Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Save my sanity - *please* recommend a non-leak toddler cup suitable for milk

(38 Posts)
toddlerhip Tue 08-Jul-08 20:54:36

..preferably but not essentially a non toxic one. I prefer insulated cups ideally as they keep the milk fresher. (It does have to be milk- it's complicated). I am about go out to wash my carseats and pushchair for the umpteenth time. angry

Currently we are on http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/supersnack_sipper_18m/
http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/produc t/easiflowinsulated_12_months/
(i squeeze the straws clean each time and soak overnight)

They both leak.

Relatedly...I have a carrier bag full of plastic cups that leaked (!), that we never got to grips with or grew out of. What should i do with them? Bin em? Recycle (how?), ...???

Hulababy Tue 08-Jul-08 21:01:17

What about this?

I hadn't seen it before but a friend has it at her hhouse. It is new apparently. Has no spout at all, can be used for all cold liquids, and doesn't spill.

toddlerhip Tue 08-Jul-08 22:04:49

Good idea & ticks lots of boxes, but...i've tried it. You are talking to a hardcore cup experimenter! He wont drink from it. I think i will give it another shot though.

ummadam Tue 08-Jul-08 22:31:52

my 6m old can drink fine from one of these http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Category.aspx/BruOrFindUsing/BruAZOfBrands/BrufeedingVitalBaby

without making a mess so far......

(he insists on doing a one handed effort with the TT cup and ends up dropping it and the doidy cup is apparently a baby shower! - the vital baby one is working really well for us)

Pannacotta Tue 08-Jul-08 22:39:44

Not sure what to recommend cup wise, we use the Easy Flow cups for DS1 and DS2 (3 and 1), but they do leak a bit.
You could offer your "failed" cups here on MN on the For Free section, and ask the recipient/s to pay postage.

Washersaurus Tue 08-Jul-08 22:44:50

I have tried many many many cups - they all leak except for those tiny tommee tippee first cups. I am now using a sigg type bottle for DS1.

Tallis Tue 08-Jul-08 22:49:23

Top tip - bid for this on eBay. (I'm not selling it, btw - I just googled one on your behalf!) It's a Playtex Sipease (or Sippy) Cup.

You can usually get them only in the US. They are brilliant. Insulated so your milk will stay cold and the valve means they can be hurled any which way up and never leak. I always get people travelling to the states to pick them up for me as you can get them in pretty much any pharmacy over there, but Amazon.com charges a fortune in shipping to get them over here.

Honestly. Look no further...

Except, of course, you probably have a whole pile of Playtex Sippy Cups in your Failed Cups cupboard...grin

Twinklemegan Tue 08-Jul-08 22:49:53

Do yourself a favour and give up on the leak free cups. Instead just teach him not to tip them over or chuck them. Otherwise you're just storing up problems for the future (when a whole cup of milk goes for a burton).

WarmFuzzy Tue 08-Jul-08 22:50:17

We love the playtex straw cups. Supposedly for older children, DS2 has been using one since he was about 7 months old.

Twinklemegan Tue 08-Jul-08 22:51:56

But for out and about (having now read your post properly blush) I still use a TT first cup. It drips a bit if turned upside down, but considering it's not even meant to be non-spill it's pretty darned good. Tried others and they were all utter shite.

Tallis Tue 08-Jul-08 22:53:41

Oooh ToddlerHip - if you look at WamFuzzy's link it takes you to a UK-based Playtex supplier. Backtrack one step from the cups with straws and you get to the original Sippy Cups in 60z and 9oz sizes.

Crumbs, the excitement. I can get them in the UK. Have come over all giddy. Must sit down/go to bed.

tutu100 Tue 08-Jul-08 22:58:19

The Anyway up cup is the only cup that ds has managed not to destroy. It doesn't leak and it is really easy to keep clean as there are no tiny inaccessible bits to it. I think you can pick them up in most places. I bought mine from Superdrug.

tutu100 Tue 08-Jul-08 22:58:51

Forgot to say I have a huge cupboard of failed cups. It took several years to find that one.

