Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about your coffee maker.

(31 Posts)
NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Wed 09-Jul-08 10:09:14

How easy is it to look after (i.e. clean)?

Is it a pain in the arse to do one cup of coffee?

What do I need to know before buying one?

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Wed 09-Jul-08 10:56:08

Ok I know it's boring, but please???

seeker Wed 09-Jul-08 11:07:48

I am officially the oldest person on here - I have been making coffee for 30 years and in that time I have had practically every type of coffee maker (including incredibly expensive "barrista"type things) I have come to the conclusion that the best coffee is made using a filter paper holder, a filter paper, a coffee pot (mine is yellow enamel) and a kettle. You can make as many cups as you like as strong as you like, it's easy to keep clean, it can't go wrong and it's cheap. And you cantake it camping with you. You can add a thermos jug if you like to keep left overs hot, but I find it's better to measure the amount you want and make another lot for second cups.

Look here

berolina Wed 09-Jul-08 11:09:24

I am the only one who drinks coffee here. I have a Senseo (they are expensive so twas a birthday present a couple of years ago) and I love and adore it.

seeker Wed 09-Jul-08 11:11:05

And here!

bobblehat Wed 09-Jul-08 11:13:52

DEpendson wha sort of coffee you like. I've got a gaggia one, that makes expressos and you can froth milk with it as well. It makes the best coffee (I like it anyhow!.

I'm not what you would call a lover of domestic duties, but it's really easy to look after. It takes about 5 mins to warm up, then filling it with coffee, pressing a button to make the coffee and frothing the milk take about another 3 mins. Longer than instant, but tastes wonderful

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Wed 09-Jul-08 11:14:12

But I want a latte maker <stamps foot>

wink

I do agree about the filter paper BTW.

Do those Senseo ones make lattes Berolina?

MilaMae Wed 09-Jul-08 11:15:03

Gaggia Classic Espresso maker-ideally with Illy coffee but that happens very rarely-heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haven't worked out how to take it camping yet-dp was very concerned when I tried to hatch a plan-it weighs a ton grin

MilaMae Wed 09-Jul-08 11:16:34

Second to a Boston Latte with an extra shot made in Boston Tea Party which is the best latte ever it makes the best lattes ever-believe me I'm fussy!!!!!!!!!!

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 09-Jul-08 11:19:00

I am obsessed with coffee and have a selection of espresso stove top pots,one is a 4 cup,the other 2 do a single cup,or 2 if they're very tiny...smells fantastic and makes a good strong cup.

Flower3554 Wed 09-Jul-08 11:22:35

I've got a tassimo machine, its easy peasy to clean and operate. You can get chocolate, tea as well as various coffees for it.

I love itsmile

hoxtonchick Wed 09-Jul-08 11:23:09

we have a gaggia baby & it's great. lavazza coffee for preference.

berolina Wed 09-Jul-08 11:28:09

No NJ, sadly, just does the basic. But I do it in a big cup and fill it up with hand-frothed milk and it is yummy.

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Wed 09-Jul-08 11:30:11

So which machine can I stick a mug under, press a button, and deliver my latte? Without having to fill it up everytime, and without having to faff with it every time I want a coffee?

Is there such a thing?

Flower3554 Wed 09-Jul-08 11:37:56

The tassimo has a disc system ie you slot in the disc of choice push the top down and press a button. Can't be simpler.

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Wed 09-Jul-08 11:39:25

And the Tassimo does lattes?

Flower3554 Wed 09-Jul-08 11:44:43

ah now you're getting complicatedwink Latte and cappuccino take two discs, first the coffee disc then the milk one.

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Wed 09-Jul-08 11:47:30

Oh blardy hell I don't want complicated! <lazy arse>

How do you actually make a hand made latte, is it just coffee and frothed milk? (yes I am a <dumb arse> as well!!)

It won't be the same with crappy instant coffee though, will it?

Am going to start climbing the walls if I don't get a ltte today! LOL

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Wed 09-Jul-08 11:47:44

latte

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Wed 09-Jul-08 11:51:23

DP has a Magimix Nespresso machine. You put water in the machine as and when needed, put a sealed coffee pod in the machine, press a button and the coffee comes out. You then heat/froth the milk with a steam thing on the side.

He likes it, I have no idea as I don't like coffee.

seeker Wed 09-Jul-08 12:52:14

Ok. If you want latte, you make a small weakish cup in the afore mentioned enamel pot/filter paper combo. While it's filtering you heaat up some milk in the microwave (give me a minute and I'll find you a lovely vintage jug somewhere) then you just mix the two together in a mug. Couple of experiments and you'll find the perfect proportions.

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Wed 09-Jul-08 13:12:56

Vintage jug? I'd make it in [[http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1038/886655694_62f0e2acc9.jpg?v=0 these] if I thought it'd work!

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Wed 09-Jul-08 13:13:17

Balls these

seeker Wed 09-Jul-08 13:22:14

Well, you can if you like - might make your microwave smell a bit funny, though....!

Seriously, try my way first - but without the vintage bulls**t. The filter holder cost less than a fiver, the filters are about a pound, so if you don't like it you've only wasted £6.

VanillaPumpkin Wed 09-Jul-08 13:28:24

I love my Senseo. It is very quick, easy, cheaper to run than Tassimo or the Nesspresso thingy and much more environmentally friendly too. The pods can be composted.
I heat my milk in the microwave for 20 seconds and then put it under the machine, press a button and wahay. It makes that crema froth and the Kenyan pods are especially delicious imo.
Perfect to make for one person and no mess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now