Talk

Advanced search

Problems with Mothercare and their Jive stroller

(5 Posts)
catsareeasier Sat 12-Jul-08 23:38:55

One of the back wheels fell off our Jive stroller yesterday - just seven weeks after we bought it. Mothercare refused a refund or replacement as it is beyond their 28 day returns policy, so we're going to complain to Trading Standards. Interestingly, while we were being fobbed off by the supervisor, a passing sales assistant who has probably gone home clutching his P45 tonight, looked at our pushchair and said: 'Oh,that happens a lot'. I also realised when comparing our stroller to the new ones on display just how badly the wheels have worn down in the short time we've had it. I'm interested in hearing whether other people have had similar problems both with the stroller and with Mothercare themselves.

Seona1973 Sun 13-Jul-08 10:11:46

according to the mothercare website there is a 6 month guarantee on pushchairs under £100 so they really should have offered to repair it and provide you with a spare while it is being repaired.

Pushchair guarantee. It is outwith the 28 days that would have meant you get a refund/replacement.

misdee Sun 13-Jul-08 10:13:38

take it to another store.

i returned one after uits folding mechanism broke 10 days before guarentee expiry. they just gave me a brand new one.

namechange3 Sun 13-Jul-08 10:24:46

By fall off, what do you mean? Do you mean the double wheel came away from th eframe, but is still attached to the brake? Or do you mean that th eouter wheel has come away from the other?
Also, how often do you use it and what amount of shopping do you shove on the back- and be honest about it.

catsareeasier Sun 13-Jul-08 21:54:50

Thanks for responding. The outer wheel came away from the other. They said all they could do was send it back to the manufacturer who would check it and report back (ie not even necessarily replace or even repair it at the end of that). And they offered to see if they had a spare we could use - didn't find out if they had one since we declined the whole rigmarole. We just felt after such a short time it wasn't reasonable for the pushchair to fall apart, it was clearly faulty, and it sounded like it wasn't a one-off from what the other assistant said. If it's faulty we are entitled to a refund and their 28 day policy doesn't come into it (or at least that's what I think! Like I said, we're getting in touch with trading standards for some expert advice. We may end up getting nowhere but I'm feeling pretty ripped off because they were so unhelpful. I did see it had a six month guarantee too, which made it seem even more stupid that they won't give us our money back.)

We use it daily, ds is a keen walker so most of the time it's being pushed around empty, just in case he gets tired. I do carry shopping in it while he walks, but only once a week or so, and it tips really easily if you try and hang stuff off the back so I tend not to.

I also noticed, looking on the internet about it last night, that Mothercare describe it on their website as useful as a backup stroller (can't remember the exact wording, but implying you shouldn't use it that often) - but I hadn't seen anything to that effect when we bought it instore, and we probably wouldn't have bought it if it had.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now