 10 kg, it’s a hefty beast, too, heavier than many uprights.

Like the Stowaway models, the hose and tube of the DC21 can be coiled around the machine for compact storage. The additional nozzles are also stored onboard.

Pros: Good on all surfaces, good on pet hair

Cons: Heavy, noisy>

There are 6 Meile's above the Dyson with scores of 69-75%, with the S4281 coming out top at £179.

<Review - The light and quiet Miele S4281 is a great little machine that cleans well on all surfaces, even without a turbo brush.

Allergen retention is excellent, it picks up dust along walls and in corners, and is good at picking up pet hair (you won’t need to spend much time cleaning the nozzle afterwards either).

You can adjust the power, but the 8.7 metre reach means you can’t cover quite as much distance without unplugging it as some other models.

Manoeuvrability is good, controls are easy to use and the grip is comfortable.

Pros: Good cleaning on all surfaces, excellent allergen retention, easy to use, quiet

Cons: A shorter reach than some models>

The Meile S4211 is Number 3 at 74% at just £112.

<Review - Excellent cleaning results across the board make this bagged cylinder from Miele a Best Buy.

It's a great choice for any floor surface. This Best Buy comes from Miele’s compact range, making it ideal if storage space is short. The pretty pale yellow S4211 is excellent value, offering first class cleaning ability on all surfaces.

It blitzed through the pet hair test, cleaning up in around one minute; slower than uprights but fantastic work for a cylinder. Allergen retention is very good, too.

The vac is very easy to use. We had no problems changing bags and filters and the vac is easy to move around.

Pros: superb cleaning results in all our tests, including pet hair.

Cons: none>

HTH

DontNeedAnything Fri 18-Jul-08 09:26:54

Sorry all that stuff was from Which BTW.

Oh and incidently the top upright is number 12 of the list with an overall score of just 65%

2point4kids Fri 18-Jul-08 09:32:09

Fabulous, thank you!!
I will have a read through.

My which subscription has expired!

DontNeedAnything Fri 18-Jul-08 09:38:52

If you want any other specific reviews just shout smile

fiendish Fri 18-Jul-08 09:46:54

Another vote for Miele here. Not sure what model ours is, but we bought it 6 years ago for about £80 and it's great. Suction is great (coped with all kinds of building work), and we've never had any problems with it. The only downside is we can't get bags in Wilko's!

amidaiwish Fri 18-Jul-08 09:48:47

Miele here too
had a dyson before, miele MUCH better. i have the navy one, not sure model number

there was a thread earlier this year on this, do a search for it.

Birdly Fri 18-Jul-08 16:25:39

We love our Miele too!

Sunshinemummy Fri 18-Jul-08 16:26:36

My cleaner requested we buy a Miele when the old vacuum broke. They are fantastic.

sunnylabsmum Sun 20-Jul-08 08:50:09

you can get cheap miele bags online- can't recall the link but do a google search.

Agree regarding Miele's. Love our and it copes brill with Lab fur. Had a dyson before and agree re the weight thing

Snowstorm Mon 21-Jul-08 11:39:06

This thread has the most perfect timing as was asking for exactly the info. that I needed too!

I think I'm going to get the Miele S4211 BUT ... I'm slightly hungover and had a bad nights sleep and cannot seem to find which replacement bags it needs and where from, for the life of me ...

If anyone gets there before me then please could they pop a link on this thread, I'd be very grateful ... and then I can go and buy the hoover!

DontNeedAnything Mon 21-Jul-08 17:15:33

lots on ebay

also available on teh high street at Currys

and I am sure lots of other places too.

Sobs I want a Miele now, that I have looked at how good they are....but I have only just bought a Dyson

sobs again for sympathy

Snowstorm Mon 21-Jul-08 17:41:55

Fantastic - thank you so much ... and I'm sure that your Dyson is great and will probably last for years and years and years ... and all those good things grin

Shelly679 Wed 23-Jul-08 09:25:12

I have a miele cat and dog its great i've had mine about 4 years now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now