Talk

Advanced search

Buggypod / double / tandem!!!???

(18 Posts)
navyeyelasH Tue 08-Jul-08 11:45:27

Hey everyone I am really hoping for some good advice here as I am at al loss now!

In November I will be looking after (as a nanny) 2 11 months olds as part of a nanny share. I want to get myself a pushchair.

Ideally I want a single that is really small and light (then I can use it for other children I care for ad-hoc) that can be used by itself and then something that adds on like a buggypod.

The only thing I can find that fits this description is a Phil and Teds which costs so so much money it's unreal (second hand ones hold their value really well too!!). So I thought about a super lightweight pushchair (something like this: www.twoleftfeet.co.uk/acatalog/QuickSmart_Easy_Fold_Black.html)
But I am not sure how durable they are?

Then the other problem I have is that I have read review about the buggypod which aren't great, saying that it's not safe and that it doesn't fir through doors.

I do drive so whatever I gt wont get that much use but it's really important that it's small because I live in a one bed flat so space is at a premium for storing and a drive a fiesta which doesn't have the worlds biggest boot! I'm also looking to do this for as cheap as possible, £100 or less ideally. Am I asking the impossible?!?!

Anyone have a solution for me? Thanks!

foxythesnowfox Tue 08-Jul-08 11:47:56

Check out the mamas & papas website - they have a sale on. I've just bought a double buggy for £70 down from £140. Its meant to fit through standard single doorways. HTH smile

navyeyelasH Tue 08-Jul-08 11:49:43

Oh and also....

both seats need to have a recline!

If I can't do it for as cheap as £100 I might as well go the whole hog and buy the best I can so what's the lightest smallest double pushchair on the market at the moment (no price limit).

Thanks in advance! x

mumo75 Tue 08-Jul-08 12:12:45

ABC adventure buggy

http://www.abcbuggy.co.nz/index.html

both main seat and reclining toddler seat recline for a newborn!!!

thehairybabysmum Tue 08-Jul-08 12:24:47

Just spent several hours looking at all options on sat...the best we found is the silver cross pop duo. Nippy, folds up compact, upright seats so theyre not slumped in them.

Its about 180.00 but if you wait a coupleof weeks they are bringing out a new version (essential;ly the same but different pattern) which wil costthe same but include two footmuffs also. see bambinodirect for info.

I have a single travel buggy v. similar to the one you have linked too, its fab for travelling as youcan use it as hand luggage on plane but it is not suitable for everyday use and defo not sturdy enough for a buggy pod i think. I wouldnt even use a buggy board with mine.

thehairybabysmum Tue 08-Jul-08 12:26:21

link to s cross duo...best price i found

here

thehairybabysmum Tue 08-Jul-08 12:26:28

link to s cross duo...best price i found

here

navyeyelasH Tue 08-Jul-08 12:33:22

Hey everyone thanks for the advice so far, so nice of you all to take the time to answer my silly questions!

foxythesnowfox - can't seem to find any double pushchairs on the site but found a very good car seat so thank you! Delivery is a bit pricey though so wonder if I can pick it up?

mumo75 - fab site they all look amazing! Do you know if the toddler seat fits on different pushchairs or it it just the ABC pushchairs? I'm worried that a side by side wont fit through doors?

thehairybabysmum - (coo name!) I really like the sound of that one, but again side by side; will there be any issue going through doors? Also it means it would also have to be sued as a double and can't be used as a single (am I right?)

I think you are right about the buggyboard combination being too flimsy! Which is such a shame. With the travel buggy, you said it's not suitable for everyday use? I would be suing mine once a week max, and for 1 hour max at a time - some weeks no use at all. do you think that sort of use would be ok?

mumo75 Tue 08-Jul-08 13:12:53

abc tddler seat just fits on abc buggies

foxythesnowfox Tue 08-Jul-08 14:08:46

this one

I'm wondering if its worth calling them if you are interested in it? Its so cheap, and a good brand. I had a look around on Saturday and couldn't find anything cheaper.

thehairybabysmum Wed 09-Jul-08 09:34:53

Yes the travel buggy would be fine for that...we have used ours lots and its still in good nick after 2 years, just not good for everyday i would say.

