Talk

Advanced search

4 foot double bed - too small??

(12 Posts)
janmoomoo Thu 10-Jul-08 22:19:56

I was considering getting a four foot double bed which is smaller than your standard four foot six. Our spare room is very small and the spare bed is only used for guests (usually couples) staying over and they are usually in a high state of refreshment.

Was wondering if I could get away with a four foot bed or if it really is too blummin small. Has anyone got experience of sleeping in one and what do you all reckon??

hf128219 Thu 10-Jul-08 22:25:39

I think it would be fine for occasional guests. A six inch difference isn't much in a bed - and will make your spare room seem a lot bigger.

IdrisTheDragon Thu 10-Jul-08 22:28:35

When I lived at home I had a four foot bed to myself. Now when we go to see my family, we sleep in that bed. As we have a king sized one, the 4 foot one seems a bit small, but it's fine for a few nights.

PeaMcLean Thu 10-Jul-08 22:32:27

I'd hate it but DH is very tall and we wouldn't both fit. However, if your guests are of normal size it might be fine. I'm always amazed people sleep in 4ft 6 beds as a matter of course.

So where do you find a 4 ft bed? If the vote here is in favour, I'd give it a go in our spare room.

noddyholder Thu 10-Jul-08 22:33:22

ds has one and guests have slept in it its fine.Does make the room look bigger but still a double iykwim.

WendyWeber Thu 10-Jul-08 22:35:01

Could you get a sofabed instead? It would take up less space when it was folded - one of those Ikea ones like this or this?

(Second one is a bigger bed so maybe too big for your room)

Jas Thu 10-Jul-08 22:36:14

We have one (actually the bottom of a set of bunks, with a 3 ft on top), which is fine for short periods, and if I had a better matress would be ok full time tbh.

Also perfect for a very mobile child who falls out of bed frequently!

Shitemum Thu 10-Jul-08 22:36:55

We have a 135cm wide bed, is that the same?

By morning there are sometimes 4 of us in it!

Yes, it's small but if it's just for guests and you don't have room for a bigger one I don't see how they can complain...

hf128219 Thu 10-Jul-08 22:59:19

135 cm is about 4'5!

Elkat Thu 10-Jul-08 23:30:27

We had a 4ft bed as our main bed for donkey's years. It was fine. We went from that to a 6ft bed... and I still sleep on the edge!

janmoomoo Fri 11-Jul-08 14:00:30

Thanks everyone. It sounds like it might be ok as it is only for drunken guests. There are some on ebay quite reasonable.

I have got one of those single beds with another single underneath but I get fed up with having to pull it all out and remake the bed whenever anyone is coming to stay.

GrapefruitMoon Fri 11-Jul-08 14:02:45

We sleep in one when we visit my parents. It's obviously not as comfortable as our own king-size but is ok for a few days (providing none of the dcs decide to join us...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now