Talk

Advanced search

advice on buggy/ transport solution for 18 month old and newborn

(23 Posts)
Shelly679 Sat 12-Jul-08 09:34:25

I currently own a mamas and papas pliko p3 and I just used the pram liner for my dd which I thought was useless as I thouht she lay crooked in it, definately not lie flat. I'm now expecting again and was looking at the mypod or navetta carry cot that attaches on to the pram.
Does anyone have one of these or is it a waste of money for the length of time they are in them. Or would I be better off getting a double buggy for them?

Any advice would be grateful as I don't want to be making any more mistakes!

NorthernLurker Sat 12-Jul-08 09:38:30

with an 18 mth old I think you need a double buggy.

Shelly679 Sat 12-Jul-08 09:50:07

Have been looking at the maclaren twin triumph. Are these any good? Really don't want to be spending a fortune on another buggy but would still like one that will last a few years

accessorizequeen Sat 12-Jul-08 10:03:06

Have you considered Phil n Teds? Or a second hand out and about nipper? I agree with NL, you'll need something for both children. With P&T you just have a single pram once your dd is old enough to walk everywhere.

Look at the reviews on mumsnet, there's some on the twin triumph.

NorthernLurker Sat 12-Jul-08 10:04:10

I think maclaren are generally pretty reliable but it may not be the easiest to push. You need to think how wide are the doors you want to go through, how likely is your toddler to poke the baby, how strong are your arms and how often do you want to fold it? In my double buggy days I had a one in front one behind thing. It was good from the fitting through doors and no poking aspects but it was hard on the arms and it occupied the space as Belgium folded!

HolidaysQueen Sat 12-Jul-08 10:06:27

Two of my friends have a similar age gap and both have the Phil & Ted's and love it. It has the advantage of being the width of a single pram as well so easier to manoeuvre around shops etc.

sweetkitty Sat 12-Jul-08 10:14:57

I had 18 months between my two and you will really need a double buggy.

I had a m&p twin aria which was rubbish then a graco tandem, this time I am getting a phil and teds.

You can pick up good doubles on ebay as loads of people only use them for a few months.

CarGirl Sat 12-Jul-08 10:19:38

YOu will asbsolutely need a double.

From the cheaper end of the market the graco tandem (the older version without the funny handles is fine) is really good, surprisingly easy to steer and folds up relatively small.

Otherwise you're looking at:
Phil & ted
Jane powertwin
mountain buggy urban
nipper 360
XTS twister

there are def advantages of tandem over side by side.

My childminder and I have tried almost every double on the market, other things we thought was very good was a bertini bidwell with toddler seat and buggy board (their buggy boards stow away when not in use) so eventually you can take off the toddler seat and still have the buggy board to use.

Shelly679 Sat 12-Jul-08 10:22:04

I'm sorry i really don't like the phil and teds, i just don't like the way the baby sits underneath the pram, i know it looks great though.
I think i'd prefer a side by side buggy rather than a tandem. Its all so confusing, i still have a few months before i'm due to decide. I'll go around a few shops when i still have the energy to look at them

SoupKitchen Sat 12-Jul-08 10:22:10

Go for a double that has a single push bar.
At 18 months you will want to hold DD's hand when she is walking this is near impossible with a double like the mclaren.

I have 14 months between mine and have now had my P&T for 2 and half years and have used it very day, now use it as a single.

CarGirl Sat 12-Jul-08 10:22:21

made a mistake I mean the bertini Shuttle here's one on ebay

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bertini-Shuttle-Pushchair-with-detatchable-Toddler-seat_W0QQitemZ190236368615QQihZ009 QQcategoryZ66700QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

asur Sat 12-Jul-08 10:38:04

I bought a Bertini with toddler seat - got it used on ebay. It's fab!! My toddler loves sitting in the seat and it's a breeze to push. I had thought about p&t but couldn't justify the price and much prefer a real pram. I think it depends also if you plan any more kids - might help justify cost of P&T.

