Talk

Advanced search

talk to me about baby breathing monitors

(17 Posts)
poppy34 Wed 16-Jul-08 13:22:02

right considering buying one of these for when dd moves into cot in her own room ... friend recommended angelcare but have seen various comments about the sensor being a bit hit and miss so you get false alarms. Has anyone used one or one of alternatives (eg babysense).

dd is very wriggly and quite capable of moving about so concerned about anything that is overly sensitive to this.

MegSophandEmma Wed 16-Jul-08 13:30:11

With all 3 of my dd's I have used the johnson and johnson monitor which has the sensor pad underneath the mattress. The sensor ticks as the baby breaths or moves around and alarms with a percing sound if the baby doesn't move or breath for 20 secs. I have only just removed the sensor bit as dd1 is now over one and like your dd very wiggley although this didn't matter much as the alrm doesn't go off as you are able to turn the alarm off and on as you please but the ticking sound still stays on which is good for a number of reasons. It alows you to know when the baby is waking up due to the sensor ticking sounding more erractic rather than the rythmical sound of when the baby is asleep and breathing is steady. Obviously the comfort of hearing them breathing. I also liked it because when DD3 was poorly and her breathing was a bit rapid it can be seen or heard on the monitor and it allows you to count the breaths per minute. Down side though is they can make you a bit neurotic and over cautious and paniky lol But overall I think they are brill!!

DaphneDescends Wed 16-Jul-08 13:32:38

I have an AngelCare. The false alarms are few and far between - DS is 9 months and it has gone off twice because he's rolled too far from it. Yes, those times almost gave me a heart attack, but in all honesty there was something reassuring about knowing it works, too.

It helps me to relax when DS is in bed otherwise I'd be constantly checking him.

You can set the sensitivity on the actual mat, not sure if you could on older models, maybe that's something they've improved.

Nappyzoneneedsanewname Wed 16-Jul-08 13:33:31

We have a johnson and johnson too which was great up to 1 yr old when he just started moving around to much setting alarm of in middle of the night and generally putting the skitters up us - was brill in early days though as ds went in his own room at 4 weeks.

katpotat Wed 16-Jul-08 13:51:59

Tommee tippee sensor pad and monitor is fantastic, light blinks on the monitor as baby breaths. This is a godsend as I would have been checking on her every five mins otherwise blush Only has gone off once in 14 months when little one rolled right up against the cot bars grinDon't know if I will ever stop using it though.

GentleOtter Wed 16-Jul-08 14:08:25

There was a link a few weeks ago that showed what looked like a soft elastic belt that went around baby's waist...does anyone remember what that was called please?
kat - I still check on my daughter at night even although she is 11.blush I think it is just a habit that you never stop.

GentleOtter Wed 16-Jul-08 14:15:26

Sorry - I forgot to add that this type of monitor has a special name that I cannot remember but it works if baby stops breathing.

katpotat Wed 16-Jul-08 14:22:32

Glad it's not just me blush

poppy34 Wed 16-Jul-08 18:39:25

this is all really helpful ..and kat suspect I'll also still be popping in to check when she is 21... just know that probably not practical to keep her in a cot in our room forever.

PortAndLemon Wed 16-Jul-08 19:14:15

We use a Respisense, which is a bit like what GentleOtter describes but clips onto the waist of the nappy rather than having an integral band. We got it because it can be used when cosleeping or in the Amby Hammock, which the pad-sensor types can't.

HensMum Wed 16-Jul-08 19:21:15

Another vote for the Tommee Tippee one, I love it. It's gone off a few times; once when was still in the Moses basket and had a cold so we put a rolled up towel under the mattress which stopped the sensor working and a few times in the cot when he's wiggled off the mat. He needs to wriggle quite a long way but last night managed to get himself into a ball in the corner of the cot and it went off.

ummadam Wed 16-Jul-08 21:04:20

we have the babysense. No false alarms in 6 months of daily use, has two mats so covers whole cot and we really like it.

lazarou Wed 16-Jul-08 21:07:11

Have used a tommy tippee and an angelcare. Both very good, but would go with the tt

wasabipeanut Wed 16-Jul-08 21:07:25

We got the babysense too - no false alarms in 7 months. I went for that one because a collague of mine recommended it. I have to say I find it very reassuring.

I test it most days buy forgetting to switch it off when getting ds up from his naps!

poppy34 Wed 16-Jul-08 21:08:35

this is all really helpful ... anyone used this one link

Nappyzoneneedsanewname Wed 16-Jul-08 22:27:54

yes i agree fab - you can open oneof your eyes mid sleep and see a green light flashing then go to sleep again reassured........

Fizzylemonade Thu 17-Jul-08 12:56:37

Love the Tommee tippee one, I put the pad in the middle of the mattress for my very wriggly boy.

I love the flashing green light to show they are breathing and the room temperature on the monitor too so you don't have to go into the room to know what the temperature is.

I too used to test it by forgetting to switch the damn thing off after lifting my baby out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now