Talk

Advanced search

Wii Fit - Anyone got one ? Come and tell me about them please

(43 Posts)
TillyScoutsmum Fri 11-Jul-08 09:45:34

I need to do some exercise and because of childcare arrangements, its only really possible to do it at home at nap/bedtimes

I've tried a couple of aerobics dvd's, but there's not massive amounts of space in the lounge so that doesn't really work so I'm thinking of getting Wii Fit.

We haven't got a Wii at the moment so would need to get the console and all the other gubbins

Has anyone got one ? Are they worth it ? Is it going to sit in the bottom drawer gathering dust after two uses ? What do they actually do ? [clueless emoticon]]

TIA

JRocks Fri 11-Jul-08 09:51:33

I haven't got one, but have used a friend's. I'm not sure how useful it is as a complete exercise type of thing, from what I've seen the segments don't last all that long and you have to keep clicking on things with the remote to repeat exercises, iyswim. So you don't get the sustained momentum of an exercise class. It's a hell of a lot more fun though!

I stand to be corrected on the whole not as sustained thing, btw smile

HappyMummyOfOne Fri 11-Jul-08 10:02:08

They are ace, love mine. You do start with basic exercises but as you complete them they unlock harder levels - the jogging one is very good but seems to go on for ever lol. The step class is also good.

Loads more fun then an exercise dvd so more likely to stick at it.

TillyScoutsmum Fri 11-Jul-08 10:51:36

Thanks - so as well as the cardio vascular stuff - do they do any toning exercises ?

I've found a package on ebay which include a console (and Wii standard games package), with remotes etc and the wii fit and the board thingy for £300. Does that sound reasonable ?

sorry for all the questions smile

RubyRioja Fri 11-Jul-08 10:53:38

We have one and it is great - agree exercises are very segmented, but that helps you keep going if you are very unfit (trust me , I know). I particularly like instant feedback which I need for motivation.

JRocks Fri 11-Jul-08 11:09:11

Yes they do all sorts of exercises - I'm quite a fan of the hula hoop! There's yoga type poses to hold, and things like ski jump which are all about balance etc. Be prepared to be horrified by the Fitness age it first calculates for you though!

£300 sounds a lot, but I think that's mainly down to the availability of the Wii Fit itself at the moment, so with that in mind, it's probably the best price you'll get atm.

Happy Wii-ing! grin

TheMuppetMuggle Fri 11-Jul-08 11:12:09

i love mine, i'm getting better at the balancing ones, and you can tell a little bit of difference on my thighs grin

Happy Wii-ing!

TillyScoutsmum Fri 11-Jul-08 11:12:47

Brill thanks. Just need to convince DP now that I'll morph from my lazy arse self and actually do some exercise grin

JRocks Fri 11-Jul-08 11:15:43

If your DP is anything like mine he'll loooove the Wii Sports that comes with the actual console. DP is very competitive, and is addicted to the tennis. Gets quite peeved if I beat him grin Also quite fun when friends are over for dinner to have drunk bowling contests hmmgrin

rosealbie Fri 11-Jul-08 11:22:44

We don't have a Wii fit but if you have the room, how about getting a cross-trainer? My dh bought one a while ago, it sits in the corner of the room and we both use it (we do have a spare room downstairs though - can appreciate not everyone wants their house to look like a gym!). Cost much less as well! I think it was about £200.

TheMuppetMuggle Fri 11-Jul-08 11:24:23

JR - i can't play tennis on wii sports with my DP i swear he trys wrapping the controller round my head grin

arfur Fri 11-Jul-08 11:40:02

Have just got one and we love it. Watching my dh do the hula hooping and step is the funniest thing Ive ever seen! He was on it for over an hour last night because he had to beat me and dd at everything (he insists hes very fit tee hee) hes not very active but is fiercely competitive so Im hoping for a fitter me and fitter husband into the bargain!

HappyMummyOfOne Fri 11-Jul-08 11:45:50

DH and I do ours when DS goes to bed, he's better at the football one, tightrope and hula hooping but I win hands down on the ski-ing, stepping and balance game with the ball.

We've both had exercise equipment in the past that just gets left to collect dust but we love this. So easy to store as well as dont personally like bulky exercise equipment.

I like wii sports too especially the tennis.

nappymadmummy Fri 11-Jul-08 11:53:46

Just got one and love love love it. Mind you I think I've pulled a muscle in my arm cos it's so sore grin

I wouldn't pay £300 on ebay for one. If you google for "wii fit in stock" there's a few sites that will tell you when stores have them in stock online (and often they are as part of a bundle). It's also worth popping into shops such as Game, HMV, etc as they get frequent deliveries but sell out pretty fast so it can be a case of getting lucky (for the Wii Fit that is).

We found Game had the best deal on the Wii console (£179.99 with Wii Sports and another game). Argos was cheapest for an extra controller (£29.99). We managed to get a Wii Fit at Game the day after as they happened to get a delivery.

There's a good thread on money saving expert where people often post about which stores have had deliveries, making it easier to know where to check locally.

nappymadmummy Fri 11-Jul-08 11:54:58

Oh and agree with Arfur about hula hooping, so funny watching my dh doing that. grin

JRocks Fri 11-Jul-08 12:00:22

I swear to God I got tennis elbow the other day from wii tennis blush Know what you mean about remote/head collision though! DP is a little exuberant shall we say!

TillyScoutsmum Fri 11-Jul-08 17:23:23

Right - I've found one in Dixons - Wii console (with sports), Wii fit, Balance board, 2 x remote controls for £269.99. Do your reckon that's the best I'm going to get ?

Have got bottle of wine open and nice dinner so I can seduce dp (to get a wii natch - nothing more sinister grin)

HappyMummyOfOne Fri 11-Jul-08 17:56:48

The dixons bundle is the usual retail price, bearing in mind wii fit is pretty much sold out everywhere its a good deal.

JRocks Fri 11-Jul-08 17:57:10

That sounds like a reasonable deal to me smile It would cost about that to get it all individually anyway. Good luck!

janeite Fri 11-Jul-08 18:08:41

Yes that sounds a decent bundle offer.

We got Wii Fit a week or two ago and it is fantastic. I especially like the hula hoop and the step class but am also becoming addicted to a game where you have to wobble balls through holes, like one of those old fashioned puzzles.

It tells me I've lost 3 pounds since we got it but I suspect it's just being kind!

Phoenix Fri 11-Jul-08 19:42:10

Oooo we just got ours today. We called into Game to see if they had any in, they said 'we're expecting a delivery any minute now, so if you can wait you can have one'

I can't wait to try it out

foxythesnowfox Fri 11-Jul-08 19:50:22

Aww! I want one envy

Look at it this way Mr TillyScoutsmum, Mrs TSM could have a 4 month gym membership (by the time you've included the joining fee and kit) for the same price, so it is not only an investment, but a bargain grin

I, however, have 9 months to run on my sodding gym membership (which has been on hold for 9 months) so can't have one yet. angry

DanJARMouse Fri 11-Jul-08 19:52:29

LOVE mine!

Really must get back into it though, have lapsed lately due to feeling like shit!

TillyScoutsmum Fri 11-Jul-08 22:26:44

MrTillyscoutmum ( or Tillyscoutsdad) has agreed we can get one. Yay grin

Unfortunately, the one I found earlier is now farkin out of stock angry

If anyone comes across any reasonably price bundles in stock, please let me know

Thanks

DanJARMouse Fri 11-Jul-08 22:27:21

check out amazon - thats where we got ours

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now