Talk

Advanced search

Baby backpack which collapses for packing

(13 Posts)
travellinglight Tue 08-Jul-08 11:32:46

We are travelling to Europe by plane with our 14 month old. We'll be taking a lightweight buggy plus (at least) 2 other items of luggage. We'd like to take a baby backpack for (short) walks where the buggy is not suitable. But we can't very easily take it as a separate item due to luggage restrictions. Anyone recommend a good one which collapses quite small for packing?

WarmFuzzy Tue 08-Jul-08 11:33:52

Patapum or Ergo?

travellinglight Tue 08-Jul-08 20:25:42

Well, maybe I'm expecting too much but I'd prefer one where her head's up at our shoulder height as I think she'd like to see what's going on...

cmotdibbler Tue 08-Jul-08 21:07:15

You want a Podegai or a MeiTai then. Pods are best for high back carries as they have a single strap that goes under the babies arms, over your shoulders, round under your arms, cross over on their bottom, under their legs, and back round to tie on your front (which is all much easier than it sounds). Tiny to pack, very versatile, and one size fits all.

You can do a high back carry with a MeiTai too, by tieing the waist straps just under your bust. A MT is a bit more user friendly, and usually comes with a sleep hood or head rest so that they can sleep in it too. Again, packs very very small.

spicemonster Tue 08-Jul-08 21:13:43

You can take a baby backpack AND buggy and neither will count as luggage per se. I took both skiing with me earlier this year (and flew with Easyjet who are not known for generosity vis luggage)

I have an old Tomy Snugli - just checked it in with my bags and then dropped the buggy off when boarding

travellinglight Sat 12-Jul-08 06:55:51

Many thanks everyone, very useful. I think my back might prefer a frame-based carrier so we'll perhaps check with BA re. luggage allowance (and indeed test what we can manage to carry by train to the airport). Travelling becomes a whole new ordeal with a baby!

belgo Sat 12-Jul-08 07:06:21

grin it's even more of an ordeal when they become toddlers. I've travelled with dd2 in an ergo up until she was two and a half years old (stopped using it as I am pregnant). It's extremely comfortable. I can carry a back pack on my front, or get dh to carry the bags. Very convenient way of travelling.

belgo Sat 12-Jul-08 07:07:11

You can get a rucksack attachment for the ergo, but I've never used this.

LIZS Sat 12-Jul-08 07:10:44

Our Vaude framed one went flat so could have been placed in a large case or bag.

bloss Sat 12-Jul-08 07:18:12

Message withdrawn

bloss Sat 12-Jul-08 07:20:21

Message withdrawn

seeker Sat 12-Jul-08 07:26:28

But try them out first - our dd absolutely hated being in a back pack - screamed blue murder and panicked. I don't thing she like being so high up. Hated shoulder rides too. Seriously cramped our style, she did!

heathermcg Wed 16-Jul-08 23:07:06

Hi there
If you check with the airway, I have a Vango back carrier - fantastic, very hardwearing with a sunshade, changemat and raincover. Metal stand which folds down flat, the backpack does fold down, but not fantastically flat - due to padded 5 point harness and all padded straps for parent as well as a 10 litre capacity pouch underneath where the child sits. Well worth the money (it was nearky £100).

Do have mine that I need to sell on, let me know if you want photos etc...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now