Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone have a hug-a-bub sling and can tell me a bit about it?

(44 Posts)
Dragonhart Sat 12-Jul-08 07:38:00

I want a sling that I can use when running after ds1 and dd2 when I am at things like toddler groups and when I let dd2 walk now she has eventualy found her legs! I dont plan to use it for longer than about 6 months.

Just afew questions about the hug-a-bub;

I get pretty hot so is it cool or very sweaty?

Is it ok for heavier babies? ds1 was huge, while dd2 is tiny so just wondered if the stretch was too much for a heavier baby.

Does it age well and would it be ok to try to get a 2nd hand one? Or does it stretch so that better to buy new?

If buying 2nd hand, how important is the dvd? Have noticed afew for sale dont have it but would I still be able to get the hang of it?

HairyMaclary Sat 12-Jul-08 07:51:13

I loved mine, and gave it to a friend as I thought that my karrime would be the same. It wasn't. I really missed the hug-a-bub. It has much less stretch, which I preferred as the baby stayed still. I bought a 2nd hand one which was fine, in v good condition. It was also excellent for when my 7lb 3 day old baby decided to stop feeding altogether and I wore him next to my skin all day. I used it till he was about 6 months at a very average weight until i gave it away.

I think I have a video, not DVD, still for mine as I showed my friend how to use it. Will need to check that as DS2 asleep in that room, but if you have facitlities to watch a video i'm happy to send it to you free of charge. i found it v useful but you could probably do without it.

hope this makes sense have DS1 calling for his brakfst in my ear!

bealcain Sat 12-Jul-08 07:59:54

Hug-a-bub is great, although i would tend to sway more toward the moby.

It's fine for heavier babies if you're not intending on using past 6months.

The wrap itself is quite cool, baby will obviously be next to you so will pick up your body temp, so be careful not to overdress baby. Also bear in mind that if Los head is against your bare skin, then your skin will adjust temp according to what they need. eg. if they're hot you're skin will cool down in order to cool them down.

They age very well and get softer with each use and wash.

They age well, but i would inclined to buy new with a stretchy, esp. as a new moby is only £30 and a second hand one is usually about £25.

The instructions aren't majorly important as you can watch videos on youtube and all the websites have their own instructions on their anyway. the wraps are all pretty generic in their tying methods.

Just remember not to be daunted by the amount of material, you WILL get the hang of it in less than a day. Take your time with it and don't try it for the first few times with a grizzly baby!

HTH

mrsleroyjethrogibbs Sat 12-Jul-08 14:25:08

if i were you I would also look at a Mei tai

check out slingjax

Dragonhart Mon 14-Jul-08 10:44:18

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

Is the Moby very similar to the hug-a-bub then? Hug-a-bub seems to look a bit nicer but as the moby is £20 cheaper would definatly lean towards that one!

Thanks for the offer HairyMclary but we dont have a video player atm. Ours was eating the tapes so we got rid of it (after telling ds1 off for spoiling the tapes, we realised it was the player! blush)

sallyforth Mon 14-Jul-08 10:49:09

I borrowed a 2nd hand Hugabub. It was fab I highly recommend it. DVD useful but there are instructions on website, youtube etc or you could find a slingmeet where someone could show you.
The dvd says you can use for toddlers hmm but in general stretchy wraps are often a bit too stretchy to use for long periods once baby gets past 15lb.

bealcain Mon 14-Jul-08 13:15:25

Dragon heart, yes moby very similiar. If you prefer the look of the hug-a-bub then try the moby d, it;s still less expensive!

accessorizequeen Mon 14-Jul-08 13:35:55

is the moby-d more supportive than ordinary moby? I was leaning towards a hug a bub because all the reviews on here seemed to suggest it was more supportive, less stretchy than moby or kari-me. Hug a bub going for at least £30 on ebay (I'm watching several!) whereas mobys go for about £20 secondhand.

bealcain Mon 14-Jul-08 13:42:56

IMHO the only difference between a moby and hug-a-bub is market value. The hug has been around longer and is seen as one of the first natural slings. Moby is american. the moby d has the extra pocket/panel at front so would suggest more support, but they all offer the same support as long as you tie them tight enough.

i have a sling library with quite a few wraps in it, let me know if you want to hire before you buy...we're very cheap!!

