Talk

Advanced search

Baby backpack carrier recommendations/ones to avoid

(25 Posts)
babycat Mon 14-Jul-08 11:34:21

My husband & I are going camping in Edinburgh in August & want to get a 2nd hand baby backpack carrier as I feel with the festival crowds, cobbled streets, buses etc. it will be the best option for getting my 18 month old daughter around.

Has anyone got one that they would recommend or one that they wish they hadn't bought. I was thinking of one with a frame so that we can set it down with her in it.

Any advice for choosing one? I've been looking on ebay as the prices new are hideous and we probably won't get that much use out of it.

Also your experiences of using this type of carrier welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

savoycabbage Mon 14-Jul-08 11:42:35

I have got one of these

No frame but I really like it.

beforesunrise Mon 14-Jul-08 11:52:55

i would go for a soft one like the ergo or the patapum. the "hard" ones look really heavy and uncomforable for both carrier and baby...

babycat Mon 14-Jul-08 12:05:40

Thank you for your suggestions.

I have got a wilkinet soft carrier but I thought a hard framed carrier would be better for long periods of wear. The Wilkinet is okay for short walks but the straps tend to slip so it gets uncomfortable for the wearer. I only used it as a front carrier when she was a tiny baby so I'm not sure it would be that comfortable for either my dd or the wearer.

My husband would be wearing it most of the time & he would prefer something with a more rugged construction wink

MrsBadger Mon 14-Jul-08 12:07:21

we have a Vaude Jolly Light (dd's 11m) and it is fab - she prefers it to the soft carriers because she can see over dh's shoulders.

The integral sunshade thing looks a bit odd but is fantastic, esp when you're out alone with her and can't see if she's ripped her hat off.

def get one you can put down with her in - they don't all freestand so be careful

feetheart Mon 14-Jul-08 12:19:38

We have a Karrimor something or other (!) that we used when DS was too big for the Wilkinet. Very sturdy and comfy and enabled me to manage trips into London with him and his then toddler sister.
DS now 2.7 and far too heavy to carry - has graduated to feet/scooter. Was thinking of putting it on ebay but happy to sell it on here if you are interested.

accessorizequeen Mon 14-Jul-08 13:32:56

dp loves our vaude jolly light and ds2 (19 mo) seems very happy and comfy in there, more so than in the ergo which neither of us liked!

lillypie Mon 14-Jul-08 13:46:43

I've got one of these bought at a car boot sale for 3 quid.

Not posh or trendy it's very light and DD still loves it at 16 months.

We have a Karrimor too, It's like this one and it's fab. Got ours off ebay too. DH finds it very comfortable and has a very handy and large pocket for all the essentials.

feetheart do you have the raincover/sun shade? We don't and are looking for them, but unsure if they are universal to all Karrimor carriers or only certain ones

Macdog Mon 14-Jul-08 16:24:27

I have the vaude jolly comfort IV.
I loved it and so did dd.

ilovemydog Mon 14-Jul-08 16:30:11

ergo was pants

mellyonion Mon 14-Jul-08 16:32:24

i use an ergo style soft structured carrier for my ds...he's 23 months now...its fab fab fab! really comfy for me to wear even for hours at a time, light enough to roll up in to my rucksack if my ds wants to toddle anywhere...

i can even carry my nearly 5yo in it comfortably!

realistically, if your dd has been in a carrier for any length of time, she is likely to want to get out of it as soon a s you take her off....just for a change of position i guess.

your dd can sleep in an ergo, and it is also healthy for her back...not sure how the structured frames come up in that respect...

you can use the ergo with a new baby too, so it will get plenty of uses if you have another baby!

i'm sure once you get used to living without a pushchair, you'll be converted and use your carrier all the time....how easy life is without a buggy!!

mellyonion Mon 14-Jul-08 16:33:41

lol, ilovemy dog!

why did you find the ergo paNTS?

oops! i rate mine loads! smile

wishingchair Mon 14-Jul-08 16:57:34

I've got a bushbaby ... got it on ebay but still really expensive (can't remember exactly £70-90 I htink). Handy though as can fit loads of stuff in it as well, plus has canopy for sun, cushion for their head so they can sleep and waterproof kit. Reasonably comfy for you to carry, but still doesn't get away from fact you're carrying a heavy child on your back!

DD fell asleep in hers the otehr day and because of the frame, we were able ot take it off and she could carry on sleeping.

Would recommend them.

mrsleroyjethrogibbs Mon 14-Jul-08 19:08:30

i rate the ergo, patapum, yamo, amc,and most other soft structred carriers. I have at times carried my 5 year old daughter so know they are good

laidbackinengland Mon 14-Jul-08 19:09:52

We have a bushbaby too - bought from ebay for about £50. Do any of us live near you for you to borrow one rather than have to fork out ?

jabuti Mon 14-Jul-08 21:16:42

bushbaby premier! excellent back carrier. just like wishingchair, got on ebay and still quite expensive, 90 pounds. it was as new, so totally worth it.

we use our mei tai a lot, but it does not work for long walks, just for quick things around the city. our dd, 11 mo, keeps twisting her head to look around and eventually gets frustated. it happened in 2 long walks, and after that i got bushbaby and she loves it.

feetheart Mon 14-Jul-08 22:07:05

biscuits - sorry, can't help with rain/sun-shade as haven't got either.

One tip - never give your child something to eat in a back-carrier unless you want to use it as conditioner shockgrin

babycat Mon 14-Jul-08 22:28:59

Thanks for all the suggestions. I went to Blacks this afternoon and the only backpack type carrier they had in store was the vaude jolly comfort. It comes with a sunshade/raincover thing and lots of storage. I like the look of this and may even be able to persuade dh to buy this new grin.

babycat Mon 14-Jul-08 22:33:38

Anyone know the difference between the vaude jolly comfort and the jolly light, apart from the price wink. The only thing I could tell was different was the fleece padding for the child to rest on (like teddy bear ears) on the comfort. Any ideas?

NorthernLurker Mon 14-Jul-08 22:34:41

we have a bushbaby and it seems pretty good so far. Love the pillow for them to fall asleep on!

somethingsticky Mon 14-Jul-08 22:57:47

for some reason we have 2 of the bloomin things which never get used! a large one which free stands and is very adjustable. was £130 and dh had to have it as it was the only one that was comfortable for him (he NEVER carrys dd) my dad bought a cheaper verson for 50 quid as he found the big one to heavy for him. think its called little life, I don't find it comfortable and I'm the person with the permenant short straw!

I bought myself a mai tai, its pretty, its light, (the big carrier weighed more than dd for ages!) its flexible, I can carry her on my front, back or hip, in theory it would fit me or dh (but since he never carrys her despite me being disabled we will never know!!) it was cheaper than either of the rucksack type things, I use it nearly every day as its easier than taking buggy out when dd wants to walk then be carried. I wish i'd had it when she was tiny as its totally hands free and spreads the weight over both shoulders (I used a ring sling)

Part of me still wonders if I should have got an ergo though.

Macdog Tue 15-Jul-08 08:04:52

shop around online for lower prices on the vaude jolly comfort.
you can get better deals.

babycat Wed 16-Jul-08 15:03:32

My dh went out yesterday & got the vaude jolly comfort (he got a small discount using his work id). He's very impressed with it and dd seems to like it alot. He brought her back from the shops with it on his back and it was in the lounge last night and she kept asking to go in it grin! Now we need to find lots of places to go on walks to get our money's worth out of it winkhmm.

Macdog Wed 16-Jul-08 19:19:32

Glad you like it.
I used mine lots instead of the buggy for out and about.
have fun in Edinburgh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now