Talk

Advanced search

Which buggy for all terrain use?

(10 Posts)
Eddas Thu 17-Jul-08 13:00:53

I am looking for a buggy which will cope with rough ground, going for long walks through fields and general off road dutiesgrin

DS is 15 months and I suspect he will use it for a while since the route to dd's new school in January is through said fields etc.

I have read that the urban detour and mountain buggy are the best. Is this correct? does anyone have any recommendations/suggestions/thoughts on either of those or any others?

I don't want to buy new. It also won't be used(by me) after ds finishes with it.

I'm not too worried about the weight of it since it won't be in and out of the car as I have a maclaren xt for the boot.

It would be nice if it wasn't huge when folded. I do have some space to store it but not masses.

TIA

cazzybabs Thu 17-Jul-08 13:01:11

We have a MB and I love it

hatcam Thu 17-Jul-08 13:16:37

Think mountain buggy better than urban detour, I've got a phil & ted's (old style not the 'sport') which has been fantastic. I have a 22 months old, I run with the buggy, take over-energetic dog for walks and also run an outdoor fitness class for mums and babies in the buggies - so it's done plenty of miles! It's done all sorts of walks and also survived lots of air travel. It's looking pretty tatty these days (and quite grubby) but I think that's to be expected.

MuffinMclay Thu 17-Jul-08 13:57:56

My pushchair is mainly used off road on rough, bumpy ground, muddy paths, through grass etc, and in all weathers.

The Phil & Ted copes admirably with all this. The wheels are fantastic.

When I just had ds1 I used a Jane 3 wheeler (Rebel?). That wasn't up to the job. The wheels clogged up with mud and I found it near impossible to push through long grass. Also the front whell broke once whilst out on a walk (2 miles from home at the top of a steep hill).

I've had a lot of punctures with both, but I think thats par for the course with off road use.

Fadge Thu 17-Jul-08 14:51:07

mountian buggy and out n about are brill, but depepnds on your wallet. Both are brill on rough hilly mountains and on beaches too

redrobin Thu 17-Jul-08 14:54:28

mountain buggy is fantastic - it copes with mountains, beaches adn pavements! i've had a double and a single, couldn't recommend them enough. Expensive yes, but they keep a good resale value. easy to fold, blah blah they need to give me commission. best baby/child product i've ever used.

Eddas Thu 17-Jul-08 16:58:22

thanks for the suggestions and recomendations. I am clueless about buggiesgrin

We did a quick walk today(well 2 hours there and back) and i realised the current buggy(a graco citysport) is just not right. It's all over the place and tough to push. Good for the bingo wingswink but I'll be doing the walk 4 times a day so really I want a better buggy.

Budget, is well as small as possiblegrin I am in no particular rush for it so will see what pops up on here/ebay/freecyclehmm/gumtreehmm well you never knowgrin

pedilia Thu 17-Jul-08 17:00:21

As we have horses I go off-road every day, I have an Urban Detour and I love it, I can puch it with one hand even on very long grass.

misdee Thu 17-Jul-08 17:01:24

mountain buggy.

its the best for off-road.

get a terrain one, not an urban.

Caz10 Thu 17-Jul-08 17:02:35

MB all the way

they do pop up on ebay quite often!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now