accessorizequeen Mon 14-Jul-08 15:42:00

thanks, beal. Hiring would normally be great, but I'm nearly 7mo pg with twins so not going to practice with 30 pound toddler! Hugabub's do seem a lot more expensive than moby's and I have other things (a pouch and eden mei tei), just wanted to try wrapping, maybe move onto a woven later if I like it.

bealcain Mon 14-Jul-08 15:53:23

i would definately go for a moby then and then perhaps move to cotton gauze...calin bleu??

mrsleroyjethrogibbs Mon 14-Jul-08 16:33:12

just a thought but you might also want to consider a stretchy but supportive wrap called a baby bundler. slightly lesser known but its double layered so its more supportive than a hugabub and a moby

Dragonhart Mon 14-Jul-08 18:40:29

Does that make it hotter Mrsleroy? As I said I am quite a hot body! grin

Have heard calin bleu ones are cool. Are they much cooler than moby/hug-a-bub bealcane?

mrsleroyjethrogibbs Mon 14-Jul-08 19:07:02

calin bleu is more gauzey and has a smudge more stretch but would probably be a bit cooler. tbh nothing beats a didymos or a storchenwiege esp if you get a linen blend didymos.

bealcain Mon 14-Jul-08 19:08:15

i love cotton gauze ones. don't think it; makes much difference re: heat in the end though as yours and baby's temp adjust to each others condition. i think the CB is better value for money because you can use it for longer. You can back wrap with the moby but it;s so much easier with a non-stretch. (i'm still carrying my 3yo)

bealcain Mon 14-Jul-08 19:09:03

mrsleory you think the cb has more stretch? on what carry?

mrsleroyjethrogibbs Mon 14-Jul-08 19:19:39

From what I remember it does have a bit more stretch to it. but again it was a while ago I tried one and they might have changed. I probably could manage a back carry but it wouldnt be supportive enough for me tbh. I find that as they are thinner they tend to bite into my shoulders a bit more, but I do have boney boney shoulders

accessorizequeen Mon 14-Jul-08 19:43:42

good to hear the recommendations from the experts! I wanted to buy secondhand, I'm spending enough on the twins, haven't seen a baby bundler anywhere bit will have a look. They'll be born sept so not too worried about getting hot (unless they're born August!). There was a 2ndhand moby-d going for £35 on UK babywearing swap and hug a bub's sell for that on ebay.

mrsleroyjethrogibbs Mon 14-Jul-08 19:54:15

here

Dragonhart Mon 14-Jul-08 20:58:41

Ahhhhhh! Now I dont know what to do!!

Tried a didymos at a baby fayre and I found it a bit bulky. Are moby/hug-a-bub a bit less weighty?

accessorizequeen Mon 14-Jul-08 21:16:09

looks gorgeous mrsleroy but really wanted something secondhand & avail, in uk. Have just seen a hug a bub for £17 on Yahoo babywearingswap!

Sounds like you really need to buy one or more wraps 2nd hand dragonhard and find out what suits you (have you joined the group above as it's a good way of buying & selling slings and wraps?)

bealcain Mon 14-Jul-08 21:19:12

dragonheaet - i'll repeat a previous post. i run a slin library and have a few different sorts of wraps if you want to try them before you buy. i currently have calin bleu gauze, moby, and a bebina shorty. i also have a close carrier, which is fab, just like a wrap but without the bother of tying. contact me through www.handinhandbreastfeeding.co.uk if you;re interested.

Dragonhart Mon 14-Jul-08 21:31:30

Thanks for the link acessorizequeen. Will take a look. Why is it buying anything for babies is a mindfield of research?!

Impressed you will be carrying twins while running after a toddler! I was worried about carrying one while chasing my ds and dd. Mainly getting one so that I can get up and chase ds when he is battering some other poor child at a toddler group or a play date without leaving the new baby vulnerable to other children who think they are a doll!

Dragonhart Mon 14-Jul-08 21:32:54

Thanks bealcain, will take a look.

Thanks to everyone else too. It has been a real help.

fourlittlefeet Mon 14-Jul-08 21:37:35

I've just stopped using my second hand hug a bub with my 11kg 14 month old. and thats because I'm 3 months pregnant and it was interfering with the emerging bump!

really loved it. loved the pocket and the way its not really stretchy so you don't have to garrot yourself when first putting it on to stop the baby reaching your knees!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now