Talk

Advanced search

Cot versus Cot Bed?

(17 Posts)
firsttimer08 Fri 04-Jul-08 21:21:49

We are debating over whether to buy a cot or a cot bed. Space is a slight issue, but it should not be too much of a squeeze, putting a cot bed in our bedroom.

My only concern is that most cot beds do not have a drop down side. How important is that and is it rather back breaking to 'scoop' up the baby if there isn't one?

Anyone willing to share their experiences with either a cot or cot bed?

Bowddee Fri 04-Jul-08 21:25:34

The cot bed we have for DS had a way of setting the height of the mattress, so it didn't matter that the side didn't drop down. However, every time I have to sleep with DS because he's really poorly I really curse the fact that we bought a cot bed. I'm 5'3" and it's too short for me to be even slightly comfortable.

SazzlesA Fri 04-Jul-08 21:31:28

Message withdrawn

ScaryHairy Fri 04-Jul-08 21:36:38

With our cot I never used the drop down side as the height of the mattress was adjustable.

I agree with Sazzles about cotbeds if you want more children, though. By the time you have another, your child may well be in a normal bed.

Jojay Fri 04-Jul-08 21:42:24

I don't see the point in cotbeds either - you'll need a proper single at some point, so they might as well go straight from cot to that.

copingvquietly Fri 04-Jul-08 21:44:51

ive got a cotbed for j and i never even considered the lack of dropside when he was tiny but now its a pain in the arsehmm

littleducks Fri 04-Jul-08 21:48:18

I have a cot and a toddler bed, dd went from cot to toddler bed at 20 months ish as ds was on his way and would need cot. You dont need the dropside so much when the mattress is high but when they are sitting/standing and you lower the mattress is should save your back a bit.

theirmum Fri 04-Jul-08 23:37:07

I has a cotbed for DS1 and never used it as a bed he went straight into his big boy bed at 2 years! This time around I have gone for a nice cot I found that I could get a nicer cot for my money rather than get the bottom of the range cotbed

meglet Sat 05-Jul-08 19:33:57

We got a cotbed for DS who is now 20months. TBH I don't have a problem not having a drop side, but I did used to lift weights at the gym.

He is pretty big but staying in it (with the sides up) until he decides to try and get out. We have got a normal cot for his baby sister, due in Sept.

We don't have room in the smaller bedroom for a proper bed so DD will have the cot bed when she is bigger - then we have to move house when she grows out of it.

swampster Sat 05-Jul-08 19:41:38

Bedside cot - co-sleep - or not! Lovely.

firsttimer08 Sun 13-Jul-08 18:06:04

Thanks all ! Based on this, I am now somewhat leaning towards the cot. It is slightly cheaper and as you said if another one comes along in 2-3 years time, then we would need the cot anyway.

btw any experience with using grobags versus blankets? They look quite expensive (£25 or so), but are they all they're touted to be?

merryandmad Sun 13-Jul-08 18:17:42

grobags definatley- you can put dc in them when getting ready for bed- they don't get cold on night feed, they don't kick them off, they don't wake up when you put blanket on etc.
Asda do a newborn "grobags"- not the official one- but same idea and I think they are about £10-£15. I think the 1st size is 0-6months.
PS. we had a mamas and papas cotbed for dd1- made a big fuss about it turning into a bed- then after putting blankets on it as a bed - dp sat on it (not heavily and cracked it) It has since been repaired and works well for as a cot for dd2- but dd1 went straight from cot into a full size bed.

LenniEd Sun 13-Jul-08 20:37:14

Definately growbags - can get them cheaper from other places as MerryandMad says. Also might be worth checking out NCT nearly new sales as you often see baby sleeping bags there for a few pounds and sometimes unused. Our DD like others went straight into a full size single at 15mo. Am glad she did as we have no.2 on the way now and will need the cot.

isaidno Sun 13-Jul-08 20:45:16

TKmaxx sell official grobags for about £15 - and non official ones for about £10. They are much easier than blankets.

I agree that cot bed is often a waste of money, often never really being used as a bed.

TsarChasm Sun 13-Jul-08 20:49:31

Dd1 had a cotbed and it was great and we certainly got our money's worth from it.

Dt's had cots (because we couldn't get two cotbeds in their room). They were nice but I would have preferred cotbeds.

The drop down side aspect was never an issue really. In fact tbh I'd forgotten about that until you mentioned it firsttimer.

LaVieEnRose Sun 13-Jul-08 21:08:51

ds has a cotbed and the lack of a drop down side is not an issue really. Only problem is when he sleeps at his grandmas in the cot she has or on holiday in the hotel's cot he was forever banging into the sides when he rolled over which woke him up. Cotbeds are much roomier!

StealthPolarBear Sun 13-Jul-08 21:11:10

always found nice grobags on ebay
wherever you're getting them from though check the tog rating, it didn't even occur to me, but the supermarket ones I got were all 2.5, too hot for summer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now