Talk

Advanced search

Double Buggy Advice

(22 Posts)
jm54 Thu 10-Jul-08 12:41:00

I'm due to have a baby in November, when my first child will be 23 months. I'm assuming I'll need a double buggy? If so, any advice on which ones would be good for this age gap? Am leaning towards the side-by-side variety, but am open to advice!

Elmosgirl Thu 10-Jul-08 12:42:13

I have an 18 month age gap and have a double Nipper 360. Have no complaints about it although all doubles are pretty awful.

Celery Thu 10-Jul-08 12:42:30

out n about nipper. Narrow, light, easy to push. I liked it so much I got the single version when I no longer needed the double.

Celery Thu 10-Jul-08 12:42:54

snap Elmosgirl grin

babbintot Thu 10-Jul-08 15:51:07

Message withdrawn

ChopsTheDuck Thu 10-Jul-08 16:04:55

nipper!

Ready4anotherCoffee Thu 10-Jul-08 16:06:56

MB double. We love it. plas ds can sit on the footplate when he is tired or we are running latesmile

jm54 Fri 11-Jul-08 09:30:35

Thanks all, v helpful. So far 3 votes for nipper, 2 for MB urban double ... keep 'em coming!

AllBuggiedOut Fri 11-Jul-08 09:32:39

MB urban, with carry cot for the baby. No contest!

CarGirl Fri 11-Jul-08 09:34:44

Can you try them out in the boot of your car - that could be the deciding factor. MB is much heavier to lift but no more difficult to push.

jm54 Fri 11-Jul-08 09:51:08

Yes, car an important consideration, but we're getting a new one before Nov, so thought I'd buy the double buggy first, and make sure whatever car we buy has enough room for it! Suppose more sensible to buy buggy to suit car, not vice versa, but hey, sensible is over-rated, I reckon!

elmoandella Fri 11-Jul-08 10:07:08

i got jane powertwin. can get thru any door. neighbour has nipper, she cant go in certain shops on high street.

handy features such as being able to put infant carrier on and off with one hand.

downside is when you have heavy one in front its a bit heavy to steer.

but i had big one in back and baby on front facing each other when using infant carrier.

by the time she was out infant carrier i could put her in front as it lies back far enough for her to sleep in either front or back.

the nipper is v good to push though. not the smallest fold up.my powertwin fits in my tiny 207.my friend fits her powertwin in her 307 AND and maclaren at same time

Yorky Fri 11-Jul-08 10:08:21

jm, my 2nd is also due November when DS will be 22months! I have a double buggy as am planning on starting childminding but Ofsted... (don't ask) Its a Red Castle shop n jogg double, very like nipper, lovely and light to push, but doesn't fold small and is heavyish to lift into car. Have had DS and friend in it and they are really sweet, either holding hands or fighting over rice cakes if the other eats then too slowly! The Mothercare urban double looks very similar but is quite a bit wider so might be a pain for doorways, don't know if it makes it better for older children. Red castle (French company so hard to find to get hands on with here) also do another double which can take a carrycot or car seat if thats an important consideration to you, most doubles are just seats, with lie flt for tinies. My only advice on the nipper is make sure its a 360, a fixed front wheel must be a nightmare! Good luck

Eponyme Fri 11-Jul-08 14:25:25

Another vote for Powertwin here, there is absolutely nowhere I cannot got with it. I even fit it into my mums VW Polo!

babbintot Fri 11-Jul-08 20:37:15

Message withdrawn

Shelly679 Sat 12-Jul-08 10:08:45

I am in the same situation, am due in december and my first child will be 18 mths old. I was thinking of a side by side buggy but don't want one that is too expensive and also won't fall apart as soon as you go the door.

Elk Sat 12-Jul-08 10:23:18

No votes yet for the Phil and TEd!! I have one and it is great. I am now using it as a single for the youngest. I tried to do without a double but it makes life so much easier. Also, in a P&T the baby gets rocked to sleep as you walk around.

heathermcg Wed 16-Jul-08 22:54:27

Hi there
Vote firmly for the Powertwin - fitted in the back of my Micra and pushes like a dream...
Have mine for sale with car seat etc...if anybody out there is interested???

LongLiveGreenElizabeth Wed 16-Jul-08 22:59:15

No, don't get a P&t. I loved it when dc2 was tiny, BUT he GREW. my normal sized DC1's legs drilled a hole throught the basket underneath, so it dragged along the ground and I couldn't use it.

In some ways that was my fault as the older child is supposed to go on top. BUT.. the older child is going to be the one that wants to jump in and out, walk some of the way.. so I used always to put dc2 on top and my dd on the bottom.

Looking back now....... I wish I'd got a powertwin. they are narrow, but strong, and manoueverable. (sp)

jmo. I know some people pray to P&T

cba Wed 16-Jul-08 23:03:56

nipper, i have the double. light to lift, light to push a dream.

jm54 Thu 17-Jul-08 14:41:59

Nipper is definitely in the lead, and at half the price of the MB urban double, think that's the one I'll go for. Now, where to get the best bargain ...!

Thanks all!

Fadge Thu 17-Jul-08 14:44:11

Nipper or the Mountain buggy double, both are excellent, just depends on your wallet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now