Talk

Advanced search

new front door for £2000??

(7 Posts)
jasper Thu 03-Feb-05 21:59:48

My front door is falling apart.
Got quote to replace it in mahoggany hardwood, with glazed panels including new frame , locks , fitting.

was shocked at quote for nearly £ 2000.

Mind you I have never bought a front door, maybe this is the going rate.

Anyone know?

JanH Thu 03-Feb-05 22:08:41

Is it off the shelf or made to measure, jasper? (According to this there are several standard sizes but I think 80x32 is the standardest.)

Sounds like a lot though.

emmatmg Thu 03-Feb-05 22:09:47

We had a lovely wooden (can't remember which wood, it's hardwood but not mahongony ) door fitted last May.

Very posh, triple glazed stained glass panels, fixtures and fitting.

£600.

£2000 seems very expensive.

weightwatchingwaterwitch Thu 03-Feb-05 22:11:47

Very expensive. I worked for a builder for a while a couple of years ago and one couple had their DREAM front door, I think it was a grand. So 2 is v excessive IMO! Look around online, I bet you can get a nice one much cheaper.

Furball Thu 03-Feb-05 22:12:41

I don't know much about it but if you look Here seems the chap will be making afair bit of profit! Is he a reputable chap. Maybe you could do him a deal on his dental care

jasper Thu 03-Feb-05 22:18:42

local joiners .....recommended on mumsnet!
It is a stndard sized door - I have not even seen it yet. He came to quote for doors and windows but the door is semi urgent (there is a gale whistling through it)

I thought that seemed very expensive.

SofiaAmes Sat 05-Feb-05 00:11:49

Does that include a new door frame and fitting it too? If so then it might be a bit expensive, but not totally crazy for a custom door. The question is whether you really need a custom door. Is your door frame ok? Measure the door you have now and look online. You might find a new door or a used door (ebay, loot) for a lot less. If you don't need to replace the door frame, fitting a new (or used) door is really easy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: