Talk

Advanced search

Please talk to me about sheepskins! or perhaps I should just use a footmuff?

(25 Posts)
loucee Tue 08-Jul-08 18:22:12

I bought a lovely sheepskin for my pram from a mnetter and it's great but now DS is here I need another one.

I like the one I have (A Bowron one) but when it's time for footmuff weather (where we live the footmuff season is quite long) I don't use the sheepskin or else I put it inside the footmuff which makes it all a bit bulky.
Should I not bother with a sheepskin and just get a nice new footmuff and take the top off to leave the back of it as a permanent liner? I've seen the gorgeous sheepskin lined footmuffs but that's just out of my price range.

What do you all do? I would like a liner on the pram anyway as it's not very comfy (P&T)

Thanks

onelittlelion Tue 08-Jul-08 18:36:03

What about a stayput blanket? It's like the top of a footmuff and you could use with a sheepskin liner. Sheepskins are lovely and cool in summer and cosy in winter. I would want a sheepskin for summer tho as nothing else works as well to stop them getting sticky. Snunkie makes custom ones or you can buy them for about £20 new or you could just buy a footmuff!

accessorizequeen Tue 08-Jul-08 22:16:39

Plenty of footmuffs that zip off to leave liner but they're nearly always fleecy so too hot for summer. I do as you do, use bowron in summer & buggysnuggle in winter, thought I would buy both again really as due. the sheepskin really makes the buggy so comfy and keeps it nice and clean too! Plenty of buggysnuggles come up on mn.

loucee Tue 08-Jul-08 23:03:20

OLO I haven't heard of a stayput blanket before, thanks for suggestion but we live in a really exposed part of Scotland and so far only a Kaiser full on footmuff has proved warm enough for DD!

AQ - I do think I need another Bowron. There's a few on ebay so I'll watch those. Just seen a gorgeous sheepskin lined footmuff (a Kasier one) but it's for a Bugaboo and wrong colour for me. Good point about the footmuffs being too hot for summer.

Will go and see what's for sale

accessorizequeen Wed 09-Jul-08 20:14:08

Ah, well if it's scotland Kaiser is meant to be the best!

loucee Wed 09-Jul-08 21:45:44

AQ, yeah those Kaiser products are great. I've just been looking at the sheepskin lined footmuff and think that's the way to go, the top is fully removable so I'd have the sheepskin bottom as a liner in the summer then put the top on for the winter. It doesn't go up as high as the Igloo style ones but I can't have it all!

So, now I think I need to sell my sheepskin and existing kaiser thermal footmuff to go towards the new footmuffs.... hmm and a bit of convincing of DH!

babyjjbaby Wed 09-Jul-08 21:50:18

cheeky i know but if u sell ur one could u cat me grin

littleducks Wed 09-Jul-08 21:52:46

I have a p ant t and an outlook sheepskin liner which i move from buggy to car seat by the time i need a buggy snuggle full time i will be using buggy in two toddler mode and intend to use both footmuff and sheepskin as it doesnt affect the fold of the p and t

if you will be using it in baby and toddler mode i would use the sheepskin put baby in snowsuit/fleec babygrow and then have blankets

loucee Wed 09-Jul-08 22:27:36

BJB - sure but which is it you're interested in?

LD - would you be putting the sheepskin inside the buggy snuggle or the BS on top of the sheepskin? I find that our winters have a lot of damp air which require me to have a more of a water resistant footmuff (hence me going for the Kaiser one before which has been superb) also my DD doesn't like the rain cover so to avoid tantrums if it's only light rain I don't use the raincover (the Kaiser one is waterproof). When winter really sets in here DS will be coming up for a year and as he's lower down in the toddler seat underneath I would really like a footmuff type of set up.

Just concerned about the length of the sheepskin footmuffs, I don't want to spend that type of money if DD and DS will outgrow them quickly

babyjjbaby Wed 09-Jul-08 22:44:48

sorry lol the sheepskin

littleducks Wed 09-Jul-08 22:57:47

sheepskin inside footmuff

in two toddler mode footmuff the way to go

my dd exactly the same re raincover has been a PITA now i have a dbl buggy as previous just let her sit in techno xt with footmuff and hood up but i need to put raincover to keep baby dry now

the snunkie page mentioned above is amazing. I am in awe. I would love the double seat support shown here scroll down

Have been intending to make my own footmffs ot of synthetic fleece with help from mil so i can afford to matching

loucee Wed 09-Jul-08 23:36:00

LD, those snunkie sets looks fab but I don't see the point of buying those and the extra sheepskin liner if I can get a sheepskin lined footmuff (unless I'm missing something?).

The P&T really needs a separate raincover for the doubles seat underneath.

onelittlelion Thu 10-Jul-08 07:33:39

the sheepskin footmuffs do seem short. Are the kaiser longer? I would be tempted just to buy footmuffs for winter. We use sheepskin summer, buggy snuggle in middle with zip off front or sheepskin and blanket (can get water resistant ones i think) and kaiser iglu winter. Prob cheaper than than the sheepskin footmuff but i can see why you want. They do look lovely

loucee Thu 10-Jul-08 09:36:29

OLO I just prefer to not be faffing with lots of equipment and blankets always seem to drag down underneath the wheels. Then again though perhaps that's because of our poor weather up here? It's never really hot and autumn and spring are really chilly with Winter being freezing so I need a footmuff most of the time.

I will call Baby2childhood later and get the length of the footmuff, looking at the website the Kaiser Jogger sheepskin footmuff looks a lot longer but you can't zip off the front and if its the similar to my jogger one you can't fold back the sides to make just a liner as it's too bulky.

Hmmm

accessorizequeen Thu 10-Jul-08 21:52:13

loucee, don't outlook do a snug with sheepskin liner and zip off top? Or is it not long enough compared to kaiser? Or poss. not warm enough for scotland (well, it's made in Australia!)?
I love my cowprint buggy snuggle and it's enough for yorkshire so think I'll just buy another when I need to for dt's. Plus bowron so if bjb doesn't want it, I'd be interested!

loucee Fri 11-Jul-08 18:02:36

Oh AQ I hadn't seen that before, looks good. This is the one I'd love

accessorizequeen Fri 11-Jul-08 18:45:30

Gorgeous, loucee, but doesn't zip off does it? shock at cost if you wanted to buy two! Can see it's ideal for scottish weather though. We brought ds1 up to Black Isle in January one year and had about 4 blankets plus the footmuff to keep him cosy!

loucee Fri 11-Jul-08 20:19:59

No you're right AQ it doesn't zip off but I could roll back the sides for "summer" (we have had 1 hot week this year so far!). this is the one that zips off but the lady on the phone didn't think it would fit the Phil and Teds as needs something to tie it onto?

accessorizequeen Fri 11-Jul-08 20:29:41

Guess you could add velcro straps at the top? Very nice!

baby2childhood Fri 11-Jul-08 20:39:38

Sorry to be jumping into the discussion but saw it coming up in the statistics (the thread).

Both will fit the Phil and Teds but the Iglu one will fit the front seat of the Phil and Ted better as the top slips over the frame and will stay better in place, the other one needs to be tied to the frame which can be done but isnt the easiest on the front seat of the P&T. Also the Iglu is longer which is good as the P&T seat is rather undeep/horizontal so the zip off one (natura) will be outgrown quicker.

Another option is to order the longer and deluxe version of the Natura which is called the Dubla (see kaiser link, page 10) but they cost a whopping £110 each!

Hope this helps!

loucee Fri 11-Jul-08 23:28:39

AQ - velcro straps to where? to hold it onto the P&T? They are expensive but when I add up the cost of a sheepskin liner and a really sturdy footmuff it is the same cost

B2C thanks for joining the thread, sorry if I misinterpreted the information you gave me. I don't really understand what you mean about the IGLU one fitting over the frame, is it similar to the Jogger Duluxe one I have where it has a square piece of material and some cords attached?

accessorizequeen Sat 12-Jul-08 09:51:51

Onto the p&T? I don't have one so don't know how they're built but surely you could attach something? Footmuff going to be used for several years AND can be sold on if in good nick so worth it if you're using most of the year. I was pleased I bought a really nice buggysnuggle and sold the one I had as I'll be using it for 3 more years!

The footmuff I had that didn't zip off really annoyed me as the folds hung over the buggy and got in the way, got dirty etc.

loucee Sat 12-Jul-08 18:28:58

I wish there was somewhere I could go and see these in person before buying - will need to jump on the Scottish threads and see if anyone knows nof a place near me.

baby2childhood Sat 12-Jul-08 20:39:02

No the Jogger Deluxe has the same as the Natura footmuff where you tie them to the frame to attach them firmly.

The iglu one has a sort of pocket at the back and you slide this over the top of the backrest and that is how is stays on, no hassle to tie it to the frame and very easily removed if you need to swap it or take it off (idea is a bit like a pillow cushion).

I am afraid I dont know of any shops that stock them in Scotland but we do have a return policy in case....

loucee Sun 13-Jul-08 21:16:52

Thanks B2C, I don't think the Iglu footmuff will secure to my phil and teds then as the mainseat doesn't have access to the backrest as it folds down flat with material suspended either side for newborns.

I'll keep on looking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now