I also have a Bertini pram which has a separte detachable toddler seat on top which is fantastic (emmaljunga also do one i think) for newborn plus toddler but not ideal now my youngest is 9 months as he wants to sit up also (hence the purchase of a side by side).

The ABC one looks great but v. bulky i reckon. Also i dont think that the big 3 wheelers are that much slimmeer than a slim double buggy for doors etc...my bertini pram is quite wide as is the phil and teds which the ABC looks similar too.

What about these.... buggy clips you could just get two cheap singles and clip together?

navyeyelasH Wed 09-Jul-08 11:01:14

Hey everyoen thanks once again for the suggestions shame about the toddler ABC clip on seat!

thehairybabysmum - those clips are a great idea as far as my ideas go, I can still use one pushchair at a time, can get cheap enough push chairs that recline, plus they are very cheap.

I think this is what I might have to do, buy 2 of those weeny travel pushchairs (because they are so great for storing!) and some clips - do you think that would work?

Also do you think that the travel pushchairs would be compatible with a lascal buggyboard?

Thanks once again for all the great help x

thehairybabysmum Wed 09-Jul-08 11:35:09

ummm, not sure the clips would work with those travel buggies; if you look at the picture of how they attch i think it would need to be a stroller type buggy. The travel buggy doesnt have the 'down' struts at the back for them to clip onto.

Also not sure about the buggyboard...maybe just not sturdy enough. Also i think 11 months too young for a buggyboard..my ds was nearly 2 when i got mine and i reckon that would be about the youngest age.

Those cheap strollers do fold down v small though

TheBlonde Wed 09-Jul-08 11:43:08

double nipper?

naomi83 Wed 09-Jul-08 17:31:42

even our super active son still needed a buggy full time till he was 14 months, and at 16months we still use it for longer walks, all his "friends" are still in buggies full time so you'll need a decent buggy. the best side by side is nipper 360, wide but very comfy, th best tandem is phil and teds, and also don't buy off two left feet, too many people have got screwed by them. we've found kiddicare.com to be great, and then have mcclaren twin tiumph's for 125pounds, bargain!

navyeyelasH Wed 09-Jul-08 20:20:41

Thehairybabysmum - the buggyboard would be for the older children I look after. The 11 months old I will be looking after in November will be 11 months when I start so still only 5 months at the min! Way too early to think about putting them on a buggy board. I think you are right about the clips too having re-examined the picture! I just like the idea that the travel ones fold up so weeny so would be so easy to store in my flat. I can't really keep it in my boot you see.

Theblonde - what's a double nipper? I will google it now and find out.

naomi83 - I will have a look at the ones you mentioned I'm thinking that if I'm going to spend more than £100 I might as well get a phil and ted - but the thing is the children will be the same age (one is a lot smaller at the minute but still a few months to go till I have to look after them both so who knows by then!) What age do you think the bag seat would be ok until?

Also what are everyone's thoughts on tandem v side by side? Is there ever a clear winner?

quickerthistimeplease Wed 09-Jul-08 22:43:10

navyeyelash- may be completely off the point but why is it you who has to buy the buggy?
Lots of people round here do nanny shares and they all bought the double buggies, not the nanny- just a thought?

navyeyelasH Thu 10-Jul-08 10:45:25

hey quickthistimeplease,

I figured that, because I look after children on a ad-hoc basis as well as doing a nanny share then it made more sense for me to get it rather than the parents who may not get any good use out of it as they only have 1 LO each.

Also I'm probably a bit of a soft touch - I'm paying half of ofsted registration (my idea) which I also think it's the norm? But I think it is fairer to spilt costs 50/50.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now