MuffinMclay Wed 09-Jul-08 09:24:15

Tried lots. The only one I've found that doesn't leak is the Tommee Tippee first cup.

mishymoo Wed 09-Jul-08 09:28:16

I have tried and tested loads of branded cups and all of them have leaked. I picked up a really cheap (£1.99) plain cup that has a very-hard-to-get-off-suction type lid and it never leaks! I have found them at Asda and Morrisons. My DS takes it to bed with him every night.

toddlerhip Wed 09-Jul-08 11:48:36

Wow - great responses!

Haven't tried the Playtex or Siggy cups, so will give them a go.

Didn't know about the free recycle thing on MN ...but actually i don't think i could inflict these cups on anyone else. Good to know about though!

TT first leaks for us.

We did use vitalbaby for a while but now i just use them for storing his formula in the fridge. I make up 4 per day and take two out and about in a cool bag for the day but dread it every time. As soon as they are not upright they leak. I decant one into the larger TT cup for drinking as it is too big for the coolpack (the things you put up with on a daily basis!). But i can only do this once if we are out for the day and about as the TT cup is then dirty. Also, the VB flow isn't fast enough for him at 16mo. And we have lost loads of the little plastic valve inserts, and the caps. But the worst thing is that after a bit of use the plastic from the lid starts coming off in little bits and i'm sure it falls in the milk so i am desperate to get rid of them.

I think we might have had an Anyway. Can't remember why we abandoned that one. Might have been becuase i almost broke my teeth trying to get the lid off..?? Or maybe that was the one mishymoo has. I will look out for the Anyway though.

Thought i'd mention i bought my last (of 3) TT insulated 12mo cups in Tesco but the first time we used it (after washing) i realised (after ds had drunk - reluctantly - almost all his milk) that there was a horrendous smell of off cheese. There was loads of gunky yellow stuff stuck in the straw. TT sent a replacement and a little goody bag. The council tested it and found it wasn't old milk (i though TEsco might have accidentally put a returned product back on the shelf), but sth unidentifiable. DS had no ill effects luckily.

Thanks for all your ideas!

Mumsnut Wed 09-Jul-08 11:59:13

Can second the Playtex recommendation. My DS had these when we livwed in the States and I so regret binning them now we have our 'accidental' dd!

JoyS Wed 09-Jul-08 11:59:15

Another vote for the Playtex cups. My friend had them for her DD last time we were in the US and my DD loved them! Don't know why I didn't buy any then but am off to get the credit card...

WarmFuzzy Wed 09-Jul-08 13:27:54

AND I wash mine in the dishwasher - don't think TT let you do that.

nappyaddict Wed 09-Jul-08 13:42:47

what about this

toddlerhip Wed 09-Jul-08 14:40:15

Tried the earlier version of it. Got abandoned. Not quite sure why. That might have been the one with the pointy inside bit which ds kept doing challenging things with. Or maybe it leaked.

toddlerhip Wed 09-Jul-08 14:54:04

On the subject, does anyone know of a good coolbag (not a huge one) that is good for toddler size cups / bottles. It would need to fit 2, then i can get rid of the leaky, flaky VB ones and the decanting system. At the moment I have a square one that's big enough for 4 baby size cups (hence using VB) but it's not tall enough for the toddler sized ones and the tall bottle coolbags that i've seen available are not wide enough for 2 toddler cups.

nappyaddict Wed 09-Jul-08 15:37:07

it does have a pointy bit inside. ds has on a few occasions managed to untwist the lid and soak himself. maybe that's why it got abandoned? have you tried the avent magic cups?

chipo Wed 09-Jul-08 15:48:11

I have used loads of cups and found the anyway up ones to be the best www.mandyhaberman.com/Anywayup_Cup.php
They sell them in boots and tesco, if it does start to leak (eventually) then you can buy replacement lids.

WarmFuzzy Wed 09-Jul-08 16:13:06

Have you ever tried drinking out of an anywayupcup? It takes sooooooooooo much effort that my DS gave up drinking anything at all until we gave him something else!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now