Talk

Advanced search

More about moisturisers...

(18 Posts)
Tiggiwinkle Sat 05-Feb-05 15:25:24

Since there are lots of threads about moisturisers today, can anyone recommend one for very dry skin?
I have dry skin on my face which develops into eczema at times. Nothing I try seems rich enough, including E45 or Aqueous cream, so I end up putting cream on loads of times a day.

charleypops Sat 05-Feb-05 15:30:28

Hi Tiggy - I know a lot of people swear by Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Creme - I think it's about a tenner

Tiggiwinkle Sat 05-Feb-05 15:33:00

Hi Charlypops-yes, I have heard of that one but cant find it in the shops. Has anyone used it or know where to get it?

tamum Sat 05-Feb-05 15:55:38

I have some that I use for emergencies, chapped lips and so on, but I wouldn't recommend it for daytime use to be honest. It looks like vaseline only browner, so it would be very shiny to wear all day. Might be worth trying overnight, maybe? I can't think of anything else though apart from something hideously expensive like Creme De La Mer though.

monkeygirl Sat 05-Feb-05 15:59:34

I have very dry skin sometimes, and eczema on my hands but have discovered Nivea Soft which for me really does do what it says on the tin, so to speak. Not expensive either.

boudicca Sat 05-Feb-05 16:01:36

I read something a few weeks ago about moisturising from 'the inside !
If you eat three portions of oily fish per week apparently it can have a really good effect on the skin

romilly Sat 05-Feb-05 16:27:36

Dr. Hauschka's Rose Day Cream - V. V. V. good for v. dry skin

tigi Sun 06-Feb-05 19:26:16

I've just tried a freebie I had hanging around (not sure how long it had been there!) for a M&S organic moisturiser (green packet) that was really creamy, and a bit heavier. My skin looked really nice yesterday, and still today - alas I only had enough for for one days use! My skin is on the dry side, although not excessively, but I have found many moisturisers not moisturising enough lately, especially around my eyes - may be to do with the cold air? I am definatly going to look for the M&S one though

desperatehousewife Sun 06-Feb-05 19:54:59

Ponds do a good cheap one for dry skin. I have dodgy flaky eyelids at the moment (nice!) and was recommended pure jojoba oil - which is very good at night.

kolakube Sun 06-Feb-05 20:16:44

Also, make sure you drink enough water every day.

TracyK Sun 06-Feb-05 20:18:33

Get E Arden 8 hour cream from Boots - they may even have an offer on it - I saw some leaflets on display today when I was in.

treacletart Sun 06-Feb-05 20:44:47

Aveeno! Its about a fiver over the counter at Boots - I've read lots of stuff on MN about it as an eczema cure but its primarily a moisturiser - should do the trick well

cupcakes Sun 06-Feb-05 20:59:13

Another vote for Dr Hauschka
My skin is a mix of oily and sensitive so very different from yours but I really like their philosophy. It's not what you'd usually expect - I now use an oil on my face because it regulates the production of oils in my skin. It really works though at regulating your skin. The cleanser is brilliant and the rose cream is lovely.
And their home delivery is very quick.

LipstickMum Sun 06-Feb-05 21:12:27

Yup, another vote for Dr Hauschka in general. Rose Day cream and the Quince Day cream are good for dry skin.
Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream is more like vaseline as tamum says, can't imagine spreading it on your face! But very good.

charleypops Mon 07-Feb-05 12:19:36

The oil thing is interesting - i've been using bio-oil for a few months and it's been good - doesn't look greasy at all and it's got those essential vits A and E in it.

Sorry for not posting back Tiggy re the 8 hour creme - I missed your post. If you can't find it in your Boots, you can get it at most department stores on the Elizabeth Arden counter. I suppose it could be a bit shiny for day wear, although some people use it as a highlighter for that very reason (on cheekbones, lips and eyelids for instance). I've never used it myself, but maybe if you just put a tiny bit on it wouldn't be so shiny? From what I've heard from I'd certainly try it on a night at least if I ever developed very dry skin.

BubblesDeVere Mon 07-Feb-05 12:21:37

Tiggiwinkle, I use Elizabeth Arden and Swear by it, its fab, I get mine off ebay at a fraction of the price in shops.

welshmum Mon 07-Feb-05 12:22:10

Aveda do a hydrating masque for dry skin. They say you can use it as a night time treatment - no need to remove it. It's a light transparent gel. It got rid of my dry skin and it's in much better condition now. It costs £25 but one tube lasts for almost a year.

BubblesDeVere Mon 07-Feb-05 12:24:39

Its definately not for day wear though as it is very greasy, but I use it very sparingly on my cheekbones on a night out just to highlight them. I got some off ebay the other day and it was £20.00 (inc P&P) for two tubes still in the celophane wrapper which is alot cheaper than the department stores

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now