Don't envy you though - I debated for ages over my pram - drove everyone around me mad!!

asur Sat 12-Jul-08 10:39:27

forgot to say, bertini was £50 delivered so pretty cheap and great condition despite being well used.

CarGirl Sat 12-Jul-08 10:42:40

My chilminder gave up her powertwin for the bertini shuttle. Only downside is that for an older sitting up baby/toddler there is not much room in the back however that is as a childminder as a Mum you will probably stop using the toddler seat once your baby is a year old. You can buy the bertini buggyboards seperately as well the slide away under the shopping basket.

Shelly679 Sat 12-Jul-08 10:47:17

thanks asur at least I know i'm not alone, i'm already driving my oh mad!! We really don't want to be spending that kind of money again and I don't even know where to begin looking for a good second hand one

CarGirl Sat 12-Jul-08 10:51:21

Ebay is fine if you want me to look at auctions for you let me know. Best thing to do is go through the site map and sort evrything by nearest first and find those you can go and view before bidding (and save on postage costs)

nicolamumof3 Sat 12-Jul-08 11:14:20

I have a maclaren twin triumph, it was my fourth double and I really like it. I've got it in the brown colour has nice blue seat liners which are reversible (but I find them hard to fit) It fits through most doorways. I don't like tandems find them heavy and cumbersome. But its all personal preference. There was 18months between my two. it is now v.hard to push as my son is 2.5yr and my 'baby' is one tomorrow so im trying to encourage my middle son to walk as much as poss instead. But you will certainly need a double. I agree with secondhand as I have sold on many as new pushchairs for cheap!

Eponyme Sat 12-Jul-08 13:18:20

Just a word on the Maclaren triumph twin. Its not at all suitable for a newborn as the seat doesn't lay flat, it only reclines a little bit, which is fine for a 6 months old but no younger. Otherwise they are really nice.

Twin Nipper 360? Nice and lightweight and easy to push.

Or get a babydan pramseat to fit on top of your Navetta - at 18 months your toddler will love riding up so high but you've still just got a regular size buggy.

nicolamumof3 Sat 12-Jul-08 13:29:40

I would personally say from about 3months having used the twin triumph it does recline quite alot to almost lying flat you adjust it at the back with a strap so theres no set no. of recline positions.

nicolamumof3 Sat 12-Jul-08 13:32:51

also you can use a sling with your newborn and have your 18month old in the pushchair. I used to do this if I was racing around the park! It was good solution. Not sure about toddler seats in winter how they would work with raincovers etc?

PotPourri Sat 12-Jul-08 13:43:20

I had my first 2 at 18 monhts apart and can also confirm that you will need a double buggy. I had a marco sky which was great, quite heavy but very small. And as it is tandem it si easier to get around town etc adn in doors etc. I also had an xtc double 3 wheeler all terrain for around home (I live in teh sticks, lots of rough tracks).

Definately buy second hand as it will only be needed for about 6 months, then you will probably find the bigger one wants to walk more - and you can get a buggy board or seat to go to attach to the back of your pliko (a huge relief I found when I got to that stage!). Check hte local paper, and on here too. Maclaren that I have is great but a single so not sure what double is like.

Think about how you will use it - does it need to fit in your boot, does it need to be all terrain, does it need to be foldable with one hand for the bus etc? Does it need to go through alot of shop doors. And are you bothered if it looks great? (If not, you can save a huge amount LOL!)

Shelly679 Mon 14-Jul-08 09:59:02

Thanks for the great advice it has given me so much to think about now. The babydan pramseat looks great I didn't even know that they existed.
My main prorities are that the pushchair is light, practical and easy to push and compact when folded. Can you get a buggy like this?

I still have a few months before i'm due, will keep an eye out and hopefully one will come up second hand.

heathermcg Wed 16-Jul-08 22:49:55

Hi there
My vote is for the Jane Powertwin...I had 18months between my two and it worked really well. I brought the car seat to attach to the frame.
The buggy is dead easy to push, and fits through all doorways I have ever come across, as well as over rough terrain - can't praise then enough.

I just so happen to need to sell the whole system if you are interested in any details?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now